Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 12-12-2013, 10:24 AM

Default Need advice on going from Flat to Roller cam 474

I bought my 78 T/A last spring with a 474 Butler Performance build. The PO did the build closely following this build in High Performance Pontiac.

http://www.highperformancepontiac.co..._engine_build/

The only thing he did different was he used a flat tappet cam. I asked him why and he said the roller set up would not fit under the short valve covers and he wanted to run A/C. I have another T/A with a 461 Butler build and it is a full roller motor with A/C so I'm here asking what my options are.

I am pulling the motor in the next couple weeks to install a new rear main seal and while it is out I want to go hydraulic roller. I am not sure what cam I have but he said it was close to what is in the article.

Little info about the car;

3000 stall; 3:08 gears; Eddy heads 87cc; Dougs headers; Pypes 3" X pipe to 2 1/2 out the back with Texas T/A mufflers; RPM intake; 850 Holley; MSD Ign and Dist. The rest of what's in the motor is in the magazine article.

Keep in mind I might go with EFI (Fast 2.0) so I think I need to watch duration with EFI?

The car has a decent lope but not as thumpy and I would like. I mainly drive the car on the street, no drag strip time. I have another car for that. But I want the best roller cam for my set up if I can even do it.

Thank you,

Brett

17" Y/O

1978 Y88 4 Speed T Top
PHS Docs
Restored

1987 Grand national
4.1 Stroker Motor
Just a 6 Cylinder Buick

Last edited by BARRACUDA1968; 12-12-2013 at 10:35 AM.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Old Faithfull

I would either run the "Old Faithful" cam or something similar. I just built an engine almost identical to yours for a customer. Same CI, heads, intake, carb, headers. I went with a Comp Cams 236 I and 242E, 112 LSA, .610 lift w/1.65 rockers if I remember right. Engine dyno'd at 585 HP, 617 lb ft toque. The heads were 310 CFM by KRE and I ported and modified the intake quite a bit. Idles pretty smooth though so you might want to step it up a little if you want the "sound". If you do go with more cam you might want to step up the rear gear to a 3:42.

Old 12-12-2013, 12:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

confused about the PO's statement that a roller cam wouldnt "fit" under short valve covers. a roller cam or its lifters have nothing to do with the valve covers, which i'm sure you already know.

the thing that matters is the valley pan, it needs to be clearanced on later pans, 71 & older usually clear the lifters ok. the new tomahawk valley pans clear fine. i have the SD old faithfull in a 468 stroker. & full roller lifters fit under stock height valve covers as long as you use the 1/4" gaskets or get a spacer.

the only things special for a roller cam are, bronze or composite dist gear, valley pan to clear lifters, correct valve springs to match the cam, & about 4-5 times the $$ that a normal cam costs! oh & no special break in or oil.

Old 12-12-2013, 12:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

they probably were referring to using a stud girdle with short covers, which will not work.

Old 12-12-2013, 12:32 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Go with the Old Faithful, but go with the 114 LSA if you're considering EFI.

Old 12-12-2013, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.C.you View Post
they probably were referring to using a stud girdle with short covers, which will not work.
That may be it? Is the stud girdle a necessity?

I'm not sure I can get away with a 1/4 spacer and put the A/C back on? The A/C bracket is pretty close to the valve cover as is. I may be wrong though.

Once I get the motor out I can give you guy's better info as to what I have now. I knew about the valley pan but not the gear on the dist. I have a Billet MSD mech advance now.

I just take my time and get the combo correct.

I also don't know if there has been any head work done either? I definitely going to do a valve job when the heads are off. Maybe porting if we think I need it with whatever can I go with.

Thanks for the help so far!

17" Y/O

1978 Y88 4 Speed T Top
PHS Docs
Restored

1987 Grand national
4.1 Stroker Motor
Just a 6 Cylinder Buick