Old 03-18-2017, 11:45 PM

Default 61 Bonny Safari center link questions

Hey all. Pulled my center link out to send for rebuild. I have a few questions first. Just want to diagnose before I spend the money.

Are the ball studs supposed to be stationary in the center link Or swivel all around like a tie rod ? My ball stud on the pitman side moves side to side. I dont think it should have any movement except to spin . No fore, aft, or lateral movement. When I hit the brakes the tire on that side pulls left and it looks like its because There is wear/ side to side movement in the ball stud on the pitman side. Hard to explain .

Ball stud on idler arm side of center link looks like maybe it SHOULD have movement like a tie rod does. Swivel all around.

I know a few guys have converted to a 1963 setup. If that is the case can someone verify what parts from 63 need to be used in place of the 61 pieces ? As long as its all a bolt in and doesnt mess up geometry that may be a better way to go. Thanks.

Old 03-19-2017, 09:37 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Both studs should swivel around. Put it in a vice and force the semi stationary end and I think it will move for you.

I put a 63 drag link on my 62. All you have to do is get a reamer that matched the correct taper for the 61 parts and re-ream the 63 to match. I knew the degree of taper at one time but forget now. Super easy and will save you some money over rebuilding your old one, I would think. Also I've seen those reamers @ Jegs/Summit...

Anyone in your neighborhood that races dirt track cars should have the reamer you need. Those guys break front end stuff all the time!

Hope this helps.

Old 03-19-2017, 11:33 PM

Got it cleaned up to have a good look at. Pitman side looks like it is stationary and has ball bearings in there. There are pieces of broken nylon or plastic around the stud that is falling out. That is allowing some side to,side motion. Idler side is definitely a swivel ball stud. I am going to look around and compare costs.

This is idler side
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	450146  

Old 03-19-2017, 11:36 PM

This is pitman side
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	450148  

Old 03-20-2017, 03:40 PM

Since all the tie rods are worn bad I am going to go with all 63 parts. Will the 61 pitman arm be ok with the 63 center link or is that the part that needs to be reamed ?