Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 01-03-2006, 08:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Question Timing Cover for 66 Tri-Power

I am putting together a new motor and will at least initially be using a 66 Tri-Power on it. What timing covers (69 & up style) will fit? Do they have to have the dimple to work? What years have the dimple? I have seen some aftermarket Timing Covers advertized recently, one from KRE and reproducation one. Does either of these have the dimple and/or will they fit? Is it possible to use a different water neck on the manifold to make if work with one of the non-dimpled covers. If so, what water neck would work and where can I get one? I'm not concerned about looking stock but don't want things to look "hacked up".

Old 01-03-2006, 09:35 PM
Boost Engineer

Some like PDude say you can "grind on things" and "make it fit" with the stock non dimpled timing cover. You have to gring both the timing cover and the water neck.

I bought a brand new timing cover a couple of years ago and had a GOOD WELDER add the dimple for me in the cover. Not cheap but not "hacked up" either.

If the tri-power was not a "Car used in a Judging competition" or the tri-power was one of the aluminum repop deals I think you might be able to
cut the water cross-over off and be able to mess with the thermostat that way vs messing with the cover for T Stat changes.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 01-03-2006, 09:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

1969 thru 1974 covers have the dimple, 1975 thru 1979 does not, you need the cover with the dimple for the Tri-Power, lot of used ones out there, should be easy for you to find one. Also if the cover you do use has the dimple you may also have to run a file accross the rear top water pump bolt hole bosses to get a good fit, no big deal but if that cover was never mated to a Tri-Power intake it has to be fitted (so to speak). If you can't find a GOOD used cover with the dimple 69-74 then contact me, i may be able to help you. Also the new Kauffman cover does not have the dimple cast in it, i know, i have one. As far as the other repop on the market, the one Jim Butler sells i can't speak for as i don't own one yet. transamgeezer@webtv.net

Last edited by Robert Williams; 01-03-2006 at 10:10 PM.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:36 PM
Pontiac Performance Author

I once used the small alum t-stat housing and cut out the interfereing section on a band saw, and welded it back in--inverted.

Old 01-03-2006, 11:13 PM
Boost Engineer

Hope you had a great Christmas, Ken!

Basically what I had done too.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 01-04-2006, 03:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You´ll need to use the correct damper and pulley´s matching the 1969-74 cover.