The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 04-04-2003, 11:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Is there a torque spec for the body mount bolts on a 69 GTO. Searching thru the archives I came up with every thing from 35lb ft on the core mounts to 135lbs of air and let er rip with an impact. Most answers were from 60 to 85lb ft. Is there a factory spec? Just got my kit in from Perf Years. Hopefully over the next few days I can get this done. Thanks,
David

http://kurtspontiac.homestead.com/DavidJones69GTO.html

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 04-04-2003, 11:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Is there a torque spec for the body mount bolts on a 69 GTO. Searching thru the archives I came up with every thing from 35lb ft on the core mounts to 135lbs of air and let er rip with an impact. Most answers were from 60 to 85lb ft. Is there a factory spec? Just got my kit in from Perf Years. Hopefully over the next few days I can get this done. Thanks,
David

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 04-04-2003, 11:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The 1969 Pontiac Service Manual doesn't list the A- and G-body specs but does list 25-40 LB FT for the Full-size Pontiacs.

Old 04-05-2003, 07:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We're havin' fun now! Jacked up the drivers side and coming from the rear started taking out bolts. First two just about fell out. Really. I was amazed. The third, up under the door had a surprise. The cushion under the bolt head was made up of 1/2" of body mount and 6 or 8 doughnuts cut out of old inner tubes. Next one up by the drivers left foot was suffering from a broken free weld nut. Already. I've managed to drill the head off of the bolt. I think I'm going to treat it like a trailer hitch and "fishwire" a bolt and heavy washer over into the hole and run a nut up from the bottom. Any ideas?

Old 04-11-2003, 06:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Finally through last night. I don't recommend body mounts as a job for the clean freaks among us. Now the proud owner of a Harbor Freight electric impact.

Old 04-11-2003, 08:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Have used a ratchetting 1/2" drive breakover for this operation for many years. When putting bolts back in, use antiseaze on them & torque them to 40lbs.

Replacement body mount bolts...
McMaster-Carr has correct length 5/8" washer head bolts, but one will have to chuck in lathe & put a point on them, if you are really picky. Otherwise best place to get factory bolts is out of solid SW partcars.

Old 04-11-2003, 12:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I was thankfully able to reuse most of my original bolts. Seems the bolts supplied in the PY kit bottomed out into the floor before they tightened. I ended up with an amazing collection of nearly to completely rusted out washers and rubber that looked from fairly good thru crumbling up to some rubber inner tube cut in round circles and stacked up under a washer. Made a depressing pile in the floor.

[This message was edited by David Jones on April 11, 2003 at 04:41 PM.]