Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 10-18-2011, 01:49 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Spring Tx

Ive been told there a engine builder over there that specializes in pontiac motors . his name is Herb phone 281 546 6232 .He builds out of a home shop. Any you locals know of him?

Old 10-18-2011, 02:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Never heard of him and I've lived in Spring for 25 years.
Griggs Performance Engines is in Spring and I've known Tim and his family for over twenty years. He is very meticulous and builds a quality product, mainly chevys.
However, on my last engine build I went with Owens Racing in Pearland. They have done many pontiac engines and one of the techs is a pontiac guy, which is a plus when it comes to attention to detail.

Old 10-18-2011, 02:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If he was good, or had Pontiac's, most likely Larry would know or at else heard of him.

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100
Old 10-18-2011, 02:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Locally I recommend Owens in Pearland or Westside Machine on Emnora, off the Katy Freeway.

2008 GMC Sierra Denali 2WD Crew, L92 6L80E, Silver w/ Ebony guts, 14.26 @ 98
Old 10-19-2011, 08:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My friend and co-worker has a motor over there now. Has been there for a long long time. Lots of excuses and BS. Do yourself a favor and go with someone else. If I ever do another motor or work on the one I have, I will be contacting Screamingchief on this forum which I believe is in Austin.

1971 Base Firebird..505ci IA 2A Round port E-heads by Butler 348 cfm.. Comp street SR 266/272@.050 Victor intake/Quick Fuel Q950. 1 7/8" Dougs headers..3" mandrel bent exhaust with Hooker Max Flow mufflers, T-350 well built with 10" 4000 stall nitrous Continental converter..3.73 posi . Caltracs and 10" slicks. Belt driven water pump, alternator, Pwr steering and brakes,Flex fan. 11:1compression, straight 93 octane pump fuel. 10.35 @ 129.88 with 1.45 60ft N/A at 3700lbs race weight.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by torqjunki View Post
My friend and co-worker has a motor over there now. Has been there for a long long time. Lots of excuses and BS. Do yourself a favor and go with someone else. If I ever do another motor or work on the one I have, I will be contacting Screamingchief on this forum which I believe is in Austin.
Kinda figured as much, Dave.

From what I gathered yesterday during a quick search o' the web, lots of "big talk" from "Herb". Loud mouths and braggarts can rarely back up what they brag about . . .

Old 10-19-2011, 10:22 AM

Competition Automotive Machine of 4130 Spring Stuebner Rd, Spring, TX. Phone: 281-350-4587 Owner Willard Buff
Did a great job on my '61, '65 and '66 motors. I have a '63 in his shop currently-give him a call

Old 10-19-2011, 10:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtogoat View Post
Competition Automotive Machine of 4130 Spring Stuebner Rd, Spring, TX. Phone: 281-350-4587 Owner Willard Buff
Did a great job on my '61, '65 and '66 motors. I have a '63 in his shop currently-give him a call
Man, that name sounds VERY familiar, Terry. It's from WAY in the past, but familiar nonetheless.

Good to know that there's another good Pontiac machinist in the area!

Old 10-19-2011, 10:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Lloyd......there was at one time a "custom automotive machine" down the road from Fahrman's on Pinemont.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Navarro View Post
Lloyd......there was at one time a "custom automotive machine" down the road from Fahrman's on Pinemont.
Yep - recall that now that you mention it, Larry. They were BIG into Cleveland Fords back in the day, IIRC.

I don't recall the Willard Buff name being associated with them at that time, though?

Old 10-19-2011, 11:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've been over to Buff's place several times (C.A.M) I don't think there is too much going on there other than odd jobs. Machines look like antiques and no money going into them. Would be scared to ask for precision machine work there. They are good mechanics, and know a lot about blown boat motors, drag motors etc.

