Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 01-07-2013, 10:57 PM
Suspended

Default Firefox responds SLOWLY, but not IE.

Is there a common cause? I loved Firefox, but now it stutters on every web page and slowly responds to my scrolling and clicking.

IE has none of these problems. What's up?

Old 01-08-2013, 12:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I am on Firefox right now and am having no problems. Me thinks there may be gremlins on the loose in your computer.
Try deleting/uninstalling Fire fox then reinstall it.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:08 PM
Suspended

Still no good. It's annoying as all get out. I uninstalled and downloaded an earlier version and it's identical in performance. Annoyingly slow to respond to mouse commands.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Try going up to the Tools tab, click on Clear Recent History, and when prompted, check off Cache, then hit Clear Now.

That should help. If it takes more than 5 seconds, you probably solved your problem.

If that doesn't help, enter the url

about:support

and press enter. That's Firefox's troubleshooter. There's an option to reset Firefox. This will reset Firefox back to the beginning, no add-on's, nothing. It will keep your bookmarks (it did with me), but you'll lose some preferences, like screen settings on sites (zoom in/zoom out), so you may have to reset a few things. I had to do this when I somehow got a virus that caused redirects every time I used Google or Yahoo. I would click on a website, and get redirected. This fixed that problem.

My Bio: I am currently writing articles for POCI's Smoke Signals magazine and enjoy promoting and discussing the history of the Pontiac Motor Division.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A few things could be going on.

Under Add-ons do you have Fastest Fox. If not search and add that app. There are others that I use such as Ghostery / DNT+ (Abine) / AddBlockPlus

Are your Flash plugins updated? Java?

What system do you have ? 32 or 64 bit?

69 OHC ZH Sprint Hurst 3 Speed 3:55 (1 of 213)
99 Valkyrie 1520cc Flat 6 108hp/110tq - For Sale
http://sohcsix.yuku.com/forums/1/OHC-lounge
Wanted: 1969 OHC "H" Camshaft
Old 01-11-2013, 09:39 AM
Suspended

Thanks, all. It's a 32 bit system.

I tried clearing the history by selecting everything and all were selected. No change.
I downloaded Speedyfox. No change. I removed it.
I've disabled all extensions. No change.

I'll look for fastestfox, but I don't expect it to change. I'm not sure how to update add-ons for latest updates, but if they're disabled it shouldn't matter should it?

Old 01-11-2013, 10:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I got tired of fighting with Firefox. I've moved to Google Chrome....seems to work faster than any other browser I've tried. I've got IE8, Safari, Firefox and Chrome.....

1960 Laurentian 283
1963 Laurentian 283
1976 Trans Am 400
1977 Trans Am 400
1951 Chieftain Flat head 6
1967 Firebird 400 convertible
1967 Firebird 400 coupe
1979 Trans Am 403
1971 Formula 455 (clone)
1969 Firebird 350
1968 Firebird 428 manual.
Sydney, Australia
Old 01-11-2013, 10:46 AM
Suspended

I think Google is government partnered. Firefox is more secure.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:30 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMD1969 View Post
A few things could be going on.

Under Add-ons do you have Fastest Fox. If not search and add that app. There are others that I use such as Ghostery / DNT+ (Abine) / AddBlockPlus

Are your Flash plugins updated? Java?

What system do you have ? 32 or 64 bit?
JAVA and Adobe updated. No change.

FASTEST FOX was downloaded. No change.

Now what. All functions on Firefox are SLOW still.

Is there another program that is said to be more secure (like Firefox) I can use. I'm spinning wheels here.

Old 01-11-2013, 12:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sounds like a possible memory issue or other program running in the background. You might want to check your task manager and look for the applications consuming the most memory. If you can shut them down, you may see an improvement in performance. There may something else going on malware wise also, but I'd look into apps consuming your memory to begin with.

Old 01-11-2013, 12:27 PM
Suspended

Well it could be the ATF wasting their time on me. I'm legal, but active. Or it could be the criminal Israel-First elements who hate our freedoms.

But looking at the applications running there are only 2. Email and Firefox. Under PROCESSES:
Firefox is consuming 132,800 K.
CNSEMAIN.EXE 41,600 K
MsMpEng.exe 51,900 K
SDFSSvc.exe 29,900 K

are the largest consumers.

Old 01-11-2013, 12:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonchoV8 View Post
JAVA and Adobe updated. No change.

FASTEST FOX was downloaded. No change.

Now what. All functions on Firefox are SLOW still.

Is there another program that is said to be more secure (like Firefox) I can use. I'm spinning wheels here.
A few more things can be happening. Your RAM could be taxed and slowing things down. Your Virtual memory could need to be set high to allow for more memory. Or you could just have a slow chipset that is having trouble keeping up.

On the software side you need to use Ghostery and DNT+ to keep all of the internet trackers from clogging up your system.

You could have a trojan/virus?

Using CCleaner will be the best way to clean all of the history and using the registry feature will eliminate any garbage left behind. WINASO is a great program that will clean privacy problems and help repair your registry as well.

Its very hard to tell what is going on when we do not know what PC you have, how old it is, what the RAM is, what software you are using, if you have any trojans/viruses and any other bugs that can be attacking it.

