Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 02-16-2008, 05:55 PM

Default BG 280 Fuel Pump/Regulator Pressure

Hi and ongoing fuel pressure problem with BG280 system. BG 280 pump and 2 port regulator always has high/varying pressure up to 16lbs even After replacing both with New while BG rebuilt originals (welcome to BG world). I try to set @9lbs but will never stay there, checked with shop gauge (not dash) and has New BG filter and line is clear/fuel cell is vented/constant voltage-amps to pump. Called BG tech and they said just send all back again! My other cars have BG400 pumps no problems but they have Return Line unlike 280. Confused

Old 02-17-2008, 01:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've had really good luck with the BG 280's. I suspect a regulator problem, maybe a hose coming appart internally after the filter?

Old 02-17-2008, 04:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

We really need to know all about the entire fuel system to understand where there may be issues.

Things like how and where the regulators are mounted can have an affect on this.

Line sizes and plumbing before and after the pump can too.

Is this regulator dead headed (sounds like it to me).

What sorta gauges are you using to get these readings.

BG says those pumps are pre-set for 20 psi bypass (internal) from the factory.

Are you setting the regulator in a flowing state?

The more you tell us the better.

In the meantime,check out the cars HERE.

Old 02-17-2008, 01:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I ran into the same problem with a 140gph pump "dead-headed" to a billet two port regulator. I ran it for almost two years constantly adjusting the fuel pressure. Finally the pump decided it wasn't going to relieve pressure via the internal bypass anymore! It would just push full pressure all the time which was way too much pressure for the regulator. When I called Aeromotive to see what happened, I was told any pump pushing over 90 gph @7.0+ lbs should NOT be dead-headed. Any fuel pump over the 90 gph rating, in their opinion, must/should be setup with a return style regulator.

I was a little confused as the pump came with instructions for either fuel system plumbing. I was told these are "Generic" fuel system diagrams not intended for proper plumbing of the fuel system. OK, I pulled it off and installed the Mallory 110 pump for the timing being. In the end, if your running a 280 gph pump, even with an internal bypass, I would never try running it dead-head. Now, you'll need to make sure the internal bypass is operational and re-plumb the car with a return style regulator w/return line. Good luck, JD

Old 02-17-2008, 01:19 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

i have had the same problem with MANY bg regulators. use it for a paperweight and get a magnafuel regulator. and WHEN that pump starts leaking and you get tired of playing ping-pong with barry grant. get a magnafuel 300 or 500 and have no more problems.

Old 02-17-2008, 11:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Make sure you are setting the pressure at about 2000 RPM, when the fuel is FLOWING

Previous - 2001 Jerry Haas-built P/S Grand Am - former WJ car, Hoffman Racing 535" IA2, Tiger Heads/Intake, Single Dominator, PG
Best ET: 7.776 @ 175.94, 1.096 60', 2375 lbs.
Old 02-28-2008, 04:29 PM
Senior Chief

Are you setting the regulator with the motor running? Also may want to check the id. on the inlet fitting and make sure it measures at least .530 and that it is not so long that it is contacting the internals. Also this fitting must be a straight,no 45 or 90's there.

Technical Support

Barry Grant, Inc.

BG Fuel System, Demon Carburetors, Nitrous Works, Rush Filters

www.barrygrant.com
Old 02-28-2008, 05:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Maybe I'm lucky but I've never had any issues with BG stuff. I've run the 400's since 1991. I DO prefer a return style set up. It just makes sense it would work better and have less strain than a dead head.

Old 02-28-2008, 11:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by punisher#1
i have had the same problem with MANY bg regulators. use it for a paperweight and get a magnafuel regulator. and WHEN that pump starts leaking and you get tired of playing ping-pong with barry grant. get a magnafuel 300 or 500 and have no more problems.

Great!! I have two BG280's that are leaking and need to be sent back. What ever happened to the good old days when you could rebuild your own pump???? I may be just switching to something else. I don't need issues with returns.....waiting.......lost.... returned..... still leaks... etc. Just going with something else will probably be easier. (not cheaper)

Old 02-29-2008, 03:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I use product engineering pumps right now,they are fully rebuildable and rated for continuous duty,serious pumps that's for sure.

Another very good choice is the magnafuel stuff.

