Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 02-28-2022, 08:38 PM

Default Factory A/C with aluminum heads and tall valve covers

Installing KRE heads with roller cam, so I need the taller valve covers. How have people kept the stock a/c compressor since the brackets mount to the intake and head bolt stud? I really don't want to change compressors if I don't have to, but I know the factory bracket won't clear the taller valve covers and I don't have a head bolt anymore to connect to with the KRE heads and new head bolts. Thanks in advance.

65 Catalina 2DHT, 389 bored 0.060 over, Crower 60916 cam, #16 heads, CR Q-Jet, TH400, Continental 13", 3.42 Posi, Frame-off resto, RARE Long branch manifolds, 2-1/2" Pypes with X-pipe and Goerlich Turbo mufflers
Old 02-28-2022, 10:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Have you tried 67 covers with 5/16 gasket?They will take 660 lift with 1.65 rockers.Tom

Old 03-01-2022, 10:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65catalina View Post
Installing KRE heads with roller cam, so I need the taller valve covers. How have people kept the stock a/c compressor since the brackets mount to the intake and head bolt stud? I really don't want to change compressors if I don't have to, but I know the factory bracket won't clear the taller valve covers and I don't have a head bolt anymore to connect to with the KRE heads and new head bolts. Thanks in advance.
why do you need taller valve covers with a roller cam? wasnt aware the cam required taller valve covers, isn't that more related to the rockers arms? & even then, most people can get away with stock height covers but use a thicker gasket.

i have a pretty big OF roller cam with H/S 1.5 rockers & they clear stock height aluminum covers with a thicker felpro gasket. i dont run a/c but looks like it would fit with the slightly thicker gaskets.

Old 03-01-2022, 11:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The issue will be if he wants to use 65-66 valve covers.Not as much room.Tom

Old 03-01-2022, 11:45 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I ran into this problem with my '78 TA. I had the larger valve covers put on and remembered to get a smaller power brake booster, but forgot about the A/C compressor. A new bracket was fabricated but the belt was too long and would not stay on. Also, I had to lose the stock overflow for the radiator.

So now over the winter, I had a March pulley system put on , along with an aftermarket overflow for the radiator.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-01-2022, 03:40 PM

Sorry guys, this is for my 71 GTO 400 stroker. I was told the original covers would not work with the new valve train due to clearance issues. I should be getting the heads in a couple weeks, so I will test fit and see if the thicker gaskets might work? Just trying to stay ahead of things. Using PRW 1.5 aluminum rockers with the HR230 roller cam. It looks like I will have to fab up some kind of bracket for the A/C compressor, but I was just seeing if someone had already done this and it might save me some time. Thanks.

65 Catalina 2DHT, 389 bored 0.060 over, Crower 60916 cam, #16 heads, CR Q-Jet, TH400, Continental 13", 3.42 Posi, Frame-off resto, RARE Long branch manifolds, 2-1/2" Pypes with X-pipe and Goerlich Turbo mufflers
Old 03-01-2022, 05:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

65Cat...If it's not too late you may want to consider different roller rockers, haven't heard great things about PRW.