Old 03-13-2017, 06:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default hazard switch goes in, doesn't come out/turn off

It's probably a simple solution, but I don't want to go "Mongo".

I replaced my turn signal switch. After getting things back together, I checked the hazards. The knob pushes in, but doesn't pop back out. There is a little tab on the inner diameter of the old turn signal switch that pops the hazard mechanism back out with ease. But trying to pull on the place where the knob screws in won't release the switch. I don't want to break it. Any clues or tips? I have probably used hazard lights 6 times total in my life, so maybe I am missing the magic combination of push/pull/twist on this car.

Thanks!

Old 03-14-2017, 06:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There is just a little flat spring that returns it back out.( I have had this fall off before putting it all back together). you should just be able too pull it out (the knob) with a LITTLE pressure..if not it either needs some lube or is hung up somewhere...or the spring is not there or broken..it is a pretty basic operation..

Old 03-14-2017, 06:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

a couple of picts
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1013.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	449620   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1014.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	449621  

Old 03-15-2017, 01:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The black tab in the middle of the 2nd pic releases the switch with just the tiniest bit of pressure, like there was some other interlock function going on there. Steering wheel is coming back off tonight.

My electrical had torched up under the dash on the previous owner's watch. It caught fire at the key buzzer relay. When I swapped out this switch, the new switch connector didn't totally match the old one. I think the PO swapped in a junkyard piece from an unknown GM vehicle. I removed the key buzzer switch during turn signal R/R.

Thanks, Forrest. I will post back with any updates. I don't want to break a new switch. I've cost myself too much money over the years by not taking a careful finesse approach.

Old 03-15-2017, 06:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wheel came back off, and I couldn't figure it out. The only thing I could think of was maybe the key buzzer switch/spring interacted with that tab to make it release easier. I won't be attaching the hazard knob to prevent accidental engagement. I don't have the patience to mess with something I might never use, especially when this car has much bigger fish to fry. On to bigger fish!

Old 03-15-2017, 12:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Key buzzer has no effect on this.. the black plastic tab has a little tiny tab that catches the metal plate when pushed in right in front where the spring is.. I'm sure there is a simple solution..it is a very simple switch..might be something inside the emer. sw. area that is jamming it up