Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 06-02-2021, 03:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default M-20 Muncie

Wondering if any of you guys changed shift rods / pit pack bushings while trans still in the car. Mine started shifting a little harder the other day, usually from 3-2, shifts perfect if just testing while motor is off.........thought i would add a little gear lube just in case its low.

Thought maybe i could change out all the bushings on the rods, man thats tight in there, hate to pull the transmission just to change these out.

Maybe i need to get the car on a lift to see if this is possible while in the car............the car is a 66 gto, let me know if you guys have done it this way.

Rich

Old 06-02-2021, 03:20 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Shouldn't be a issue but if you find it too tight drop the shifter, rods an all.

Frank

Old 06-02-2021, 09:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ok, not getting much action here, lets try a different approach, put more GL4 lube in, wasnt much..........for whatever reason car isnt shifting like before........trans was rebuilt about 6 years ago, always shifted ok...........so im wondering if i have a shifter problem or a clutch problem. With car off, and no clutch shifting is pretty much great, every now and then it hangs up in a gear............with the motor running and using the clutch 1-2 is good, 2-3 is tough, which is odd because for the last 5 or so years i never missed a 2-3 shift.

When i start the car and try to put in reverse i sometimes get a clunk/grind noise, this is starting the car in netural then going to reverse.

So as of right now, seems like im having issues going from 3rd to 2nd, other than that not too bad.

Any suggestions on what to try next.

Rich

Rich

Old 06-02-2021, 09:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If your clutch tends to be grabbing near the top of the pedal travel, you can try adjusting the clutch rod...(to the fork), or it's your clutch.

George

Old 06-02-2021, 09:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It sounds like your clutch is not fully disengaging. Where does it release? Near the top or at the floor? If it's real close to the floor it may not be fully disengaging and that might cause the problem you are describing.

Old 06-02-2021, 09:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey thanks George..........im gonna give that a try, the clutch is a CF, not that many miles on it..........checking on how to do the clutch adjustment, oh boy, talk about being in no mans land. lol

To tell the truth , im thinking maybe its time for this old boy to just switch over to a auto, shifting the car at my age is just getting old.

Rich

Old 06-02-2021, 09:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtospieg View Post
It sounds like your clutch is not fully disengaging. Where does it release? Near the top or at the floor? If it's real close to the floor it may not be fully disengaging and that might cause the problem you are describing.
Didnt see this while i was one figuring my response...........i have about a inch of free play on the clutch............hard to tell where its releasing, seems somewhat closer to the floor.

But bascially the car shifts without issues if i press the clutch in a couple inches or all the way to the floor............well that is what it use to do.

So im not sure what my problem / issue is

Rich

Old 06-02-2021, 09:52 PM

If its hard to get into gear its most likely worn syncro rings, if its hard to get out of gear then most likely its worn shift forks. If you drive the car regularly then six years
sounds about right for syncro and shift fork replacement.

Old 06-02-2021, 10:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

GTO Rich...to determine exactly where the clutch is catching just put the car in gear with the clutch all the way down...then very slowly(no gas pedal)let the clutch pedal up...you'll be able to tell when and where it starts grabbing. let us know what you find.

Old 06-02-2021, 10:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
GTO Rich...to determine exactly where the clutch is catching just put the car in gear with the clutch all the way down...then very slowly(no gas pedal)let the clutch pedal up...you'll be able to tell when and where it starts grabbing. let us know what you find.
Thank you, i will try this tomorrow.............as far as wearing parts, since i had the trans done i only have about 3-4 thou miles on it........

Thanks for the help boys

Rich

Old 06-03-2021, 09:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtorich View Post
Wondering if any of you guys changed shift rods / pit pack bushings while trans still in the car. Mine started shifting a little harder the other day, usually from 3-2, shifts perfect if just testing while motor is off.........thought i would add a little gear lube just in case its low.

Thought maybe i could change out all the bushings on the rods, man thats tight in there, hate to pull the transmission just to change these out.

Maybe i need to get the car on a lift to see if this is possible while in the car............the car is a 66 gto, let me know if you guys have done it this way.

Rich
I have done that. It was not to difficult laying on my back with the front wheels up on car ramps

Old 06-03-2021, 10:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhcarguy View Post
I have done that. It was not to difficult laying on my back with the front wheels up on car ramps
Wow, im gonna have to get the car up a little higher than my rhino ramps, cant fit under there to save my life............will take another look at that deal once i get this clutch situation straighten out.

