THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 04-17-2020, 02:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Buying

A thread in the cars for sale area got me thinking, and I didn’t want to booger up that thread.
Is it just me, or does this happen to everyone else? I buy a car, motorcycle, house, ect, and no matter how good or bad of a deal I got at least 5 people I know say something like “I wish I would have known you were looking to buy. I have a friend who has an uncle with one for sale, and it’s WAY cheaper, and better!” Ugh. Yeah thanks, I only told you 10 times I was in the market to buy!
Another point. A few years back I was looking for a used Roadking. I spent a long time looking and knew what I liked and didn’t like. I found one at a nearby dealership that was EXACTLY what I was looking for just taken in on trade. I jumped on it. I knew I was paying about $1000 more than the same bike would have cost if it was a private party deal, but I didn’t care. I wasn’t looking to flip it or make a profit, I wanted to OWN it. Never had a regret about it, but some buddies asked why I paid so much? Of coarse these are the same guys running pieced together junk.
This happen to you guys too?

71' GTO -original 400/4-speed/3.23 posi
13.95 @ 102.1 on street tires @ 4055lbs.

‘63 LeMans- ‘69 400 w/ original transaxle. 2.69 gears.
Old 04-17-2020, 02:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The First Rule of The What You Paid Club is............ (at least on social media )

Old 04-17-2020, 02:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My problem is usually I have something for sale and no one wants it, then it sells and suddenly get people saying they didn't know it was for sale or they would have gave me double the price I wanted!

That's when I think I should act like I sold it, then when someone says that, say well, I still have it for sale.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 04-17-2020, 03:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've bought vehicles for what was probably more than the accepted value, but they were what I wanted and in the end had no regrets.

I made a comment in another thread recently about how when people are looking to buy they think everything is too expensive, but when they're looking to sell they think prices are too low.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stuart For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2020, 03:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Kinda the same thing but different for me. My sister talked my mother into trading her lexus suv in on a chevy suv, just because she had one. My wifes dd was on its last leg and i would have been more than glad to pay her what the dealer gave her for a trade. Im sure she didn't get more than $4-$5g for a 6 yo car with less than 50k miles on it. Neither one of them talked about it until one day mom came over driving a new car! My sister was over yesterday driving her caddy. Its a few years old but like brand new. I didn't even know she still had it. I told her this time, when she is ready to sell let me know first.

Old 04-17-2020, 05:38 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Hopefully not hijacking, but my story is similar. Wanted to have a first gen FB. After looking at it in the dusk (bad move), I bought it for $4k CDN (mid 90's), but I wanted it. I needed to get an appraisal to insure it. It came back at $2k. What a downer! So, I paid way too much. About a year later, I was flipping through the projects for sale in a national cars for sale publication. Dealers and flippers. The lowest priced 'projects' were around $5k CDN. Those were shells. No front sheet metal, no doors, no glass, no interior, sometimes no front subframe. I then stopped feeling so bad about my 'driver'.

66 Chevy II 461 Pontiac in AZ

Last edited by tooski; 04-17-2020 at 05:39 PM. Reason: edit
Old 04-18-2020, 11:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I hate that. If I'm ever in a situation where someone buys something similar to what I'm selling, or know of one for sale, I'll just smile and admire what they've bought.

I also hate when people ask what you paid. Especially when they want to argue what it's value is.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 04-18-2020, 01:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

On the other hand have you ever found a really good deal and hesitated. Only to call back to say you will take it and persons says someone else just drove away with it.

Old 04-18-2020, 01:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A car or truck is worth what YOU are willing to pay, period. As I get older, I am much more set on what I am looking for specifically, and I will pay more to get exactly what I want. After all, how many more cars are you going to own as you move into your 60's and older. Things like the exact color combination are very important to me, where others would accept any color if the car's condition was good. Mechanical condition is very low on my list for a collector car, since I can do all that myself. It's a very personal matter. The only time established book values have any real meaning is if you are in the hobby to make money. Many people are.

