Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-02-2015, 08:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 70 Formula 400 Build: The Sequel

I bought another Formula 400 a while back. I had been looking for another car, (although I was not planned on buying another project), but when I stumbled on this one, I couldn't say no. You just don't find them like this too often anymore. The car was all together when I saw it, but it had a mid 70's 400 in it with a dead hole, so the car had been sitting for about four years.

I bought the car "as seen" in the pictures below. I then bought some additional parts from the seller, including a complete 1970 Firebird 400 engine (WT code) which date coded perfectly to the car. The engine had previously been rebuilt, although I don't know exactly how many miles its been since the rebuild. I also purchased a set of original (not repop RA exhaust manifolds, a correct 7040563 carb, a 70 Formula air cleaner, a set of 14 inch rally II wheels (generic codes) with like new radial t/a's, and a bunch of other parts needed to make the car as correct as possible. For now my plan is to get the engine swapped in so the car is running, then swap out the incorrect parts as I go.

The seller is a heavy duty mechanic and engine builder, and since he has a pretty well equipped shop at his house, as part of the deal I am doing the work at his place and he is helping. Therefore I have not brought the car home yet, although it is getting close.

Just like my last Formula, this was built in Norwood but sold new in the San Francisco bay area. Not my favorite color combo, (Palomino Copper with dark brown interior), but at least the car is well optioned.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0900.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	404235   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0901.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	404236   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0873.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	404237   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0874.jpg
Views:	723
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	404238   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0893.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	404239  

Last edited by eaglesan13; 08-02-2015 at 08:24 PM.