Will look into sweet talking my wife into this job..........wont be the first time she"s worked on the car............im sure she will jump right on it. lol......her hands are smaller, should be easy.

Rich
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	All my pics 665.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	567630   Click image for larger version

Name:	Heater core install (1).jpg
Views:	183
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	567631  

Old 06-03-2021, 03:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
gtospieg, ok for todays test, i must be getting old because i dont remember it being this close to the floor...............letting the clutch out slow it starts moving the car about a 1/2 to inch off the floor.

Another test i did today, from Jodys Transmissions, get car warm, stop and let the car idle for 10 seconds then put in reverse, shouldnt be any noise...........did this a few times, sometimes in grinded a little other times not...........if i pushed the clutch all the way to the floor really hard it only did it once or twice in about 7-8 tries...........But if i put in 1st first, then tried reverse it when in most all the time.

When checking the clutch pedal in car it sits about 6 inches from floor, i push the pedal untill i feel a slight resistance its about 4 1/2 from the floor.

So now i have to figure what way to turn what to get the clutch pedal to grab up much higher, dont want to wear out my old knees pushing that thing to the floor all the time. lol

So where im at now, if trying to put the shifter from 3-2 if it doesnt go in right away, i just push the clutch in again and it seems to work that way.

Sorry for the long post, just hard to explain in a few sentences.

Rich

Rich

Old 06-03-2021, 04:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Gtorich...that sounds like what I expected you would find. The adjustment you need to make is to "lengthen" the adjustment rod. This will bring the engagement of the clutch further from the floor. You may need to try a couple of times to get it right. Good luck, I think this will solve your problem.

The Following User Says Thank You to gtospieg For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2021, 07:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Gtorich...that sounds like what I expected you would find. The adjustment you need to make is to "lengthen" the adjustment rod. This will bring the engagement of the clutch further from the floor. You may need to try a couple of times to get it right. Good luck, I think this will solve your problem.
Thank you my good man, im gonna try this on the weekend, its supposed to be 93-94, nothing like sweating to death under the car. lol

Also plan to take out the nylon bushing in the shifter rods........might as well do everything and see what happens.

Thanks again guys for the help

Rich

Old 06-03-2021, 10:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Gtorich...no problem, glad to help. Let us know how it works out.

Old 06-03-2021, 11:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm in the habit of quickly going 1st to reverse with 4 speeds to avoid gear clash. I also find myself going from 4th to 2nd and straight up to first if I'm sitting at a light. It slows the rotation and makes a smoother transition. Good that your using GL4 oil. Synthetics can be too slick and cause grinding.

Old 06-04-2021, 01:01 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtorich View Post
Thank you my good man, im gonna try this on the weekend, its supposed to be 93-94, nothing like sweating to death under the car. lol

Also plan to take out the nylon bushing in the shifter rods........might as well do everything and see what happens.

Thanks again guys for the help

Rich
The nylon bushings in the shifter rods would fall out after several years and then slop would occur in the shifter. I had this happen in my first Judge. That was a M20 trans too. I drove that car around the world and back. The shifter developed a lot of slop and I spoke with a shifter doctor I know about this. He replaced the bushings and the shifter was positive again. I was told the nylon bushings were used for noise reduction. Good luck!!!

Old 06-04-2021, 02:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Worn shift rod bushings not only affect the feel of the shifter, they can reduce the actual rotation of the shift levers on the trans as the shifter has to "takeup the slack" before actually moving the shift levers. Deoending on where the "overshift" stop is set, you may not get full mesh of the gears.

Reverse has no synchro so a slight "snick" is typical when going directly to reverse. "Double clutching" (shift to 1st or 2nd, back to neutral, release the clutch, then depress the clutch again and shift into reverse. allows the non-synchro gears to equalize their rotational speed prior to engaging.

Old 06-04-2021, 03:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ok guys, got it up on the jack stands.........as usual new problem.....Noticed when pushing in the clutch the clutch rod doesnt move straight back and forth, cleaned up some by the Z bar and noticed the nut on the end was loose..........motor was too hot to do anything more, but if you look at the pics it seems that nut is kind of bent, wondering if i broke anything in there....i take it this nut goes on the Frame Ball Stud...R-167F in the ames book. Do i crank this puppy pretty tight...........im gonna clean it up good tomorrow and see whats is going on there.

Any suggestions as in just buy a new ball stud.

Rich
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Z bar pic (1).jpg
Views:	140
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	567701   Click image for larger version

Name:	Z bar pic (2).jpg
Views:	129
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	567702