Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 08-21-2009, 10:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 64 gto 13/16" centerlink

Received a new 1 today , not going to mention the vendor , part is overseas made , 1 of the 2 studs on the centerlink rotates and swivels like a tie-rod end . They say they have sold 100s. of these and never had this issue . They expect me to pay return shipping and they will send another 1 . I am now looking for another source , if there is any help as to where to find a quality replacement i would sure appreciate the info. Thank you

Old 08-22-2009, 12:00 AM
Senior Chief

Man, I really hate that sh!- t. Are you going to pay to ship it back for another piece, or are you going to take the loss and buy somewhere else? I wish I could tell you a good source but I have a Firebird. I bought my steering componants from PST - http://www.p-s-t.com

I was looking for the thicker center link for my car but only found the skinny six cylinder link.

Old 08-22-2009, 08:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Here is some pics. dangerous part to be defective .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	centerlink sink satelite 001.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	178910   Click image for larger version

Name:	centerlink sink satelite 002.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	178911   Click image for larger version

Name:	centerlink sink satelite 005.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	178912  

Old 08-22-2009, 11:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Listen to this response from the seller of this part-------I am just going to keep this short and simple. The side that you are showing that swivels is for the idler arm. If you don’t use an idler arm on your car, your car will still drive and handle perfect. The idler arm keeps the suspension vibrations down. It makes it all work in harmony. If you did not have something to support the center link on the other side, when you turn it wouldn’t keep the center link parallel. The short side attaches to the steering gear box. The steering gear box cannot swivel as much because it has to be more solid because when you turn, it will not allow it to push the center link over if it is swiveled. It has to have a little bit for shock. On the idler arm side, if you look when you turn the wheels, the idler arm moves left to right but the center link also making a left turn forward about an 1/8 of an inch so that is where the swiveling comes into effect with the center link. I know this because I just walked outside and looked at a frame that is complete. There is nothing defective with the center link that you have but please send it back and we will give you a refund and you can purchase the center link from someone else and you will see that it comes the same way. If you disconnect that side of the center link the car will still drive and turn not as good as if it had the idler arm attached to it. I feel you are being very unreasonable to the people who have tried to help you out in this situation. -----This is from the vendor of the centerlink , obviously he knows nothing about cars , disconnect the idler arm and it will still steer ????

Old 08-22-2009, 03:57 PM
Senior Chief

Default WOW! Now that's some scary stuff

Man, I can't believe that response was given, especially by the vendor. He must be mixed up with a rack and pinion configuration that pushes and pulls through a stationary unit. Now it's going to be difficult to state your case with these guys if that haven't a clue of how that part is supposed to function. What is your plan now? Pay to have the defective part returned and get your money back? I don't think I would pursue much else from that outfit. Did you check out PST yet?

Old 08-25-2009, 02:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would search out a USA made vintage centerlink for your car. There is a reason those sell for big money nowadays, they are safe & they fit, no worries!!!!!

Although the explanation given in type by your seller is difficult to read (and understand) & does contain some errors of fact, I don't think he has seen the part you have there (just my guess).

I don't really see the problem as when you bolt the tapered stud you show as tilted; it automatically gets held parallel and can't tilt over like that. As long as it's held in it's socket & can't move upwards or downwards which would really be a problem!!!!

go with vintage NOS & you should be fine.

Old 08-25-2009, 07:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I got lucky and found a nos gm unit . My original is not designed the way the aftermarket one is . I do not know why they would design it like that , unless it is a defect . Overseas quality control might have missed it and installed a tie rod end . Not a part you want to take a chance with . I am sending it back , had to fight with them to accept it as they say it is fine minus the shipping 2 ways . I am getting very disappointed with this copycat parts , i now see why some people only want nos parts and the price is not the issue , it is the quality . Thank you .

Old 08-27-2009, 07:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Gm nos centerlink arrived today exact as original , no joystick rotation on the stud as the repo. part is . Worth the 200 i paid . thank you