Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 08-06-2006, 01:55 AM
Suspended

Default New 1/8 drag strip in Missouri

Heard tonight that final details are being worked out for a 1/8 mile drag strip near St. Clair Missouri. The place has romm to grow to 1/4 mile with more shut down room than Gateway. I like the idea as it is close to me. I won't even need the truck to get the race car there!!! (gotta love some nieghbors!!) Property has a very good layout. Plus, I'll be moving dirt there in prep for the strip. . I will know more hopefully very soon. I am going to try to get a Pontiac only event there as part of the first year in operation. The owners have given me a verbal high interest, so thats a start. As stated, it will start off as only an 1/8 mile, but will grow to be a 1/4 mile. One issue is the extra time it would take to make a 1/4 mile plus shut down vs. having the place ready to go by next spring if not end of this year. Some legal stuff details in the works now. When final approval is given, work starts.

Old 08-06-2006, 07:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That's good to hear. I'm not big on 1/8 mile. But, any track is good news. We've been bummed since M.A.R. closed. Gateway never seems to have their ***** together. Plus they don't have near as many dates available to race as M.A.R. did. I live in St. Peters. We drive our cars to the track. St. Clair probably isn't much of an option for me. Hopefully it will unload Gateway a little. I'm still hearing rumors about a track near Hermann. I'm sure we'll have to come down to St. Clair at least once. Keep us posted.

Old 08-06-2006, 11:12 AM
Suspended

No one involved in this project is big on 1/8 mile either, but it is a case of getting the track started first. If it was up to these guys, it would be a 1/4 with about a mile shut down room. One involved has his old funny car, that when raced was a very competitive car. But he since learned why the best way to become a millionare is to be a multi-milllionare first and start top fuel racing. I know the guys have looked at a lot of ground, and near High Hill - Hermann (basically along hwy. 19)may happen also. There is plenty of racers to have at least 3 more dragstrips in our area. Gateway has a nice track, but they can't operate it worth beans. I have only been to Gateway twice this year. I've been to Dyersburg Tn. 4 times. 205 miles from home to race at a place with a clue.

Old 12-06-2007, 03:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Any more news on this deal?

Old 12-06-2007, 04:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

Thats good news Byron; St Clair is fairly close. Hope it happens.

‘22 Toyota Sequoia V8
‘23 Lexus LS500 awd
‘95 Ford F-super duty 4wd 7.3 p-stroke
& countless Jeeps & off road vehicles.
Old 12-06-2007, 06:29 PM
Senior Chief

That would be great. I'm only 30 miles from St. Clair, and to tell ya the truth I love 1/8 mile racing. I have a feeling that if this happens Gateway's gonna lose a lot of cars. I personally have had it with Gateway. They need to either move the motorcyles to a different night or get rid of the program altogether. It sucks when you drive 70 miles pay to get in, and if your lucky get to make 2 passes. Hard to make any tuning changes. Something needs to be done, because Sikeston although an awesome track is just to far to drive. Hope it happens.

Old 12-06-2007, 06:52 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Sweet, the last time I raced the 1/8 was at Pevely before they shut there drag track down becuase of flooding. Keep us posted on the all Pontiac event, I'll be sure to make it

Old 12-06-2007, 07:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Byron- Will it be NHRA? That is cool. Another choice for a place to race. I like 1/8th mile also. It is sure easier on parts. Things happen alot quicker too.

Old 12-06-2007, 07:51 PM
Suspended

I had forgot about this posting. The deal finally fell thru from my understanding. A developer somehow bought part of the place next to where it would have been and first thing went crying he wouldn't be able to sell a house, blahblahblah. Funnything, he can't even sell a single lot right now either!!! (kinda ironic??)The same guys and gals involved in trying to get it built are looking for a place in Warren county, just across the river from Washington area and also at a place right off I-44 towards Stanton, but they are afriad that location would have too many awipes against it. Goatroper would be the closest to it there!!! Last week I started talking to our county comissioner about the need for a motorsports facility and since he is a former school super, I threw in an idea for the drivers ed. a safe place to have it by all the county schools together. You know, might as well make it attractive to him, because he is in the position to help get it done or make sure it Never happens.

Old 12-06-2007, 09:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Whatever happened to the track outside of Springfield, MO?? I can't remember the name of it right now.

Due to the current economic conditions...the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

Meet you at the finish line.....don't be late!
Old 12-06-2007, 09:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron
Whatever happened to the track outside of Springfield, MO?? I can't remember the name of it right now.
Ozark International Raceway, IHRA track. They throw some of the best street car shootouts in this area.

www.ozarkdragstrip.com

Old 12-07-2007, 07:09 AM
Suspended

The idea is getting a track that's with in 100 miles of ST.Louis area on the Missouri side of the river. Driving thru St.Louis towing a trailor sucks.

