THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 08-27-2017, 10:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default General question about buying a daily driver

I'm in the market for a vehicle that can serve dual purpose as a daily driver and occasional tow vehicle capable of towing around 4 - 5K lbs. I've got a 2500 Suburban with a 454 for the heavier towing duties, but it gets horrible gas mileage. I've got a 2002 Saturn Vue 4-cylinder 5-spd manual that can tow up to 1500 lbs. I need something in the middle of that range that gets decent gas mileage and is something my wife won't mind driving.

About five years ago, I bought my youngest son a 99 Tahoe 2-dr Z71. For the last three years, he's been living on college campus and I've had use of it pretty much whenever I wanted. This year, he's living off-campus and took the Tahoe. The Tahoe was good for towing up to 6000 lbs and got 15 - 17 mpg, which worked out well. I've looked around for similar Tahoes, but have found none with mileage in the 100K range or less.

I started thinking about what is available that would serve the same function as the Tahoe, but maybe get a little better gas mileage. I've been thinking along the lines of a 2010 or so Canyon/Colorado. I've never owned a foreign car, but lately I've been thinking along the lines of a Toyota Tacoma or FJ Cruiser. I prefer to stay with American cars, I don't want a Ford or Dodge, so it looks like those are probably the best alternatives.

Before I buy my next vehicle, I need to make sure I can drive it for at least three hours without the seat becoming miserably uncomfortable. I've got a bad hip and I need a seat I sit on rather than down into, and one that has some padding. I also want to see how it handles with around 5K behind it on a trailer. The dealer I talked with was far more interested in making a sale that day than helping me find a vehicle that meets my needs. I told him I wanted to hook up a trailer to it and see how it towed, and they shut that down due to insurance reasons.

Since there are a lot of you roughly my age with similar joint issues, I thought I'd ask what you drive and if you had any thoughts on alteratives to the ones I've mentioned. And are my requests to drive the car for around 150 miles to make sure it's comfortable for a long drive reasonable? What about a test tow. I live less than two miles from the dealership, so it's not likely I'm going very far.

About eight years ago, I bought a 2002 WS6 T/A convertible in northern VA. The last hour of the four hour trip home was miserable, I don't want to repeat that mistake again.

Mike

Old 08-27-2017, 11:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

IF you could find anything with decent mileage in your area, a 2001 and newer GM half ton truck will fit your needs. With the 5.3 engine and factory tow package, they will have all the power you need and handle & brake fine with a load of 5k. The newer half ton's will tow even a lot more. As a matter of fact I just drove my 2016 GMC half ton on a 10 hour drive pulling a 24' enclosed trailer with a 65 GTO in it.

Driving decently, they will get good gas mileage. The newer models and the bucket seat models w/ leather upholstery seem to feel better on your back.

If you can find one that feels good to you, I wouldn't worry about how it will tow; it will do that just fine. I just don't think you're going to be able to do that with a smaller vehicle.

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 08-27-2017, 11:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The newer V6 F-150 is supposed to have good power and good mileage.

The 10-speed trans should help with towing and mileage.

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/...50/performance

Old 08-28-2017, 08:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Give your son the Vue, take back the Tahoe.

Whatever you spend on a new vehicle, insurance & registration is going to be far more than the extra you spend on gas.

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 08-28-2017, 08:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

1995 Lincoln Towncar. (95-97)

rated 5000 lb towing, and decent tongue weight rating. 14.5 mpg towing an airstream.

Strong OD auto, 8.8 rear, 4-wheel disc, good sway bars. BIG trunk.

$2000 - $5000 these days for nice. Original $40k car in 95.

...Analog stereo is way better than the digital stereo.

...and doesn't look like a truck.

Old 08-28-2017, 09:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry H. View Post
IF you could find anything with decent mileage in your area, a 2001 and newer GM half ton truck will fit your needs. With the 5.3 engine and factory tow package, they will have all the power you need and handle & brake fine with a load of 5k. The newer half ton's will tow even a lot more. As a matter of fact I just drove my 2016 GMC half ton on a 10 hour drive pulling a 24' enclosed trailer with a 65 GTO in it.

Driving decently, they will get good gas mileage. The newer models and the bucket seat models w/ leather upholstery seem to feel better on your back.

If you can find one that feels good to you, I wouldn't worry about how it will tow; it will do that just fine. I just don't think you're going to be able to do that with a smaller vehicle.
X10000

I towed with my '13 1500 5.3 for several thousand miles. I used a heavy open trailer, with a Can Am on it, then my Trans Am. The truck towed well, and still managed to get 11.5 MPG on the trip. Set up correctly, a 1500 is rated to tow up to 11,000, but not with a 5.3. A 6.2, max tow, with the proper gears will easily do that.

The GM seats are comfortable. I like their trucks so much, I just bought a brand new one.

1977 Trans Am, 400/M21 Black/Gold Bandit. 44K actual miles

2017 Sierra SLT 1500 Z71 4X4

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 08-28-2017, 10:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Love my 2010 Jeep Commander with the hemi. Tows like a dream and has gets 14-16 mpg.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 08-28-2017, 03:56 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I didn't know you could get a hemi in the Commander- I bet that's a nice ride

Old 08-28-2017, 11:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Around here at least 1999-2004 Tahoes,suburban,and yukons have NO resale value. I bought a 2003 Yukon XL SLT with every option except the moon roof from an individual for 3 grand cash. I look all the time at tahoes and Yukons in the 3000 to 4500 buck range. Some are even Denalis.

Old 08-29-2017, 09:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Leather seats with heat have really helped me with hip pain while driving. I'd suggest trying a Denali.

Sent from my Z936L using Tapatalk