THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 01-28-2019, 02:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Coyotes Vs Deer

Don't open the photos if you are squeamish.

Coyote kill on the back property about 100' from the house. Looks like about six coyotes. Carcass isn't frozen yet so it probably happened around 9am .... daylight ... which is strange. Blood is still wet on the carcass.

I probably scared them off when I went out to plow the drive. You can see where they drug the deer back towards the tree line.

Pretty rare event up here to find a kill like this so close to a dwelling. They will be back the next couple of nights to finish it off, only about 25% consumed so far. Tempted to shoot a couple of them, really don't want a healthy coyote population this close to the house .... very close to where I let the dogs out to do their business. Would be an excellent test for the new bull barrel AR and Nikon scope.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DeerKill-1.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	504119   Click image for larger version

Name:	DeerKill-2.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	504120   Click image for larger version

Name:	DeerKill-3.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	504121   Click image for larger version

Name:	DeerKill-4.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	504122  

Old 01-28-2019, 04:25 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Smart idea

Old 01-28-2019, 05:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We have coyotes all over our neighborhood- hearing a pack of ‘em yelping is common. Don’t let your dogs out alone - they’re smart enough to learn schedules and wait. For big dogs, they’ll send a smaller one of the pack to pick a fight and run away. If the big dog chases it back to the pack...

Old 01-28-2019, 05:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've got a couple of Border Collies, which are known to go "coyote" if given opportunity .. but my guys are not the bravest beasts I've ever seen, not in the habit of picking fights

At night we always turn on the floods, have a big flashlight and keep an eye on them.

I should have got a license to hunt them ... pretty much no rules for hunting them in NY except a license ... day or night, lights, dogs, any kind of gun, no bag limit.

Old 01-28-2019, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
Don't open the photos if you are squeamish.

Coyote kill on the back property about 100' from the house. Looks like about six coyotes. Carcass isn't frozen yet so it probably happened around 9am .... daylight ... which is strange. Blood is still wet on the carcass.

I probably scared them off when I went out to plow the drive. You can see where they drug the deer back towards the tree line.

Pretty rare event up here to find a kill like this so close to a dwelling. They will be back the next couple of nights to finish it off, only about 25% consumed so far. Tempted to shoot a couple of them, really don't want a healthy coyote population this close to the house .... very close to where I let the dogs out to do their business. Would be an excellent test for the new bull barrel AR and Nikon scope.

From the pictures looks like the deer was a very small doe or a fawn. Two weeks ago I had two coyotes playing up in my field. 100 feet away were two does. I watched as the bigger Doe stomped the ground at the coyotes, and then charged them. The coyotes took off. I think if a large pack isn’t after something that big, they retreat. A large pack would surround the deer and attack it’s back end then it’s throat. We hear them at least once a week, this was the first time I saw them during the day. I have a Corgi and a Dachshund. Those coyotes would surly eat them. Scary indeed!

~MaryAnn~ AKA "Stickybuns"
1969 Firebird 400 Convertible
1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

I'm the FiredUp PY bad girl
Old 01-28-2019, 06:07 PM
Senior Chief

Use the deer carcass as bait and kill every coyote u can. I don’t usually advocate killing for the sake of killing except when it comes to coyotes. They start eating their prey before actually killing it. Savage animals.

Old 01-28-2019, 06:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

How the Most Hated Animal in America Outwitted Us All

Coyotes, the victims of attempted extermination, have found a way to thrive.

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/...story-science/

Sponsor of the world's fastest Pontiac powered Ford Fairmont (engine)
5.14 at 140 mph (1/8 mile) , true 10.5 tire, stock type suspension
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDoJnIP3HgE
Old 01-28-2019, 07:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Coyotes do not feed on the weak and sick, they are opportunist, they will try and kill everything with the same enthusiasm. Kill every one you can, any day, any time, any weapon. A good Coyote is a dead Coyote. You kill one, three show up to it's funeral.

I have been trapping and killing Coyote's all my life and have yet to put a dent in their population around here. Agreed with above advice for using the carcass as bait to shoot the ones that come back to feed on it. Load up your AR and arrange for them to meet their maker.

Tim john---

Old 01-28-2019, 08:15 PM

From NYSDEC

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Old 01-28-2019, 08:18 PM

Confusing. Also from NYSDEC

Old 01-28-2019, 09:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Caught one on my game camera a few days ago down at the pond around midnight. He was pretty large...likely 45 lbs or so.