The Following User Says Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2020, 04:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you want a good deal, keep your eyes open in the next year. Many will panic and sell their car or project for cheap due to the state of the world economy right now. Or they may simply feel the financial strain and sell for that reason.

Old 04-19-2020, 02:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Agreed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbygto65 View Post
On the other hand have you ever found a really good deal and hesitated. Only to call back to say you will take it and persons says someone else just drove away with it.
I learned from a very deal savvy friend of mine to deal on the spot and always speak cash. Especially at swap meets.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 04-20-2020, 07:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The good deals are already happening. There is blood in the water.... I'm not in the market for another car, but if the right convertible came along...

Old 04-20-2020, 07:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

For the last 50 years that I have known my brother in law, he has never jumped into buying anything. If and when he decides to get a new car or truck, he first does the research for the best one for a few months then will take a year to find just the right one at the right price.

Old 04-22-2020, 12:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Just today, had a guy @ the gas station tell me "Nice toy" about my 71 GTO. I didn't bother to tell him it was my driver. He then asks, "What's it worth?" I said, to who? To me, it's invaluable. To others, I have no idea and don't care. He then goes on to ask, "What did you pay for it?" Really dude? Who are you from Adam, and why do you think I would tell you? Are you in the market for a 71 GTO? Didn't think so...

Like most of us, I've made some good deals, and overpaid at times in my life. But I can say I typically have only overpaid when it's something I really want. Of course the passage of time heals all overpaid scenarios. Somehow, the $3800 I over-paid for my 67 GTO in 1992 doesn't matter much today. I imagine it's worth a bit more than that now should I ever decide to sell it.

'74 Bonneville 4dr Sedan (455/TH400/2.93 open)
'72 LeMans GT (455/M-13/3.23 [8.5"] posi)
'71 GTO Hardtop (400/TH400/3.07 12 bolt posi)
‘71 GTO Convertible (455HO/TH400/3.23 posi)
'67 GTO Coupe (455/ST-10/2.93 posi)
'67 Tempest Wagon (428/TH400/2.56 posi)

Deuteronomy 8:3
Old 04-22-2020, 01:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

When I was younger, “friends” would always ask how much something cost, (my car stereo, cars, sofa, etc.) and then say “I could have got it for less.”

I think they’re a close cousin of the “my wife works for the family that owns the Lakers - call me whenever you need free tickets” guy - who suddenly can’t come up with those tickets if you ask.

I just realized that it’s been well over a decade since I’ve heard any of that. Probably because I stopped hanging out with assholes, and I started working for myself and don’t have insufferable co-workers anymore.

Old 04-22-2020, 07:48 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I used to work with this dumbace. Whatever you were selling, he would try and beat you up on the price, because "he could always find it cheaper". But he never did.
You could say "Tom, did you ever get that car battery you were looking for? Still got mine for sale". His answer would be "I decided I didn't need it" or similar.

Old 04-22-2020, 08:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I get the 'how much is it worth' a lot at car shows and such. My reply is 'whatever someone is willing to pay'. Usually from kids or young fellows though, if someone a bit older/closer to my age asks, I will reply 'make me an offer'. Still waiting for someone to hit that magic number , I was at one show and there was a guy with a really nice 70 'vert lemans. He came up to me and said he would trade me even up. I just laughed it off as with other comments. He came back to me a couple of times and asked again and said he was 100% serious. First time something like that has happened.

Old 04-22-2020, 08:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Developed my "art of the haggle" Trading Beer Cans, and perfected it Buying Junkyard parts.

Old 04-22-2020, 09:28 AM
Senior Chief

If I'm selling, its worthless. If I'm buying, "its rare and I wont take less than X".

I rarely flip a car and not make decent money, but I deal on the low end of the scale.

Any more, its doing what I need to do. I just traded an old tri-axle trailer for gravel. Redneck enough for ya?

<rant over>

64 F-85
72 4-4-2 Mondello's VO Twister II
84 Hurst/Olds #2449
87 Cutlass Salon
54 Olds 88 sedan
Old 04-22-2020, 09:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Lightbulb Wanna Trade ?

I will trade your Gravel ....

For Oil Futures .....

( Such A Deal )