Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 11-20-2007, 08:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default best heater for my gagrage

i need a heater for my garage...dont want to work in the cold this winter ! the thing is all i have is a normal 2 car suburban garage. there is not a lot of room for a heater (close to cars.... dont want to hurt the paint). i dont have a 220 outlet either.

just looking for reccomendation on a good brand of electric or kerosene heater for a small space. i guess saftey it the main concern so i am a little reluctant to use kerosene....will i need to vent a kerosene unit ? the doors are semi-insulated so i dont expect it to be 80 degrees in there but maybe i can wear sweat pants and a t-shirt instead of long pants and gloves !!!

Old 11-20-2007, 09:26 AM
Suspended

Hang a unit heater from the ceiling and run it off an LP tank.

They have units that can be vented out the sidewall with PVC pipe or less expensive ones that can be vented conventionally with B vent.

Home depot has the conventionally vented models I know. Maybe they even have the direct vent?

Call a local heating supply co. Most are willing to help the general public.

Old 11-20-2007, 09:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

IM IN THE SAME BOAT.... no room & 200K worth of cars cant have a fire or any issuses

Old 11-20-2007, 10:08 AM
Suspended

A few 300 watt light bulbs will heat it and give off some very good light.

Old 11-20-2007, 10:22 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My friend heats his two car garage with two oil filled radiator heaters. They work great and since there is not a open heat source the chance of fire is minimal. He keeps it around 55 during the winter. When he wants to work on something he just turns them up and turns a fan on near them to move the heat around. In about half a hour you are pulling off your coat and turning down the heater. You can get them at wally world or cheapo depot for around $50. I wouldn't think you would have to worry about the paint on the car since you can grab and hold one for a few seconds before the heat gets to uncomfortable. They are slender and don't take up much room either.

Glen

Old 11-20-2007, 10:36 AM

Get something to insulate your garage door, if it's not already. I have a suburban two car garage that I keep warm in the winter with a Pelonis Disk furnace. It's tiny, but I can work out there wearing a sweatshirt and be fine.

Old 11-20-2007, 10:36 AM

is the garage attached? do you have hot water baseboard, if so just tap in with another zone, or tap in on the return and put a hanging fan forced hot water heater. Or do what I did, put a small pellet stove in.

Old 11-20-2007, 10:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You didn't mention where you live - Phoenix or Fairbanks? Is your garage insulated?

Old 11-20-2007, 10:58 AM
Senior Chief

Location: Illinois-Where Our Ex-Governors Make Our License Plates

I put one of these in my garage two years ago and just love it. They are available in both propane and natural gas. This is the propane model. you can just do a search of the supplier's store if you need a natural gas one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/COMFORT-GLOW-30K...QQcmdZViewItem

Old 11-20-2007, 01:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

thanks for the ideas...i hadnt considered propane. i already own a bunch of tanks for the grill and then i wouldnt have to use the FEW electrical outlets i have for the power....

Old 11-20-2007, 01:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Get a Modine with a power vent. Best money I ever spent. However, it's a little over kill for where I live now but I needed it before.