Ames Customer Satisfaction Forum Post a 'current' compliment, suggestion or issue with regard to an Ames service or product.

Closed Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 01:08 PM

Default Performance years carpets, bad news???

Hey guys,
I don't want to sound like one of those "whining, because they have nothing better to do" guys, and I'm not starting this thread to "stir-the-pot", I'm looking for advice/info from guys that have put new carpet in their birds before.
I ordered my "new" interior carpet "kit" from PY for my 77 bird and it showed up a little while ago and I was as excited as a kid at Christmas! lol
But I'm REALLY concerned at this point,
First,
this carpet set box has been opened before and re-stapled shut, it also has previous shipping labels ripped off the box.
So,
clearly, this has been sold to someone else before
AND they returned it.
That makes me VERY leery, "what's wrong with it?" Etc,
AND there's lint and particles ALL over the carpet, a LOT (its black),
plus, and because it was "stuffed" back in the box this "molded" carpet has REALLY weak "molding" now.
After all, no one likes sloppy seconds or leftovers lol.
BUT if the carpets "okay" I COULD live with it (if I had to...)
AND of course, vacuum my "new" carpet...ha
Also,
the description on this carpet said "with jute padding" but from the front seats back there's NO, ZERO, jute padding, is that normal???? (I thought in the rear foot wells and back seat "hump" that there'd be jute????)
BUT my biggest issue is;
When it was put BACK in the box,
It was literally jammed and half-arsed forced and folded back in the box,
So,
Now there's these huge, deep, sharp, pressed, wrinkles in the carpet right at the passenger front floor pan (where the floor pan goes up, before it gets behind the dash/ducting)
So, it'll be clearly visible EVEN with a floor mat.
My question is;
Will these pressed wrinkles actually come out? (They're deep and sharp enough that if I laid the carpet out for 2 weeks It doesn't look like they'll come out...)
Or,
am I screwed and I'm going to HAVE to "take-it" or ship it back? (Aka hassle and wait more)
Any tips or tricks????

Off topic,
but is this normal from performance years products???
Should I get my carpet (and future parts) thru someone else?????
Thanks in advance guys!

Old 04-24-2014, 03:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Have you contacted PY directly yet to discuss the issue?

This one sounds worse than normal, but carpeting is always going to be folded up and wrinkled to some extent when it comes out of the box. It needs to lay out flat for a while (preferably in the sun or in a warm place) for the folds and wrinkles to relax. You may even have to carefully use a heat gun to get it to lie down nice and flat.

Old 04-24-2014, 04:14 PM
Pypes Staff - Tech

ZombiePopper has contacted me @ PY this morning. I mentioned to him that I have seen this issue before with ACC carpets. ACC has told me that the carpet has to be rolled up very tightly to fit in the box. PY spot checks the carpet, so if it looks like it was opened and restapled, it was one of the ones that was inspected. The full carpet does not get every square inch covered in jute; it is attached in strategic locations, just like the factory did. The sharp wrinkles are normal when the carpet gets folded. ACC has told me in the past that the carpet must be laid out in the sun for a while to "relax" itself. If there are "deep grooves" in the carpet, it's from the folding of the carpet. ACC said to take a stiff brush and gently "comb" it out. That should come out. If there still is a problem, please contact us and we will find out the next step would be. GP Mike

Old 04-24-2014, 04:17 PM

Thanks for your comments Stuart, and I agree.

I contacted PY tech help after posting this thread...in hind sight I should have done it the other way round lol (you know what they say about hind sight...)

I forgot who I talked to, EDIT* it was Mike, thanks for your response Mike, sorry I forgot your name, I was being self-centered thinking about my cars interior lol can ya forgive me for the name SNAFU?

Mike was helpful and listened to my concerns, he didn't agree with me that this carpet was sold to someone else prior to me, although he agreed its a possibility, and I can agree that it may have been inspected and not sold before.
But I can understand his doubt, and don't blame him, not having the carpet in front of him or seeing what I am, I feel for these tech line guys, I bet they get all the abuse!

I do, naturally, expect folds, its a large carpet in a small-ish box (relatively speaking).
I've laid the carpet out and it's been unfolded for several hours now and most the gentle wrinkles are gone as you'd expect.
except for those hard creases/pressed folds, Mike said to brush them, so I'll give that AND a blow dryer a try, and see if they'll come out...

I'm concerned about the weak molding as well, hopefully, it'll fit without having to put books etc (weight) in the foot wells...

This is my first order thru PY and I'm REALLY glad they're so easy to get in touch with, without having to jump thru hoops (voicemail, emails, automated phone lines etc etc).

Last edited by ZombiePopper; 04-24-2014 at 04:25 PM.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you can......lay the carpet in your car like you were going to install it.
I say this because I HATE ACC Carpets.
I bought my ACC carpet about a yearish ago and just installed it with out really checking fit. [1969 GTO]
Well after all said and done my carpet was cut short by ACC.
The carpet does not go up far enough up the fire wall under the dash. And you can't mess this up because of the foot pad on the drivers side and hole for the Hi Beam switch.
The only thing I could do was paint the fire wall black to match the carpet.
I didn't bother yelling at the dealer beacuse I figured I had already cut for the seats and seat belts and I would end up eating it any way.
Good luck on your ACC Crapert.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:08 PM

Great tip thanks!

I'll be setting it in tomm so hopefully I'll know for sure by then....