Old 01-11-2013, 01:39 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMD1969 View Post
A few more things can be happening. Your RAM could be taxed and slowing things down. Your Virtual memory could need to be set high to allow for more memory. Or you could just have a slow chipset that is having trouble keeping up.
I'm not familiar with virtual memory. This wasn't a problem until recently. I deleted something a while back that caused the system to crash requiring a reload of XP. But this problem I THINK started about 2 weeks ago or less.

Quote:
On the software side you need to use Ghostery and DNT+ to keep all of the internet trackers from clogging up your system.

You could have a trojan/virus?
Should I download Deleteme too?
I've implemented the Ghostery and DNT+ add-ons, and I may have a virus as you suggest. I have Spybot current.

Quote:
Using CCleaner will be the best way to clean all of the history and using the registry feature will eliminate any garbage left behind. WINASO is a great program that will clean privacy problems and help repair your registry as well.

Its very hard to tell what is going on when we do not know what PC you have, how old it is, what the RAM is, what software you are using, if you have any trojans/viruses and any other bugs that can be attacking it.
Ccleaner is just a mystery to me. When it reports all the possible issues I can't tell what are needed cookies to keep my passwords active and what isn't. There is nothing in the report lists I can discern. I am seeing a little faster performance with fastestfox, but not like it used to be. I have 4 gig of Crucial I installed early this year. It's an Acer with Pen (4), 3.40GHz showing 3.36 GB of RAM. Running XP Pro service pack 3.

It's still slow. Going for CCleaner again.

Last edited by PonchoV8; 01-11-2013 at 02:00 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonchoV8 View Post
I'm not familiar with virtual memory. This wasn't a problem until recently. I deleted something a while back that caused the system to crash requiring a reload of XP. But this problem I THINK started about 2 weeks ago or less.

It's impossible to say what it can be. Although XP was an excellent OS it is close to not being supported by Microsoft. Also, as I have had to do it, reinstalling the OS does not include ALL of the updates from eon's ago. It is a long and tedious process to get the OS back to its running status.

Virtual memory http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...virtual-memory

Should I download Deleteme too?

No.

I've implemented the Ghostery and DNT+ add-ons, and I may have a virus as you suggest. I have Spybot current.

The best way to reconcile any problems is to restart the computer and go into Safe Mode. Run CCleaner, Your Virus software and then Spybot. Clean anything that they find and restart Windows normally.

Ccleaner is just a mystery to me. When it reports all the possible issues I can't tell what are needed cookies to keep my passwords active and what isn't. There is nothing in the report lists I can discern. I am seeing a little faster performance with fastestfox, but not like it used to be. I have 4 gig of Crucial I installed early this year. It's an Acer with Pen (4), 3.40GHz showing 3.36 GB of RAM. Running XP Pro service pack 3.

It's still slow. Going for CCleaner again.
I use CCLEaner as a full sweep and do not care about having to retype in logins. It is a small price to pay to get all of the random garabge out of the PC. I'll use it every three or four days or so.

Old 01-11-2013, 02:22 PM
Suspended

Okay. CCleaner; under files to be deleted it says:

IE Temp internet files 24,083 KB
IE- History 32 KB
IE-cookies 6 KB
Windows Explorer-recent documents 44 KB
system-empty recycle bin 67,692 KB
system-temp files 96 KB
system-windows log files 20,356 KB
Firefox-internet cache 21,613 KB
Firefox-cookies 0 KB
Firefox--download history 64 KB
Firefox-session 28 KB
Applications-adobe acrobat 9.0 9 KB
Applications-Mcafee antivirus 3 KB
multimedia-adobe flash 1 KB
multimedie-winamp 2 KB
Windows-MS antimalware 1359 KB
Windows-MS security client 4,607 KB

Is it going to delete Winamp as an application along with those other apps? The KB isn't exorbitant in size is it? What do you recommend or all these things to be deleted?

Old 01-11-2013, 03:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Those aren't the largest files BUT it doesn't mean that they aren't slowing your comouter down. Ever since I started using CCleaner I have always clicked NO for saving any changes and simply clicked yes to clean/delete everything. Never any issues using it for many years on four different OS systems.

One other thing you should do after you clean everything is defrag your system before you start surfing again.

Old 01-12-2013, 02:16 AM
Suspended

It seems to scroll a little faster/more responsively and typing hasn't yet been a problem. Typing wasn't always a problem.
It didn't seem to restore it to where it was once.

Old 01-12-2013, 08:29 AM

You could try running Malwarebytes to check for spyware and malware. http://www.malwarebytes.org. At the very least it will get rid of any trackers on your system.

Old 01-12-2013, 09:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

firefox just updated itself for me this AM and now it doesnt do any search engine functions,only bookmarks
IE and Chrome both seem to work OK

Old 01-12-2013, 11:57 AM
Suspended

With Ghostery and DNT+, I can hover and see a message like: 5 trackers on this page, 0 blocked. What's the advantage of the add-on if it doesn't block them? Or do I have a setting not selected to block them?

I did a full scan using Malwarebytes a couple days ago. No change. Just did a quick update and scan. No change.
I'm currently using IE, which at first was lagging, but is now performing well.