Non Pontiac Motors in Pontiacs includes factory 403,305,350 Chevy, Buick V6,
Also Pontiac Motors in non-Pontiacs!

Old 08-23-2013, 05:48 PM

Default 326 into a Camaro

I am putting a 1967 Pontiac 326 engine in a 1974 Camaro. Can anyone help with motor mounts and frame mounts? I have been getting a lot of conflicting information from the various parts vendors and I am hoping that there may be a few experts out there that can help. I have the proper engine and frame mounts for the engine and it looks like the engine mounts will have to move forward on the block and the frame mounts will have to move backwards on the cross member. Again, any help will be appreciated.

Old 08-23-2013, 11:36 PM
Senior Chief

Welcome to the PY forums lee67. To be honest I have no idea.But would love to see it just to piss off bow tie fans. Hell seen alot of sbc in Pontiacs . Maybe post the street section.

Old 08-24-2013, 01:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The problem you'll have is that the 2nd gen F-body used the later style mounts that used the 3 bolt pattern. The '67 326 will only have bolt holes for the earlier style 2 bolt mounts. You will need to find adapter plates to put the later style mounts onto the earlier block. After that it'll be easy.

PY carries the adapters you need-

1979 Trans Am 400, 4-speed, 4 wheel disc.

View from the drivers seat racing down Atco Raceway- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhYDMdOEC7A

Ride along in the other lane-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIzgpLtF_uw
Old 08-24-2013, 02:22 PM

Default Adapters

So these engine block adapters will then attach to the existing Camaro frame mounts?
Thanks/Lee

Old 08-24-2013, 02:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

yes they will x2

Old 08-24-2013, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee67 View Post
So these engine block adapters will then attach to the existing Camaro frame mounts?
Thanks/Lee
Likely not, unless Firebird frame stands and mounts and Camaro frame stands and mounts are the same, which I doubt.

The adapters are made to be used with the Firebird parts, for adapting an early Pontiac block where a later block normally resides.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-man View Post
Likely not, unless Firebird frame stands and mounts and Camaro frame stands and mounts are the same, which I doubt.

The adapters are made to be used with the Firebird parts, for adapting an early Pontiac block where a later block normally resides.
Are the frame mounts for the Pontiac engine on a 74 the earlier style metal ones (same as 73) or are they the later style with the rubber mount on the frame side? I would think that if they're the earlier style, you could just bolt a set of Firebird frame mounts and then use the adapters. If they're the newer style, the actual rubber/metal frame mount should be the same as the Camaro, but you might need to relocate it for the Pontiac engine (and you'd still need the adapters to use the Firebird clamshell engine brackets, as pictured). The subframes are the same, but you might have to drill some holes if the Pontiac mount holes aren't already there.

Or, you could do what some previous owner did to my 73 Formula - They welded a set of First Gen frame brackets to the subframe and used the two-bolt First Gen mounts. They did a pretty good job - it took hours with a grinder to get them off and reinstall the correct mounts! I would presume that they just attached the brackets to the engine and set the engine in place in order to locate them....

I hope all my ramblings make sense....

Importsmasher

66 GTO convertible 389/4 speed (parents bought new)
73 Firebird Formula 400/4 speed
74 GTO 455/4 speed
74 Grand Am
Old 09-03-2013, 05:39 AM

Default frame mounts

It appears that the '74 frame mounts for the Camaro and firebird are the same, thus I am assuming that the rfe139 adapters will work with these frame mounts. Thanks.

Old 12-14-2013, 09:15 AM

Why couldn't you change the chevy sub frame to a Pontiac firebird sub frame?
'

Old 12-14-2013, 01:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiac1981 View Post
Why couldn't you change the chevy sub frame to a Pontiac firebird sub frame?
'
The subframe is functionally the same. The mounts that bolt to it are what change.

Old 12-14-2013, 11:19 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Back in the 90's my friend and I put a 455 and a turbo 400 out of a 72 grand prix into 72 camaro. We went to picknpull and found and used motormounts and brackets and crossmember out of a 74 firebird trans am. It was a direct bolt in, but because you want to use the early motor you will have to use the adaptor brackets that goatless has posted a pic of and then you have to buy frame brackets for a 70 to 74 second gen firebird for a pontiac motor. The frame brackets will bolt in to the camaro frame, because there are few different bolt patterns for brackets in the camaro frame.
One of the pattern is for the a Pontiac motor. Like B-Man said.

Old 12-14-2013, 11:21 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

plus the Pontiac motor has to use a Pontiac BOP bell housing pattern transmission chevies are different.