Old 05-20-2014, 06:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default hood hinge

hi i know its been ask but what is the right color or finish for my 64 gto hood hinge i talk to a guy in los angles been doing hood hinges for 30 years he says bear metal but most on the form say gray or black phosphate thanks for your time brody car build date 12 28 63

Old 05-20-2014, 06:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...ght=hood+hinge

Rowland Hall knows his stuff, Brody. If you haven't already, check out this earlier post. My hinges are still as I received them years ago. You will find NO BETTER! "Bill"!

Old 05-20-2014, 07:51 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I did a search on Rowland and came up empty. Is he still in business?

Old 05-20-2014, 09:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

818 845-3574 should get him. "Bill"!

Old 05-20-2014, 10:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default hood hinge

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...od+hinge+color Bare metal will rust, that's why the coated them with phosphate, then came Roland and his bare hinges. I don't get it! john

Old 05-20-2014, 10:56 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I just spoke to Roland and his process is to glass bead them, then tumble them to soften the look and then he clear coats them with satin clear for bare metal. This will prevent the rust. The catch is they have to be clear coated as soon as they are tumbled or surface rust will begin and clear coating them at that point will not prevent the rust from spreading. Mine are being sent out to him in a few days.

Old 05-21-2014, 05:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default hood hinge

http://brakeboosters.com/zp.htm worth the call, then decide. just sayin.

Old 05-22-2014, 05:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Interesting question.

Zazarine & Roberts states in the Resto Guide that the hinge and springs were plated "black cadmium" for replacement parts.

But were "natural metal in appearance" for original parts.

See pages 79 & 82.

"Natural metal in appearance" does not necessarily mean they were bare metal.

Seems unlikely that the original equipment parts did not have some sort of protective coating on them if only to prevent them from surface rusting and looking bad. I suppose they could have been unplated but well oiled to prevent rust prior to installation. But that would likely be messy.

I'm with 8LUG, my sense tells me they must have been plated and grey phosphate makes sense to me.

I wonder if anybody has had original hinges tested for evidence of plating?

Old 05-22-2014, 06:43 PM
Senior Chief

Yes, grey phosphate.
Light oil was applied following the coating process.

Old 05-22-2014, 08:32 PM
Senior Chief

Let me expand on this.

For 1964
They can test for phospate. On components 30, and now 50 years old, visual examination can determine the use of grey or another type of phosphate. The hinges submitted were on low milage vehicles in fairly decent shape. The presence of the grey was easily determined by the visual examination of the exposed areas, and all the more confirmed by examining the protected (against fender) areas of the hinges. Back in the1980's, the shop that I used had a couple of Detroit transfers that worked in the auto plating industry. Discussions with them supported the use of the grey phosphate coating on the hinges. One note on grey phosphate is that the color can be in all shades of grey. The last set of hinges I had coated were an extremely dark shade of grey (but not black). This was the darkest set I had done by them, and was ready to have them redone, when I was reminded that the light oil applied to them would eventually dry out, lightening the shade of grey. I have had these hinges wrapped in heavy paper, inside a box, inside a temperature controlled garage for the past 6 years, and despite this, they have begun, ever so slightly, to lighten. I believe the black phosphate was used on hinges in later years.