Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 06-25-2024, 04:43 PM
Senior Chief

Default Ansen bell housing cover- is it real?

So I've got a couple Ansen bellhousings I picked up 10-15 years ago. But last year I came across an Aluminum inspection cover/lower cover for them. Did Ansen ever make an aluminum one? Would this have been allowed on the track? My other ones are iron like the bellhousing.

I'm wondering if someone might have cast this as a fake to save weight?

Old 06-25-2024, 06:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

They did make alu units,both parts.Tom

The Following User Says Thank You to tom s For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2024, 06:42 PM
Senior Chief

Wondering how an aluminum bellhousing could be "explosion proof"?

Old 06-25-2024, 07:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It is thick as hell!We have one for the 62 421 SD engine going in a 62 post Cat.I for one would not trust it.Tom

The Following User Says Thank You to tom s For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2024, 09:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

MAYBE the aluminum housings combined with aluminum flywheels met specs back in the day?

Old 06-25-2024, 10:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a iron one here I’m trying to sell for a widow.Tom

Old 06-25-2024, 11:48 PM
Senior Chief

Do you have the original 4 bolts that hold the lower cover on? They say Ansen on the head. I got them with one of my bell housings. They were originally yellow cad/zinc plated. I had mine replated. I'm planning to use on one of my Silver 64 GTO post coupe. The tri power engine was run in on Butler's test stand about 10 years ago (I'm sure some can relate to how long it can take to finish a project. Car is at the final assembly stage. I was restoring it all original. It's got the 8.2 rear with eaton posi, Drums all around. I have decided to switch out the drums for discs and power brakes, not sure if I should swap out the rear end. It would make brakes easier. Even though I restored the original wheels and caps, thinking about putting much better tires and some good aluminum wheels for a more classic street look. I also have a brand new 5 speed I think it's a Legend. I've debated about using that or going with a muncie. The Legend would give me an OD gear. I may also go with a bigger sway bar up front. I'll have to start getting back on this forum and flesh out what people have good experience with. I just want it to be a fun car to drive in the summer. I just moved my cars to my new shop I built.

Old 06-25-2024, 11:49 PM
Senior Chief

Do you have the original 4 bolts that hold the lower cover on? They say Ansen on the head. I got them with one of my bell housings. They were originally yellow cad/zinc plated. I had mine replated. I'm planning to use on one of my Silver 64 GTO post coupe. The tri power engine was run in on Butler's test stand about 10 years ago (I'm sure some can relate to how long it can take to finish a project. Car is at the final assembly stage. I was restoring it all original. It's got the 8.2 rear with eaton posi, Drums all around. I have decided to switch out the drums for discs and power brakes, not sure if I should swap out the rear end. It would make brakes easier. Even though I restored the original wheels and caps, thinking about putting much better tires and some good aluminum wheels for a more classic street look. I also have a brand new 5 speed I think it's a Legend. I've debated about using that or going with a muncie. The Legend would give me an OD gear. I may also go with a bigger sway bar up front. I'll have to start getting back on this forum and flesh out what people have good experience with. I just want it to be a fun car to drive in the summer. I just moved my cars to my new shop I built.

Old 06-26-2024, 02:25 AM
Senior Chief

Old 06-29-2024, 10:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Don't think it's worth while to put disc brakes in the rear. Disc up front and drums out back stop just as good and any 4 wheel disc setup. The brakes on the rear last for quite a while especially if you have discs up front. In my opinion disc on the front are mandatory for safety but no advantage to put them on the rear.