Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 05-24-2004, 05:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just been trying to catch up on everything mentally and around the house last week. I would like to thank everybody from the sponsors and car clubs, to the participants and spectators for helping to make the Inaugural Pontiacs in the Park happen. I don't remember 1/2 of it as it was all a blur. So much going on, it all went by so fast. I have been reading and taking notes over the last week of all the comments and plan on taking care of them all for next year. In case anyone who wasn't there didn't hear, the 2nd Annual Pontiacs in the Park will be held on May 14-15 2005. Bryan Pierce the general manager announced this during opening ceremonies ( I hope nobody has that on tape ) Bryan called me last week and gave me some numbers from the weekend. These are what I can read from scribbled down in between breaks during my hazmat training last week. Will post exact figures later. There were 79 2 day racer entries (top/mod), 6 Sunday only race entries. 35 Saturday test and tune entries. 15 2 day street entries, 42 2 day car show entries, 21 single day car show entries. 18 swap meet spaces. And almost 500 spectators. Saturdays gamblers race paid $390.00 to the modified winner and $150.00 to the top winner. Payouts were split by car count. $50.00 was taken from each purse and each class winner ran for the last $100.00. I believe Jeff Verdi won the $100.00. On Sunday the rains came just as we were getting ready to run the top class to finish first round in all the classes. After about a half hour the track crew started to dry the track. We even had some participants in tow vehicles helping to dry the shutdown area. In race control we knew there was very little time to get the track dry as we could see on the doppler that it was raining all around us. After checking on how much more time we needed to finish the shutdown area and knowing it would be raining before that time I told Chris what the situation was and if he thought it would be ok if I called the event so everyone could get loaded up before the rains started again. I made the announcement that the event was being called and that there would be a drivers meeting in 20 minutes to discuss the payouts. Race payouts were divided to all remaining participants in each class including the top class which did not even make a pass for first round. Over $5600.00 in cash and all bonus payouts totaling $2000.00 was paid out. I am not sure of schedule for next year at this time but the cash payouts will be at least the same as this year. Don't know if we can swing 2 purse races or do the same as this year with the gamblers on Sturday and a purse race on Sunday. Kens Speed and Machine has already agreed to sponsor the Quick 16 again and we are working on raising the purse or paying all participants. I will be getting in touch with the car clubs and see how we can improve the car show portion of the event. Try and make specific classes to draw more participants. I think everyone enjoyed being able to take thier showcar on a trip down the track. We will do this again next year as well. Swap meet... we will make announcements to let everyone know you are there. The announcing and announcements were one thing that slipped my mind. Tech being tough? I don't think there is anything to be done by the track in this area. Tech is not tough if you follow the rules. Lieing to pass tech will eventually only hurt you or someone else. It is for your own safety. Track conditions... I heard both ways on condition. I know it was hot and tracks usually get greasy in the summer time. Track workers... I heard plenty of good about them and only two or three negatives. When you go somewhere new it may take a little getting use to how they run things. Motel... I didn't have any complaints about my room but after being at the track for 16 hours not much would really bother me. The hotel looked ok from when I was there in March. The lobby was nice so I figured the rest was too. I was trying to find something nice and ecinomical for everyone. I will look for another hotel in the next few months for next year. There are about 100 T-shirts still available in the following sizes: M-L-XL-2XL and 3XL. I will post pictures of shirts on the website so you can see what they look like. Price on shirts is $15.00 each plus priority mail shipping of $3.50 up to 4 shirts. 4 or more will be $5.50. Included free with the purchase of a T-shirt will be a participant dash plaque which will also be on the website. Indivdual dash plaques can be purchased for $2.50 including shipping. Any remaining T-shirts and dash plaques will be available at Maple Grove and Norwalk. Again thanks to everyone who helped make this event happen.

Old 05-24-2004, 05:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just been trying to catch up on everything mentally and around the house last week. I would like to thank everybody from the sponsors and car clubs, to the participants and spectators for helping to make the Inaugural Pontiacs in the Park happen. I don't remember 1/2 of it as it was all a blur. So much going on, it all went by so fast. I have been reading and taking notes over the last week of all the comments and plan on taking care of them all for next year. In case anyone who wasn't there didn't hear, the 2nd Annual Pontiacs in the Park will be held on May 14-15 2005. Bryan Pierce the general manager announced this during opening ceremonies ( I hope nobody has that on tape ) Bryan called me last week and gave me some numbers from the weekend. These are what I can read from scribbled down in between breaks during my hazmat training last week. Will post exact figures later. There were 79 2 day racer entries (top/mod), 6 Sunday only race entries. 35 Saturday test and tune entries. 15 2 day street entries, 42 2 day car show entries, 21 single day car show entries. 18 swap meet spaces. And almost 500 spectators. Saturdays gamblers race paid $390.00 to the modified winner and $150.00 to the top winner. Payouts were split by car count. $50.00 was taken from each purse and each class winner ran for the last $100.00. I believe Jeff Verdi won the $100.00. On Sunday the rains came just as we were getting ready to run the top class to finish first round in all the classes. After about a half hour the track crew started to dry the track. We even had some participants in tow vehicles helping to dry the shutdown area. In race control we knew there was very little time to get the track dry as we could see on the doppler that it was raining all around us. After checking on how much more time we needed to finish the shutdown area and knowing it would be raining before that time I told Chris what the situation was and if he thought it would be ok if I called the event so everyone could get loaded up before the rains started again. I made the announcement that the event was being called and that there would be a drivers meeting in 20 minutes to discuss the payouts. Race payouts were divided to all remaining participants in each class including the top class which did not even make a pass for first round. Over $5600.00 in cash and all bonus payouts totaling $2000.00 was paid out. I am not sure of schedule for next year at this time but the cash payouts will be at least the same as this year. Don't know if we can swing 2 purse races or do the same as this year with the gamblers on Sturday and a purse race on Sunday. Kens Speed and Machine has already agreed to sponsor the Quick 16 again and we are working on raising the purse or paying all participants. I will be getting in touch with the car clubs and see how we can improve the car show portion of the event. Try and make specific classes to draw more participants. I think everyone enjoyed being able to take thier showcar on a trip down the track. We will do this again next year as well. Swap meet... we will make announcements to let everyone know you are there. The announcing and announcements were one thing that slipped my mind. Tech being tough? I don't think there is anything to be done by the track in this area. Tech is not tough if you follow the rules. Lieing to pass tech will eventually only hurt you or someone else. It is for your own safety. Track conditions... I heard both ways on condition. I know it was hot and tracks usually get greasy in the summer time. Track workers... I heard plenty of good about them and only two or three negatives. When you go somewhere new it may take a little getting use to how they run things. Motel... I didn't have any complaints about my room but after being at the track for 16 hours not much would really bother me. The hotel looked ok from when I was there in March. The lobby was nice so I figured the rest was too. I was trying to find something nice and ecinomical for everyone. I will look for another hotel in the next few months for next year. There are about 100 T-shirts still available in the following sizes: M-L-XL-2XL and 3XL. I will post pictures of shirts on the website so you can see what they look like. Price on shirts is $15.00 each plus priority mail shipping of $3.50 up to 4 shirts. 4 or more will be $5.50. Included free with the purchase of a T-shirt will be a participant dash plaque which will also be on the website. Indivdual dash plaques can be purchased for $2.50 including shipping. Any remaining T-shirts and dash plaques will be available at Maple Grove and Norwalk. Again thanks to everyone who helped make this event happen.