IIRC product engineering sells seal kits for the BG 280 pumps,check their fuel pump parts section on their website.

They also repair certain models of BG pumps and regulators as well.

product engineering.com

HTH.

In the meantime,check out the cars HERE.

Old 02-29-2008, 10:00 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontiac462
Great!! I have two BG280's that are leaking and need to be sent back. What ever happened to the good old days when you could rebuild your own pump???? I may be just switching to something else. I don't need issues with returns.....waiting.......lost.... returned..... still leaks... etc. Just going with something else will probably be easier. (not cheaper)
Our pumps have always had to be returned to us for repairs which is why we offer a lifetime labor warranty on them . Our return is simple on them and you just send them in with your return address and phone number and we call you for a credit card number. No lost pumps, no hassles.Once we receive them they are flow tested on the same benches that they were when new and checked for both flow and amp draw. We only replace the parts that are needed to get them back to original spec. One of the guys mentioned others selling seals but the problem with that is in many cases we still see those back here as the motors are not properly orientated for the correct flow and amp draw. If the motor is off enough it can also damage the new seal and possibly the internals and because of this and liability reasons is why we have that policy. Our competitors pumps leak as well and up until we went to a superior seal a few months ago were all using the same seal.

Technical Support

Barry Grant, Inc.

www.barrygrant.com
Old 02-29-2008, 11:50 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech @ BG
Our pumps have always had to be returned to us for repairs which is why we offer a lifetime labor warranty on them . Our return is simple on them and you just send them in with your return address and phone number and we call you for a credit card number. No lost pumps, no hassles.Once we receive them they are flow tested on the same benches that they were when new and checked for both flow and amp draw. We only replace the parts that are needed to get them back to original spec. One of the guys mentioned others selling seals but the problem with that is in many cases we still see those back here as the motors are not properly orientated for the correct flow and amp draw. If the motor is off enough it can also damage the new seal and possibly the internals and because of this and liability reasons is why we have that policy. Our competitors pumps leak as well and up until we went to a superior seal a few months ago were all using the same seal.
that's all well and good if you find the leak on monday and you have to race on saturday. but if you are at the track and the pump springs a leak you have to carry a complete spare pump @300-500 dollars each. it is much more cost effective to carry a couple of $14.00 seal kits in the tool box just in case.
most of the guys on this board and in this hobby are perfectly capable of assembling an engine or a transmission. you think they could not rebuild a fuel pump? is it rocket science? i don't think so.

Old 02-29-2008, 04:55 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by punisher#1
that's all well and good if you find the leak on monday and you have to race on saturday. but if you are at the track and the pump springs a leak you have to carry a complete spare pump @300-500 dollars each. it is much more cost effective to carry a couple of $14.00 seal kits in the tool box just in case.
most of the guys on this board and in this hobby are perfectly capable of assembling an engine or a transmission. you think they could not rebuild a fuel pump? is it rocket science? i don't think so.
This policy has nothing to do with the guys ability on this board nor any other racer but has to do with making sure that the end user has a quality and safe product ,one that would not cause harm to themselves or their equipment. There are also liabilty concerns as well and in the interest of protecting our employees and ensuring that we are here for years to come this has been the policy for over 20 years. Not here to argue the point but rather help if we can, where we can.

Technical Support

Barry Grant, Inc.

www.barrygrant.com
Old 02-29-2008, 07:32 PM

Thanks for replies and BG Tech sorta says it all (and never fully read my post) - 280 systems suck and I had called BG tech a few times just to hear (after they get an expert!) "we dont know - just send it back" even after both been sent back 2x. I would hope they are losing business over time and will shop for a Magna Fuel or whatever. BG products are Top $$$ and I expect better. I even have to have Spares in case any of the BG400 pumps go! Good that things have changed and there are Other Brands/Competition. And I still prefer a Holley Dominator over a ......

Old 02-29-2008, 10:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Not a knock on BG directly. I have just had bad experiences in the past when I have sent items back to the manufacturer to be repaired. I sent 3 MSD units back for repair. They said it would be 1-2 weeks. 3 weeks later I check on them and they can't find one of the units. After a big fiasco they ended up giving me a new unit but it was a bad experience. I sent a converter back to be tightened up. Same thing.....lost the converter. 4 weeks and too many phone calls. It's just a hassle. That's why if I can do something myself, I prefer to do that.

