Old 06-14-2010, 10:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The roof stripe they mistakenly sent me actually had a clear outer border though not consistently cut from one side to the other.

Old 06-15-2010, 04:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Got the PG hood stripe today. It does have a clear outer perimeter, though it is cut too close on one side. The total width at the widest point is exactly 18 inches out to edges of the clear border. If they had correctly trimmed the clear borders to be a consistent 1/8" on either side, it would be similar to the S&S stripes. Haven't pulled any backing or top layer off. I won't be doing that until installation time which won't be til next week.

Still doesn't explain why the roof stripe was too narrow, though.

Old 06-25-2010, 04:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Finally got back in town and installed the Phoenix Graphix hood stripe. The stripe seems to be the right color and dimension and matches the Stencils&Stripes brand roof and trunk decals. The quality control of the trimming of the clear outer area leaves a lot to be desired, though. It ranges from 3/8 inch in the corners to 1 mm along the sides. Not very good trimming done by the manufacturer, at all. (Still better than the non-existent, 1-year back-ordered, hood stripe that never arrived from the other stripe maker.)

It will take a few days for the remaining bubbles to evaporate and then it should look pretty good. It was a bear getting that cut out to properly match the shaker hole. Took about 2 hours with a lot of application gel.

Close ups on the outer perimeter:

Old 06-25-2010, 07:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wow, Yes they tried to get it right, but that quality leaves alot to be desired. QUALITY IS JOB ONE.....this is a very limeted part that we would pay for a HIGH QUALITY part . In my eyes they really failed what I consider a test of what they produce and the care that is given to its production. I would be ashamed to send that part to a customer, and they did knowing full well the quality was second rate. It is a shame that no matter how much you put into a restoration you are reliant on the skills or lack of skills of others. It looks as though they have the skills to do it right ,why don't they?

Old 06-25-2010, 07:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

One more thing.....Steve I know that you want that car on the road just as i wanted to get mine on the road a few years ago ,so you put it on just like I did. Now I would make sure that PG understands that this decal is not deserving to be put on your car and that you expect them to find you one that is PROPERLY cut so you can put a decal of the QUALITY that OUR cars deserve and they claim they make.

Old 06-25-2010, 08:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I did call them and bring it to their attention today, as well as sending them the above photos. We'll see what they do. I also gave them the correct dimensions and the original and NOS photos I have collected from all you guys. Maybe they'll fix this once and for all. I will keep y'all updated.

Old 06-26-2010, 01:20 PM

njsteve. Do you think if someone took there time the edge could be trimed even.

Old 06-26-2010, 01:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The 2nd to last pic shows some pretty poor quality on cutting the stripe & I'm sure it was impossible to see with the pre mask on. Too bad as it would have been a lot easier to straighten out before application.

Old 06-26-2010, 03:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It would take some seriously steady hands and an ultra sharp scalpel to trim it properly without cutting the paint. There was no way to see the bad trim job until it was installed, since you only find out once the top masking layer is removed.

Old 06-26-2010, 07:53 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Is it possible to peel back the TOP LAYER and use a straight edge and then lay it back down..??

Old 06-26-2010, 09:26 PM
Senior Chief

Last weekend I started to install my S/S hood stripe and when I marked the center line I noted that the clear perimeter was not cut true and the front of the hood the black outline is off as well. I’m having my local sign shop cut them true to match the each side, not much I can do about the black line at the center. I should have them installed this week.
Pat

Old 06-26-2010, 10:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

GEEZ...Maybe my first design PG stripe without the boarder isn't so bad after all. Never thought I would say that.

Old 06-27-2010, 08:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Pat, you may want to call S&S and check to se if they have another blue car hood stripe. The supply problem they were having was with the white car stripes.

Old 06-27-2010, 09:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I called S&S and a few parts houses to see if any stripes for a blue car were on the shelf. No one has any that I could find.

Ron? at S&S said he has a folder on these stripes and will, at some point schedule another run of these. He didn't say, but I suppose he meant blue and white stripes. No eta though.

Old 06-27-2010, 12:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ralph is the guy at S&S. They have been saying that exact same thing since August, 2009. I would call every 2 weeks and hear the same thing, week after week. After ten months I gave up on ever seeing a hood stripe from them. At least they did the decent thing and refunded my money, all of it, including what I paid for the stripe sections I received.

Old 06-28-2010, 04:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Spoke with the guys at Phoenix Graphix today. They are sending me out another hood stripe and said they will examine it prior to shipping to make sure the clear outer border is trimmed properly. I will update when it arrives.

Old 06-28-2010, 05:25 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by njsteve View Post
Spoke with the guys at Phoenix Graphix today. They are sending me out another hood stripe and said they will examine it prior to shipping to make sure the clear outer border is trimmed properly. I will update when it arrives.
..How do yah get the stripe off..?? heat gun...???

Old 06-28-2010, 06:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Correct - a heat gun to soften the vinyl and the adhesive and then slowly peel away backwards over the decal

Old 06-28-2010, 07:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

NOW THAT IS CUSTOMER SERVICE........Maybe they are figuring it out after all

Old 07-20-2010, 06:39 AM

njsteve..did you ever get another stripe.