Old 03-06-2003, 06:24 PM

Well,I am back with another question.Things have been going smooth,even got the motor fired.Now while hooking the clutch linkage up I do not know where the spring from the clutch fork hooks to,or which end is which.I bought the single spring for 64 & 65 and i read that it hooks to the exhaust some how.I am confused!Any advise would be helpful.Thanks,Bob.

Old 03-06-2003, 06:24 PM

Well,I am back with another question.Things have been going smooth,even got the motor fired.Now while hooking the clutch linkage up I do not know where the spring from the clutch fork hooks to,or which end is which.I bought the single spring for 64 & 65 and i read that it hooks to the exhaust some how.I am confused!Any advise would be helpful.Thanks,Bob.

Old 03-06-2003, 08:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

On the original flange that holds the exhaust pipe to the manifold there is a hole that is for the spring to attach to. Lots of times these flanges have been discarded over the years, the springs thrown away also. You can drill a small hole in it to attach your spring to.

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 03-07-2003, 07:12 PM

Jery,thanks for the reply.I do not have my exhaust on yet.It just came UPS today.My only other ? would be the dumb one.Which end of the spring goes to the flange?It would have been a whole lot easier if I had taken this apart so I would have an idea how to put it back together.Thanks to people willing to help I will get it together!!!!Bob.

Old 03-08-2003, 04:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What if your are running headers, where do you hook it then?

Old 03-08-2003, 08:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Its been a long time, and I don't have my Restoration Guide with me. (It's loaned out at the time) From memory, there is a long straight arm from the spring with a hook, that is the end that goes on the flange. Like I said, that's just from my memory of how the spring looks. As for headers, a lot of time this spring just got tossed, as the pressure from the clutch and pressure plate itself was enough to return the pedal. The spring just made sure and smoother operation.

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 03-08-2003, 08:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The long end goes to the flange and the fat/short end goes over the release fork. With headers I put the long end around the front of the clutch rod, then I add one spring. I drill a small hole in the upper part of the bell crank and attach a spring there. I use the stud/nut for the accelerator pedal studs for the other end of the spring. The original spring keeps the clutch rod in place and the added spring holds the pedal up.

http://www.jimspontiac.homestead.com/Index.html

Old 03-09-2003, 04:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey OMT, I'm confused on your 2nd spring, is it inside the car pulling on the clutch pedal ?

- Jim Doran -Some Pics of my 65

2016 Chevy SS; Sold
2001 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
2008 Infiniti G35x
Old 03-09-2003, 06:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

No, it is on the outside. It is not at a great angle, but it works well enough.

http://www.jimspontiac.homestead.com/Index.html

Old 03-10-2003, 02:21 PM

Well,thanks to all the advise and a little help from the weather Sat. I installed the exhaust and the flange bolt hole had enough room for the spring ,the other end popped on and I now have a functional clutch!One more small step.Thanks to all that replied!Now on to the next step.Bob.