I rebuilt Holley blue pumps all the time for myself and others. Never had an issue. For $75 I didn't expect much from those pumps but they did well for the money. When I pay $300+ for a pump, I expect more. I haven't had good results from either BG280 pump I've bought. Each has lasted just over a year. I bought the second one just because I didn't want to send the first one back to get repaired. Now I have two leaking pumps. Why would I send them back and pay $75-150 for each to be repaired plus shipping and have them last a year again? Just doesn't make sense. I'll be switching to something else.

Old 03-03-2008, 06:54 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Are you setting the regulator with the motor running? Also may want to check the id. on the inlet fitting and make sure it measures at least .530 and that it is not so long that it is contacting the internals. Also this fitting must be a straight,no 45 or 90's there.
I did read your entire post several times and actually have done so again over and over and nowhere do I see the questions I posed [trying to help] answered. All of this plays a factor . Are the 400's plumbed identically with the same regulators ,fittings and line sizes? The 280 is internally bypased and makes approx 18 lbs depending upon plumbing and voltage. The 400 even though it has an adjustable bypass is in most cases set higher than this as well so apples to apples the 400 would carry a higher forward pressure against the regulator given the same exact plumbing anf line sizes. Not here to argue but just trying to help get to the bottom of what you have going on.

Technical Support

Barry Grant, Inc.

www.barrygrant.com
Old 03-03-2008, 06:56 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontiac462
Not a knock on BG directly. I have just had bad experiences in the past when I have sent items back to the manufacturer to be repaired. I sent 3 MSD units back for repair. They said it would be 1-2 weeks. 3 weeks later I check on them and they can't find one of the units. After a big fiasco they ended up giving me a new unit but it was a bad experience. I sent a converter back to be tightened up. Same thing.....lost the converter. 4 weeks and too many phone calls. It's just a hassle. That's why if I can do something myself, I prefer to do that.

I rebuilt Holley blue pumps all the time for myself and others. Never had an issue. For $75 I didn't expect much from those pumps but they did well for the money. When I pay $300+ for a pump, I expect more. I haven't had good results from either BG280 pump I've bought. Each has lasted just over a year. I bought the second one just because I didn't want to send the first one back to get repaired. Now I have two leaking pumps. Why would I send them back and pay $75-150 for each to be repaired plus shipping and have them last a year again? Just doesn't make sense. I'll be switching to something else.
If it is just a leak it runs 25.00 to reseal them plus the shipping.

Technical Support

Barry Grant, Inc.

www.barrygrant.com
Old 03-03-2008, 10:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to Goathead

Quote:
At what cost? Just freight? Everytime I have one redone, it ain't cheap....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJrDl3nRNCM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fvywdocl4GA

http://ultimategto.com/icongraf/65headtitle.jpg
Old 03-04-2008, 09:11 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goathead
At what cost? Just freight? Everytime I have one redone, it ain't cheap....
Parts and shipping only dependant upon what they require to get them back to spec. If all they need is a reseal,thats all we do. We only replace what is bad. Properly plumbed and in the intended application [race only] they are fairly trouble free and we see guys run them 3 ,4 , 5 years and even longer and never have an issue with them. Where we se most of the issues is where guys are running them on the street or they have sat up for awhile or the plumbing is wrong. 280's have to be fed with a 10 inlet and 400's with a 12. Both pumps have to be gravity fed and have adequate vents as well.

Technical Support

Barry Grant, Inc.

www.barrygrant.com
Old 03-04-2008, 05:29 PM

Default BG 2 port + Regulator/BG280 Pump

I have had these on my car for years. Just in the last year though my Fuel pressure has been acting crazy and won't adjust. For awhile, when drive it would drop to zero then to 12 psi , jumping around, and would have to pull over because the motor quit running when its at zero. Lately though it is reading 14 psi and stays there. I try to adjust at the regulator the pressure does not change.

I don't have any leaks though.

I have 10an from cell to reg and 6an's to the carb.

I also think I am going to switch to something else. The one time I called BG, they
said I probably had a dirty filter. New filter did not change anything.

Any suggestions? Should I go with magnaflow? Holly? others?

462 JBP/ #16 d-ports/3900#'s
7.42 @ 91mph 1/8th /1.60 60'