THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 10-12-2017, 10:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Anybody here have a drone?

I am sort of kind of kicking around the idea of thinking about getting one but I don't know much about them. I would use it for photography. Does anyone here have one? If so how do you like it? And, do you use it? What are the restrictions on the use of one?

Old 10-13-2017, 08:14 AM

https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/

Old 10-13-2017, 01:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

One of my neighbors bought a cheapie one, and it's damn near worthless. Like a lot of things, I think you'll need to spend some bucks for a good one.

Old 10-13-2017, 01:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My neighbor started with a cheap one then progressed to the one he has now. If i hadnt bought a bike this summer i would get one. His drone is amazing. full color videos and he has a computer at the house that is somehow hooked up to it. I really want one but two expensive hobby's are enough for me.

Old 10-13-2017, 03:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My neighbor HAD a drone,
I warned him about flying it over my property.

Old 10-13-2017, 08:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wrked on drones. Paid to build a drone from fiberglas scratch, and the GCS. Don't own anything of the stuff at home. Rather play with the dogs and chickens.

Old 10-13-2017, 08:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My friend has a real good one, Fly's it over the beach by just the camera, he lives about 1/4 mile away. It is cool, but if you loose it there goes a couple of thousand!

Old 10-13-2017, 11:11 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I bought a DJI Phantom 4 pro. I need to play around with the camera settings a little more as you can tell in my video. This thing is very easy to fly and if you start to lose control just let go of the sticks and it drops in to a perfect hover. The biggest limits are a 400 foot high max. and line of sight distance.
https://youtu.be/GwAMEokswUA

Old 10-14-2017, 04:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcfbd View Post
I bought a DJI Phantom 4 pro. I need to play around with the camera settings a little more as you can tell in my video. This thing is very easy to fly and if you start to lose control just let go of the sticks and it drops in to a perfect hover. The biggest limits are a 400 foot high max. and line of sight distance.
https://youtu.be/GwAMEokswUA
Nice flight...I enjoyed watching. Over the woods is an understatement.

T-400/PTC 4000/390's/30x9 Hoosier radial slicks,#3400
1.38 60' 6.32 @ 108 MPH at Northeast Dragway NC 5/23/15 (9th pass on new engine)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ePCu2v...ature=youtu.be

1.37 60' 6.26 @ 109 half track, 9.86 @ 136 1/4 mile, #3350 11/26/16 at Richmond Dragway (125th pass on new engine)
Old 10-14-2017, 06:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

cool video!!

Old 10-14-2017, 11:55 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks guys.

Old 10-15-2017, 10:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Not drones, but I got into RC planes at the end of August. I am on my second plane and second radio. The first ones were a complete loss...

I like where the tech has gone to enable cheap camera use. You can get a cheap fpv camera and receiver that will mate to an android phone for pov flight. I thank the drone crowd for that. I will consider buying or building a drone in the future after I get my warbird fix. P-47 Thunderbolt with 4' wingspan will be coming home with me on Monday ("happy birthday to me,...").

Old 10-20-2017, 04:16 AM

I'm kind of thinking of getting into drones as a hobby as well. I don't have an idea what would I do with one yet though, except fly it for fun I guess.

Old 11-01-2017, 05:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I might have to go drone. I keep crashing my plane. The parts explosion today wasn't as severe as the first one, but was still frustrating.

I am thankful I am better at drag racing than I am flying, or else I would be dead.

Flying/crashing one of these right now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-T3GcmEshHk&t=12s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cNy6Y_Ti3s

I'm almost out of glue from repairing this thing.

Old 11-01-2017, 07:54 AM

Your RC plane is a drone. I assume you mean that you're going to a gyro-stabilized quad copter. They're all/both considered drones (or UAVs) to the FAA, and are subject to the same laws/regulations.

Old 11-01-2017, 08:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Cool plane ... I could crash one of those no problem.

Old 11-03-2017, 09:34 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default anybody here have a drone

Hate to be Mr. Buzzkill, but I think these things are a complete nuisance. I'm always annoyed when I discover one flying over some show I'm attending. Too many horror stories of these things going out of control and ricocheting off some poor soul's car. Lots of pilot error it seems.

Old 11-03-2017, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry M. Hunt View Post
Hate to be Mr. Buzzkill, but I think these things are a complete nuisance. I'm always annoyed when I discover one flying over some show I'm attending. Too many horror stories of these things going out of control and ricocheting off some poor soul's car. Lots of pilot error it seems.
I agree completely! In fact, I'm resigning my 31 year membership in the Aircraft Owners and Pilot Association (AOPA) because there admitting drone "pilots" into the organization. Sadly, nothing's gonna change until a few of us real pilots get knocked out of the sky, and opossibly die, because of these bairly regulated toys.

Old 11-06-2017, 05:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think the altitude limit for rc craft is 400 feet, so legally they shouldn't be playing in the space for normal FAA regulated craft. That means away from airports, etc. If you are flying your manned craft <400 feet, then wouldn't birds, etc. be an assumed risk?

There is basic common sense, and when basic common sense fails, there are laws. The tech is pretty new, so it only takes a few idiots with drones, etc. to get prosecuted or sued before the rest of the hobby learns to keep it straight.

Bicycles share our streets successfully with our muscle cars, but are not entitled to the full rights of the road. So too shall our skies be shared.

I'm excited to get into some FPV use eventually. I've been watching video, and the FPV is exactly the experience I want from my plane hobby. The tech has really evolved for FPV video, too, both in quality and price.

Old 11-06-2017, 08:05 PM

I am an ag pilot. I spend most of my flight time at less than 400'. I have had 2 near misses in the last 2 seasons. As far as I am concerned they are a hazard.
Birds are an assumed risk. Drones are not. Drone operators are supposed to keep their drone in visual sight, and land if a manned aircraft is nearby. however, most are not licensed, and have no regard for the rules as there is really nothing that can be done about it if you can't find them.

Last edited by cduster; 11-06-2017 at 08:23 PM. Reason: Added thought.