But you mentioned something that I forgot to include; (I also forgot to mention it to Mike)
In the description of this carpet it said "dimmer switch and grommet" and my carpet doesn't have a dimmer switch hole or grommet, nothing-
And it's the main reason why I believe it was sold to someone else and they returned it and then it was sold/shipped to me (and of course all the lint and hair on it)
I'd have thought if it was inspected they would've caught this issue.
But now I have to cut the dimmer switch hole and figure out a way to attach a grommet....
But really,
Once I lay the carpet in, if there's any other issues I think I'll have no other recourse but to return it...

Old 04-24-2014, 09:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

your carpet had HAIR????? YUCK

Old 04-24-2014, 09:40 PM

Yeah I can't tell if its hairs or long fibers from something....

Old 04-25-2014, 11:56 PM

Well, you called it...
My carpet is to short, it doesn't go to the toe guard (carpet hold down on the drivers side) if I shift it forward, slightly under the toe guard and to cover the lower firewall then the carpet hangs below the rear seat cushions...I tried to split the difference but it still looks like crap,
I guess I'm going to have to paint the firewall black...sigh...
I brushed the carpet creases AND used a blow dryer and the wrinkles got better...but they're still clearly visible there...
Also,
PY, you guys need to fix your catalog as well, when I ordered my carpet, no where did it say "non-console", in your catalog, but the box is marked "non-console", so I think that screwed me also (side-side under the sill plates) its a tight fit and raises the carpet off the floor pans a good amount.
Plus,
just as I feared,
the molding was so weak, it might as well have been non-molded carpet at this rate...
Couple those things with the debris on the carpet PLUS no dimmer switch hole OR grommet, and I'm a very unhappy camper...
I spent all day gutting my interior, and the end result is shabby to say the least...unacceptable for "new" carpet.
I started to box it back up to return it on Monday, but nature decided to play a nasty trick on me. Forecast is calling for t-storms early A.M. and since my interior was gutted and setting outside I couldn't leave it apart and wait (with my car open and all apart outside) so I reluctantly put it in...
But i def recommend avoiding ACC carpet like the plague, I don't blame y'all at PY, (except, I'm positive at this point it's a return and then resold to yours truly).
I appreciate everyone's input/advice, and thanks PY (Mike) for listening to me whine and complain lol.

Old 04-26-2014, 12:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

hopefullty Mrgto69 [mike] reads and looks into this, we 2 can't be the only ones that had this ACC carpet problem.
It's a bi-ach to spend the bucks,get excited,do the work and the part is crap,just like the 2 lower chrome pieces on the front valance on the 69GTO with grills,junk,don't fit.

Old 04-26-2014, 12:55 AM

Agreed,
Especially considering that we're talking about two different cars

Old 08-24-2014, 10:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I also had issues with the ACC carpets. I ordered a set for a '71 4 speed and what was in the box was actually a set for a Chevelle which has a much larger shifter porch so the fit was too sloppy. The box was factpry sealed & marked '71 GTO. I did 2 returns and each time a Chevelle set showed up in a box marked GTO. PY finally pulled the rugs out of the box to check before shipping and found many and been marked wrong or substituted by ACC. They credited all the return shipping and told me to keep the last Chevelle set (which I sold on eBay) also rather than return it again.

To PY's credit, they bent over backwards to help splve the problem of the wrong carpets. Victory was bittersweet however, the rugs were short just as you described (in compriosn to the originals) and I had to spray Flat black paint on the exposed area in the foot wells where the carpet ended.

Last edited by NeighborsComplaint; 08-24-2014 at 11:03 AM.
Old 08-24-2014, 11:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default ACC Carpet no fit

notice the pass side short fit junk

Click image for larger version

Name:	GTODASH2.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	374173

Old 08-24-2014, 11:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Just wanted to add that not every carpet set is bad. I bought an ACC carpet recently (from PY) for my 4 speed w/console Lemans and it was generously cut. No problems at all. Even the precut dimmer hole was spot on.

Old 08-24-2014, 11:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

you must of gotton the xtra from my short cut carpet "LOL"

Old 08-24-2014, 03:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I bought ACC carpet years ago for one of my 70 birds. It had the problem of being cut too short at the toe. You'd think they would have remedied that issue by now.

Old 08-24-2014, 04:37 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I bought ACC carpet from ACC at a swap meet years ago. It was for my 65 LeMans. It fit well, the color (blue) held up well, I was a satisfied customer.

Old 08-24-2014, 09:19 PM

Heck,
My carpet didn't even have a dimmer hole OR grommet!!!

plus to short (as mentioned) also sloppy fit, and creased.

At this point I'm certain it was a return and then shipped to me.
I'll be avoiding acc carpet sets from now on.

Old 08-24-2014, 11:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I seen a thread like this on another site. Someone mentioned that acc carpet could be ordered without being cut. Something about how they cut the edges along the mold.

Old 08-25-2014, 08:48 AM
Pypes Staff - Tech

To Zombiepopper: The reason why ACC does not cut the hole in the carpet for the hi beam switch is because this allows you to get the carpeting in the proper position. Cutting the hole is not a big deal.
To rohrt: when placing an order just request to the sales associate that you do not want ACC to cut the extra carpet. It's not a problem.

Last edited by Ccass; 08-25-2014 at 10:46 AM.
Closed Thread