Old 01-28-2019, 09:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

No permit needed here. Can kill them anytime day or night.
Kill all of them that you can. I pretty well always carry a pistol when I go out in my pasture and always carry when I'm on my horses. Have shot at some in my pasture before while checking fence.
Big problem around here.

A poor man has poor ways.
Old 01-28-2019, 09:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

No shortage around here. I hear lots them every night. When I first moved here there wasn't any fences around the neighbors 2 acres and one night a pack of them was outside my window and decided to all howl at once. Scared the crap out of us.

"One of the remarkable things about this campaign is that, at the time it was launched in 1931, there had been no scientific studies of coyotes. No one had any idea what they ate. The hate campaign directed at the animal just assumed it fed on all the classic game species: mule deer, pronghorns, bighorn sheep, and livestock sheep and calves.

Finally, the agency began to fund scientific studies of coyotes. What they discovered is that coyotes actually ate rodents, rabbits, fruit, all sorts of vegetables, some carrion, and mice, but had almost no impact whatsoever on the large game animals the Bureau had been arguing was their chief prey. By the late 1920s, the American Society of Mammologists was coming out in position papers against the campaign. But they weren’t able to make much of a dent. The agency just kept at it."

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 01-28-2019, 10:03 PM

Year round season here. As resident land owner I kill every one I see. They just keep coming

Old 01-28-2019, 11:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I called NYDEC today and talked to them to see if they tracked this sort of thing or were interested in investigating the kill for research, data, whatever. He said no, not in my area as it's not that uncommon ... said I was the second person today reporting a deer kill. According to him when we have deep snow cover (I'm at about 2 feet right now), slows the deer down enough to make them easy prey.

Deer appeared to be an adolescent female, probably born late spring of 2017, maybe early spring 2018, maybe 70-80 lbs. Looked healthy enough.

As of 10:30 pm tonight I've seen no sign of them coming back for the rest ... although I hear them in the distance, quite a ways away.

I'm on the borderline of nowhere up here ... no one would be complaining if I shot a few coyotes without a license ... but I'd want to warn the neighbors first. I'm guessing even a well placed 22 LR would do the trick, but probably not as cleanly as a 5.56.

Old 01-29-2019, 12:07 AM
Senior Chief

Quite a few of the coyotes shot around here look like they have mange. Some of the old timers are telling the younger ones to stop shooting the coyotes and let the mange take over the packs.

2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS Jeff Gordon Edition
2017 Dodge Challenger SXT Black Top Edition
Old 01-29-2019, 09:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Doesn't look like the coyotes came back last night, they must be eating well this winter. Did see a pretty freakin big Fisher Cat yanking on it this morning. It's going to get buried in about a foot of snow today.

Old 01-29-2019, 09:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
I've got a couple of Border Collies, which are known to go "coyote" if given opportunity .. but my guys are not the bravest beasts I've ever seen, not in the habit of picking fights ......
When we retire, border collies will be ourfun dogs for sure. They sure do learn and remember.

I got a hyper female Border Collier to submit: i'd pick her up while i was growling, and really hold her while jogging, and then let ger down to get tennis balls for her. (throw, kick, juggle)

Got to juggling 3 tennis balls and shoot a ball out at her and she'd watch fiercely for each ball.
Sometime drop all 3 balls and let out a laugh. She'd know i was playing with her.
Got a bunch of videos of her jumping up for hero-catches.

Beautiful dogs. Only own 1 if you got the time and energy to play.

She'd Totally submit next time i met up with her. Owner was extremely grateful.

Old 01-29-2019, 10:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I get them in the woods below the house. From time to time they can make an awful racket. I walked outside one night after hearing them raising hell...sounded like a fight.... just in the woods next to the house. I picked up a rock and threw it and they shut up. That's how close. What I didn't know at that time was that my neighbor on the other side of the house and was out in her driveway with her dogs when the ruckus started. She decided she needed to go in. AJ is a single black woman of about 60 years age, not very tall and weighs about 180. Recently sold her Harley and now rides one of those 3 wheeler things. After I threw the rock and it got quiet, she came back out and in the best upset black woman voice I ever heard she hollered "what the HELLLLLLL was that?"

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 01-29-2019, 01:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Coyotes around here are interbreed with domestic dogs so they have no fear of humans and will feed on pets. That is why there is a loaded .308 sitting by our front door. DNR and the sheriff’s department encourage land owners to kill coydogs, coyotes and coy wolves.

Dr. Thomas Sowell