Old 12-07-2007, 09:18 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by goquick
The idea is getting a track that's with in 100 miles of ST.Louis area on the Missouri side of the river. Driving thru St.Louis towing a trailor sucks.
cant argue with ya there. when we were up there this past summer, it was f'n nuts compared to the highways in okc. haha big ass 4-5-6 lane each way, with exits and entrances looping and total craziness

Old 12-07-2007, 01:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Was on IHRA web site the other day. Seems they are picking up more tracks for next year. I see that as a GOOD sign for NHRA to pay more attention to the little guy. Something IHRA knows well.

I'm fortunate to be geographically centered in Tennessee at least 6 tracks within 2 hours to chose from(some not in TN). Heck I can think of at least 6 in TN alone. Most are 1/8 mile (though some were 1/4 mile tracks). Pure luck I chose to live here. Glad I did.

1/8 mile racing with a good program and good management is hard to beat. You can move the lines quicker and especially with a streeter not beat your parts up as much.

GoQuick remember what I said awhile back. A good location would be between an Interstate and a active railroad track! Developments seldom spring up in those areas due to noise and other concerns. Especially if a certain town/county hasnt had any industries they would like/or have tried to attract interested. They might take interest if you also ask the land to be zoned for light manufacturing/maching and automotive technology development. (ie 7 day use racing /testing new products etc.) A racing industrial park and any surrounding area within reason to be developed subject to allowing the unrestricted continuance of the facility.

Old 12-07-2007, 07:57 PM
Suspended

Bruce, You are correct. That is pretty much how it's being looked at too. Something akin to Las Vegas Motorsports developement park. Serveral big time race industry parts/components makers, Shelly converting all those Mustangs, the test/training for police course, school drivers ed course, etc. that is how to make it a real viable and welcome by community leaders deal. When they see more tax money signs, camphain bragging about bringing more jobs into an area, etc., amazing how quick they like, no love the idea.

Dirty Joe, those one lane ramps would have been just as cheap to build as multi lane ramps but the stupid broad over that project said "it isn't nessasary at this time, and our studies say it will be another 15 years before that is." Next question was how up to date is the road systems in Mo., and her reply; "We keep it at 35 years behind". No kidding !!! Lets just say the rucus following that comment ended the meeting very Early when they had just missed a chance to CATCH UP!!!

Old 12-07-2007, 11:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just don't build a track close to an airport, rookie pilots get confused.

Old 12-08-2007, 12:48 AM
Suspended

Actuly, that's the danger at ANY dragstrip old goat racer!!! Even at little outlaw tracks such as Dyersburg, tn. that is no where near an airport!!! That guy was either confused, lost, or a new style tree topper!

Old 12-08-2007, 11:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm ready for a new Drag Strip. Gateway keeps crying about their losses on points nights. But doesn't brag about the total profit on "Midnight madness". I helped them catch a cheater one night (downtrack stutter) they told him to take it out (3rd round) & go race. He lost 4th round. Some penalty. No banquet for the racers this year. "The boss" decided no one enjoyed it last year. A LOT of racers are unhappy with GIR. I'm not running points next year so I can go anywhere.
Build it, we will come! OGR

Old 12-09-2007, 04:39 AM
Suspended

old goat racer, that is exactly why the hunt is on to find a place to build a dragstrip!!! Seems that it is such a hassle to even get a pass in. It is sad I can tow to Dyersburg, Tn, about 205 miles from home, get 4-5 1/8 mile passes in BEFORE eliminations, go a min. 3 rounds and be back home in exactly the same amout of time that I'm gone to gateway to get 2-3 passes in. Most times instead of getting the 3 pre elim passes, you get fornunate to get the 2nd one anymore at gateway. I think in some ways it will get a bit better with this new guy, but they have along way to go. And they have to stop running the bikes 15 times a night!!! Just because some nutcase wants to commit suicide on 2 wheels is no reason to waste my time when my staging lane gets passed over so the nutcase gets 4 more suicide chances and I can't even get all my pre elimination runs in because they run out of time.

Old 12-09-2007, 06:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by old goat racer
I helped them catch a cheater one night (downtrack stutter) they told him to take it out (3rd round) & go race. He lost 4th round. Some penalty.
I hope your not referring to Chuck Critti. I've worked with Chuck for 15 years. He's not a cheater. I believe it was an honest mistake. Maybe foolish. But, not intentional. He had his rev limiter set too low. I'm sure he's not the only person to ever hit their rev limiter during a run. He told me, he offered to give the round, points, etc., back. He also told me that he came and apologized, to you, for it. Also, that you told him, that he "knew exactly what he was doing", and "get away from me".