Old 05-24-2004, 05:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sounds like everyone had a great time. Sometimes I wish I lived on the....other coast so I could participate in your events also.

Congrats and a job well done Jim.

Ron

Due to the current economic conditions...the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

Meet you at the finish line.....don't be late!
Old 05-24-2004, 05:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

He lives!

Dad and I had a great time, Jim. Could have done without the heat and humidity though, as well as the rain on Sunday.

I think the format of T&T on Saturday and purses on Sunday is fine. Give it a few years for attendance to build before worrying about a double race.

Old 05-24-2004, 06:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Jim,I had a great time at the event.The race schedule and payouts were great.I don't think you need to change any of that.The car count will pick up next year.Maybe you could have some flyers ready to hand out for next years race at Norwalk and Maple Grove.

Old 05-24-2004, 07:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Jeff! Do you think you can make it to Maple Grove this year? It's only 4-5 hours ain't it... We always have a good time there! D. Miles

Old 05-24-2004, 07:35 PM
Senior Chief

Jim, I also had a great time, THANK YOU!!!!
I will say this from a spectator stand point, I saw the traction issue from the tower! The right lane was crap all weekend! Every car quicker than mid 11's was all over the track right from the start! They would leave hard and get loose a few feet out and drift right to the center line every pass! That was exactly what Mellott did and unfortunately couldn't bring her out of it and kissed the wall after correcting. I can't wait till next year! Thanks again for everyones hard work!

Old 05-25-2004, 08:01 AM
Senior Chief

Jim,

The wife and I had a great time. Will come again next year. The fun run was great the wife got to run her GTP. She just washed her number off yesterday. I had a great time learning on how to run the lemans and find out what was needed with her.

So thanks again and will be back next year.

Tom

Old 05-25-2004, 08:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Jim you impressed my friday night when I pulled up to the gate and you walked up, introduced yourself, guessed who I was, and said you were surprised and glad that I decided to come to the event. All in all, I had a great time, met alot of people I hadn't met before. My only complaint would have been track conditions. I had only one pass that came close to my normal 60 ft's but given the weather conditions (hot, hot, hot +humid as hell) I don't know what could have been done. It also seemed track prep ie: spraying or cleaning, may have been an issue.

Old 05-25-2004, 08:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Damnit, hit something and the reply sent before I finished!

The way the payout was handled on Sunday and guaranteeing the purse impressed me! I've been/seen tracks cut payouts back because they didn't get the car count they want even though they still are making a profit. Hat's off again to you Jim!!! It was a long haul over the frickin mtns both ways but chances are I'll do it again next year!!!!

Old 05-25-2004, 05:39 PM
crazy ray

jim great job. thanks for all you did. will see you again next year.

Old 05-25-2004, 05:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think that for an inaugural event it was great!! In fact I think if this were the 4th or 5th year...it would have been great!!! I'll certainly be back next year, and as I mentioned before Jim, if you need any help with ANYTHING, let me know. Excellent job this year...hats off to everyone who had a part in making it work!

9.81 @ 136.39MPH
Old 05-26-2004, 04:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Jim, great job, we had a great time and will be there next year!.....Cliff

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
Old 05-26-2004, 04:53 AM
Senior Chief

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jeff V:
Maybe you could have some flyers ready to hand out for next years race at Norwalk and Maple Grove. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

HEY JIM!!!!! LET'S MAKE FLYERS!!!!!
I'm ready! Bring it on!!!!

ROTFLMAO!

Jeff, I am not laughing at your suggestion. It's just that we worked so much and even argued a little over the flyers....well, it IS funny now (wasn't funny then.) I was stapling together the KRE flyers to the D port giveaway forms for the goodie bags in the truck on the way to the event.

I'm ready to make more flyers! Oh yeah!!!

Let go of pain, give faith the reins; and let that pony run.