1971 Base Firebird..505ci IA 2A Round port E-heads by Butler 348 cfm.. Comp street SR 266/272@.050 Victor intake/Quick Fuel Q950. 1 7/8" Dougs headers..3" mandrel bent exhaust with Hooker Max Flow mufflers, T-350 well built with 10" 4000 stall nitrous Continental converter..3.73 posi . Caltracs and 10" slicks. Belt driven water pump, alternator, Pwr steering and brakes,Flex fan. 11:1compression, straight 93 octane pump fuel. 10.35 @ 129.88 with 1.45 60ft N/A at 3700lbs race weight.
Old 10-20-2011, 12:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I appreciate the kind words guys,but sorry to say I'm not a machinist,nor do I have a machine shop at my disposal,I'm mostly just a wrench turner like many of ya'll,nothing more,nothing less.

I mean yeah sure I was an ASE master tech for over 15 years,and sure I've worked in all the various levels of the auto repair industry (dealerships,independant shops,the big chain "retail" shops,as well as both dealership & retail auto parts),but I'll make it clear right here & now that I've never once tried to suggest to anyone that I am/were a machinist/engine builder.

Sure I've built some engines,but who here has'nt?

And yeah,some were my own,and some were for others.

Anyhow,lately I've been getting most all my machine work done @ a place here in town called the Cylinder Head Shop (CHS/Dave),these days they are about the only place in town that I'd trust too,they're out on FM 620 on the NW side of town,and I'm in north central Austin.

They (CHS) also do a lotta Steve C's engine work too,which means they also probably do some work for JD (punisher #1) as well.

I also had Dennis @ Precision Engine Svc. off Reinli st. do 455 a H-O build for me years & years ago for my '72 WW5 GTO,but I have'nt been there recently,and from what I've heard they mostly only do import stuff nowadays.

No doubt there may indeed be some other decent machine shops/engine builders around Austin now that I have'nt used nor mentioned here,but I mostly stick with the places that I know & trust.

Also more than a few local machine shops have gone the way of the dodo too.

Yeah,I used to do quite a bit of sidework like that for others in the past,but since I had a major hernia that required several hours of surgery and like 3 layers of nylon mesh to fix,I've seriously cut back on doing that sorta side work for others,to the point of not really doing any sidework anymore,so lately I just take my sweet @ss time working on my own projects around here,as I have 3 "full-on" projects of my own to deal with right now.

When I get my 3 projects mostly finished,well then I'd probably consider taking on something else to make a few $$$ on the side,but right now I dont even really have room around here to do that sorta thing.

I actually got some 400 cid blocks/cranks and stuff that I gotta sell off to free up some more room around here,I'm getting real tired of tripping over $#!t around here.

Bret P.

In the meantime,check out the cars HERE.

Old 10-20-2011, 08:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Lloyd, the guy who owned that place was Jeff Wahlburg. He was building alot of sprint car engines back in the 80's.

Old 10-20-2011, 09:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

"They (CHS) also do a lotta Steve C's engine work too,which means they also probably do some work for JD (punisher #1) as well."

Yes, over the years Dave at CHS (512-331-1110) has done all seven or so differant engine combinations for me and although John Dinkel is a ASE master tech for the most part Dave has done all the machine work and assembly on his engines. He does all the machine work in house except for crankshaft repairs. Also over the years he has overseen all my engine dyno sessions at various locations.

Note, although he is very good at the work he does he at times can be a grouchy guy to deal with. He is not always "Mr personality" I mean no harm by that as some of us are not. The shop although well equipped sometimes could use a cleaning with broom and it looks crowded because of lack of space. Although I will point out that his engine assembly area is kept clean, and he is meticulous in details regarding that. I bring this up because to many first impressions of a shop facility are important to them. And the quality does not come cheap.

Sponsor of the world's fastest Pontiac powered Ford Fairmont (engine)
5.14 at 140 mph (1/8 mile) , true 10.5 tire, stock type suspension
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDoJnIP3HgE
Old 10-20-2011, 09:57 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C. View Post
Note, although he is very good at the work he does he at times can be a grouchy guy to deal with. He is not always "Mr personality" I mean no harm by that as some of us are not.

