Non Pontiac Motors in Pontiacs includes factory 403,305,350 Chevy, Buick V6,
Also Pontiac Motors in non-Pontiacs!

Old 12-15-2004, 05:10 PM

I have an 85 Firebird TA - Im pretty new to the restoration game. It has a chevy 305 bored out 30 over right now, but I need to replace it (all seals leak, missing bolts, gas in the oil pan - its a rez runner -thats where I bought it) and I was wondering what enginges I could put in, or at least what is the largest size that I could fit in there I was thinking that it would probably be in the very low 400's like 400-405 so if any of you could offer some help it would be most appreciated - thank you

Old 12-15-2004, 05:10 PM

I have an 85 Firebird TA - Im pretty new to the restoration game. It has a chevy 305 bored out 30 over right now, but I need to replace it (all seals leak, missing bolts, gas in the oil pan - its a rez runner -thats where I bought it) and I was wondering what enginges I could put in, or at least what is the largest size that I could fit in there I was thinking that it would probably be in the very low 400's like 400-405 so if any of you could offer some help it would be most appreciated - thank you

Old 12-16-2004, 06:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Well if you are handy with a torch or welder or have a deep pocketbook you should be able to fit most anything in there. Actually if you are wanting to put a Pontiac engine in you can go up to a 455 since the block dimensions are all the same. But it will take some fabrication since the only V8 that was put in your car from factory was a Chebby.

Oh BTW welcome to the boards! Lots of good info here. I see you are from ND too. What part?

www.jandjrepairandrestoration
Old 12-16-2004, 07:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

A well built 400 Chevy small block will "bolt right in". You will have some changes based on balancer and flexplate (400s are externally balanced, early 305s and 350s are internally balanced). There are some very specific modifications required to make the 400SB live under high performance conditions. Make sure yu enlist the help of a competent engine builder when building such a beast.

On the other hand, as Jeff has pointed out, putting a real Pontiac in there is possible. In fact, Indian Adventures sells the necessary mounts and headers for the swap. The A/C and power steering brackets could become an adventure in their own rite...The Pontiac V8 is not as versatile or as light as the SBC, but makes a BUNCH more low-speed power, and is more efficient where fuel consumption is concerned (when tuned accordingly).

Old 12-17-2004, 04:01 AM

Thanks guys, well Jeff, Im from Fargo, I still dont know what I wanna do, cause I could just go out and buy some beater that will get me by for a while while I save some money for a better engine, cuase I would love to throw a 455 in that, give them darn rice burners a taste of American power
So what part are you from Jeff? If thats your car in the pic, it looks sweet, looks like your sponsored too - i'd love to get into racing, cause you can only do so much illegal racing before you get caught :P

Old 12-17-2004, 06:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I live about an hour NW of Bismarck, near Hazen. Yeah the avatar is a pic of my car. thanks for the compliment. I used to make it to Sabin often to race there.

www.jandjrepairandrestoration
Old 12-17-2004, 07:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Indian Adventures sells the needed parts to put traditional Pontiac power in a 3rd gen T/A. Motor mounts, and headers are your main issues. You will need a larger radiator, stronger tranny and a better rear end to take the torque.

www.chiefmanyhorses.com

Old 12-17-2004, 03:26 PM

Sweet, thanks guys.
So hey, do we have a pontiac owners car group/club in ND, cuase if we did i'd like to join....soon as I got my "Pheonix" goin

Old 12-24-2004, 09:28 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

U need to start reading some of the hot rod publication like popular hotrodding go with a stroker small block or one of the after market crate engines from the factory or after market and u will be as happy as a pig in a mud puddle with the performance. Some one said in one of the other replys to some one that crate engines are only factory but that is not right any more as a lot of other co's build there own a crate motor comes complete long block and with an warranty

DRIVE IT LIKE U'ALL STOLE IT!