Old 11-18-2007, 10:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVERULD
Jason:
That is a great story and an awesome car. I think it was meant for you to own this car. I'd try to find the chick that the ring belongs to - maybe it's meant for you to have her too!!!!
Jason's kinda young for a woman that graduated in '70. Heck, she's older that me!

Old 11-19-2007, 11:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sorry, didn't know how old Jason is. I bet she'd still like to have that ring back and maybe take a ride in that car again - still a cool story!

Old 11-19-2007, 03:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I bet the old farmer or his brother that bought it new knows exactly whose ring it was.

The woman would be in the 55 year old range now.

Could take it around town like Cinderella's Slipper and see if it fits any of the 54-56 year old women !

Would like to see the blushing expression of a 55 y/o woman explaining to her 75 y/o mother, or her children, how and where she finally found her 1970 class ring !

umm.... Jason how old is your mom ? omg lol - sorry for that.

Old 11-19-2007, 03:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Great story! Is it possible that the car could have been built with the hood pins?

1971 GT-37 - 350/M38, Rosewood Metallic/Black
www.GT-37.org
Old 11-19-2007, 05:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

UPC-WU2:
Will you please explain your license plate for me? Are those option codes?

Old 11-19-2007, 05:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
UPC-WU2:
Will you please explain your license plate for me? Are those option codes?
I think it's the GT-37 option on a Lemans in 70 and/or 71

Old 11-19-2007, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Held for Ransom
Does this car have molding lines on the underside of the rear spoiler?

No molding lines that I can see.

Old 11-19-2007, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Sorry, didn't know how old Jason is. I bet she'd still like to have that ring back and maybe take a ride in that car again - still a cool story!
I'm only 32 years old.

We have found the original owner of the ring......and it's a GUY! The ring was so small I just assumed it was a girl's. My sister called the high school it came from and they went through the records and there was only one person in that class with those initials. Unbelievably.....they guy's mother still lives in that same town, which is about 15 minutes from me. We got in touch with her today. The ring belongs to her son who lives in Houston, TX. She is about 80 years old but VERY active and energetic. We personally delivered the ring to her today. She is leaving for Houston tomorrow to visit her son on Thanksgiving.....so we found her just in time! She was so excited!

HERE IS THE KICKER: The guy who is the ring's owner is the original owner of the car! Apparantly he bought the car when he was a senior in high school and only had it for about a year. His mother totally remembers the car as he bought it from his uncle who worked at the local Pontiac dealership. She said all her son's friends used to love to ride in the car whereever they went because that car "was all the rage back then" she said. ......so I am the 4th owner instead of the 3rd.

I got her son's phone number and I'll be contacting him as soon as I can to see what his recollections are and to see if he might have any old pictures or anything.

Old 11-19-2007, 06:49 PM

A nice picture of the original "GM CANADA" sticker inside the door. We'll definately be saving that baby.

Old 11-19-2007, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Von Zeppelin

Don't alter anything about the cars condition. I don't want it at all after it's restored. Would like a chance to buy it as-is if you are ever going to sale it at some point.

I'd love to leave it "as is".....but I think it's a little too far advanced with the surface rust to leave it alone. That spot below the driver's mirror is all bare metal with surface rust on it. I could just re-do the paint......but if you're gonna go that far you might as well go crazy.

Also, the interior has served as a mouse hotel for 30 years. I pulled a mouse nest out of the back seat as big as my head, complete with little mummified mouse skeletons inside.

So needless to say, the interior has a smell of mouse urine that is not going to go away without new carpeting and headliner. I will be saving the seats and door panels as they are in mint condition.

Old 11-19-2007, 07:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I just looked through my shipping manifests since you posted the vin.Sorry,I don't have yours.

Old 11-19-2007, 07:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonD
I'm only 32 years old.

We have found the original owner of the ring......and it's a GUY! The ring was so small I just assumed it was a girl's. My sister called the high school it came from and they went through the records and there was only one person in that class with those initials. Unbelievably.....they guy's mother still lives in that same town, which is about 15 minutes from me. We got in touch with her today. The ring belongs to her son who lives in Houston, TX. She is about 80 years old but VERY active and energetic. We personally delivered the ring to her today. She is leaving for Houston tomorrow to visit her son on Thanksgiving.....so we found her just in time! She was so excited!

HERE IS THE KICKER: The guy who is the ring's owner is the original owner of the car! Apparantly he bought the car when he was a senior in high school and only had it for about a year. His mother totally remembers the car as he bought it from his uncle who worked at the local Pontiac dealership. She said all her son's friends used to love to ride in the car whereever they went because that car "was all the rage back then" she said. ......so I am the 4th owner instead of the 3rd.

I got her son's phone number and I'll be contacting him as soon as I can to see what his recollections are and to see if he might have any old pictures or anything.
Jason - VERY cool story, and great detective work!

BTW, I'm in Houston if you need me to facilitate anything with the original owner.

2008 GMC Sierra Denali 2WD Crew, L92 6L80E, Silver w/ Ebony guts, 14.26 @ 98
Old 11-19-2007, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN2PLS2
I just looked through my shipping manifests since you posted the vin.Sorry,I don't have yours.
Thanks for looking anyways.

Old 11-19-2007, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd-TX
Jason - VERY cool story, and great detective work!

BTW, I'm in Houston if you need me to facilitate anything with the original owner.
Thanks for the offer.

I figure I'll wait until Friday to get in touch with him because by then he'll have his old class ring and will owe me a favor. ha ha

Old 11-19-2007, 08:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Great story Jason and love the part about giving back! Also, great pictures as well.

Old 11-19-2007, 08:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Boy, this story keeps getting better and better. I'll be back, I'm going to get some popcorn!

Old 11-19-2007, 09:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This may be a POCI story?

1970 GTO Convertible 455 Ram Air M-21, Atoll/Blue/Black, Hood Tach, 3:31 12-Bolt Posi, A/C, Console

1966 Grand Prix 421 Tripower 4spd, Marina Turquoise/Turquoise, a/c, console, posi, reverb. pa, pb, ps, remote mirror, mats

2010 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic, 6spd Hemi, Detonator Yellow, black stripe, black leather
Old 11-19-2007, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70ra455
This may be a POCI story?

It's surely an interesting story.....and still developing too.

Once I get word back from GM Canada and I talk to the original owner, I might have some really neat information to relay.

I hope the Canadian papers show the "WT7" option because that would truly document the existence of non-Arlington WT7s right from GM.....which will blow that whole misconception right out of the water.

Old 11-19-2007, 11:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That class ring led you right to the original owner! How cool is that?

Robz is correct, WU2 is the UPC option code for the GT-37 option in 70-71 and also for the Lemans GT option for '72-'76. WU2 is kinda like the WT1 option code for the Judge.

1971 GT-37 - 350/M38, Rosewood Metallic/Black
www.GT-37.org
Old 11-19-2007, 11:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Jason:
Way to go man! My high school ring was stolen along with my pants and wallet while I was taking scuba lessons in college and I'd love to have it back - so I know the owner of that ring is going to be pleased. What a cool story. I was sort of starting to come down off my high after buying my 455 HO car from Judge 273 (meaning that I'm not standing in the garage every night just staring at my car and grinning) but now this story has me all pumped up again just watching it unfold. That's what is so cool about this hobby and especially this forum. We are all living vicariously through the adventures of the others on here and speaking for me, it's as close to being 16 again as I'll ever get. Man I love these cars! Keep the pictures and story coming. (Greg, I'm with you - I'm getting some popcorn!)