Although I will point out that his engine assembly area is kept clean, and he is meticulous in details regarding that. I bring this up because to many first impressions of a shop facility are important to them. And the quality does not come cheap.

Dave isn't Mr Personality? Say it isn't so!

I totally agree with both of these. Dave's a little abrasive but that man can build a motor. I tortured my street / strip motor for several years then when it was time for a refresh I took it to someone closer. The bores were all still spot on and all we had to do was hone. Dave does good work.

Old 10-20-2011, 10:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've had good luck with G&G in Tomball on multiple motors-my previous motors, pump gas motor IA2 motor. Larry had some bad luck with them.

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
Old 10-20-2011, 12:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Steve,I guess I never really talked to either you or JD about who specifically was doing the machine work for JD's engines,I knew in the past that you had Dave @ CHS doing yours,so I guess I must've just assumed JD did too,I had no idea he had access to that sorta equipment to do that kinda work on his own,though I knew he had the skills to do that sorta work.

Yeah,I also learned how to use most all of the common engine rebuilding machines when I was in school getting my automotive tech degree,so I could probably do that sorta thing if I absolutely had to,and had access to the equipment,but I never really got to use those skills after getting outta school,as I never really had access to the machines after that point,as most all the dealerships & auto service shops I've worked @ farm out all their machine work,so for sure those skills would be a bit rusty these days.

Most all the actual machine work I've done in the past was factory work,mostly making parts for pellet guns and such when I was working for Benjamin/Sheridan back up in Wisc.

Anyhow,yeah I guess JD would definitely be worth talking to if someone here were interested in finding someone to get this sorta work done as well,as there is no doubt JD knows what he's doing too.

I may need to talk to JD some time coming up about maybe getting some welding work done to the 8.5" rear end housing for my '72 bird,i'm looking to get the tubes welded to the center section and convert the spring perches over to the HD Cal-Trac style perches (thanks Yancy) and such.

Yeah,Dave @ CHS may rub some folks the wrong way at first,but I've always been fine with him,I like the fact that he'll tell it exactly like he sees it,that's a quality I respect,I dont need a machinist that's gonna tell what I wannna hear just because he wants my $$$ and then show me the door,I want a machinist who's gonna give me my $$$ worth,even if it costs me more to do something the way it needs to be done for the best results.

Catch Dave when he's in a good mood and is'nt busy and he'll sit around and shoot the $#!t all you want,but catch him when he's busy and in a dour mood,and he'll cut you right off and let you know that he's got other more important things to do,which is fine by me really,I can be the same way myself,so I cant fault someone for something that I myself am guilty of.

Yeah,I've been dealing with Dave since way back when CHS was over on Burnet rd. across from Coca-Cola.

Hey Joe,is'nt Yancy having another local guy build his latest motor,I recall him telling me who it was,but I just cant remember the guys name?

If Yancy trusts that fella to do his engine work,he would probably be worth talking to as well.

Anyhow,I guess that's enough for now.

Bret P.

In the meantime,check out the cars HERE.

Old 10-20-2011, 12:32 PM

Dave was talking about my dealings with Herb. Feel free to PM me. I wont put any details public until I have my motor in my car. Hopefully it runs like a scalded dog and I will forget all about the 10 month long and counting wait on it.

Old 10-20-2011, 02:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_craze View Post
Dave was talking about my dealings with Herb. Feel free to PM me. I wont put any details public until I have my motor in my car. Hopefully it runs like a scalded dog and I will forget all about the 10 month long and counting wait on it.

Old 10-20-2011, 02:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Navarro View Post
Lloyd, the guy who owned that place was Jeff Wahlburg. He was building alot of sprint car engines back in the 80's.
That's right. Now I recall Jeff was the owner Thanks, Larry.