Old 09-26-2009, 02:08 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Quick PHS question

Does anyone know if it is possible for me to figure out a general idea on how many of my car were made? It is a '66 post coupe 4-speed, 389 4-bbl. I already know how many post coupes were made that year, I'm trying to get a little more specific than that. Thanks.

Old 09-26-2009, 09:12 PM

My understanding is that you can find out how many of each body style (hardtop, post, convertible) were made and how many 4bbl and tri powers were made in total. I dont think that it is broken down in any more detail than that. At least I havent heard of any more detailed break downs.

Old 09-26-2009, 09:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You can't,that info is not available. In 66 GTO,I would find the % fof 4 speeds,to total transmissions(cars). Next,I would find % 4b vs 3x2 cars,include A.I.R.(Freemont).Coupe production +=10,363, next % of 4b to total manual trans(A.I.R.!)
Last,# of coupes x that percentage in step 2. That's how I would take an educated guess. Larry B.

Old 09-27-2009, 01:53 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I'll try your logic bigpop however I don't know how to join the post coupe cars to 4 speeds. I just figured it might be easier, for some reason the more rare cars usually get documented better. Seems like when that is the case the person who has the car can usually say right down to the color combo how many of that car were made. I'm just curious.

Old 09-27-2009, 08:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyyy View Post
Seems like when that is the case the person who has the car can usually say right down to the color combo how many of that car were made. I'm just curious.
Cody - I don't mean to be harsh, but when you see those guys it's usually just conjecture anyway. Every car is unique when you break it down far enough (ie, "the only red/grey 2006 Vibe owned by a left hander in Troy, Michigan", etc).

Really the only ones that can be trusted are the cars were someone with access to the records took the time to go through the them one by one and count a particular option (like the Swiss Cheese cars, the Super Duty Lemans coupes and wagons, etc). Fred Simmonds went through tens of thousands of invoices to do that.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 09-27-2009 at 08:40 AM.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Keith is right, and it is impossible to find out,unless Jim Mattison hires someone to go through hundreds of thousands records,which have to be interpretted.Not going to happen.

Rarity counts in a few ways,resale,$ ad on,uniqueness,etc,but, rare doesn't mean desirable!! Any one who quotes "his is one of" ,is BS'ing you,unless it's a car Keith mentions,that Fred Simmonds researched.

I thought I explained how to get close above? On the 4b ,manual thingy.

Larry B.

Old 09-27-2009, 12:17 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Well I got the percents of the manual and auto transmissions, and tripowers to 4-bbls, however even then there are two different manual transmissions for this year which would probably be impossible to break down further.
I don't know how to combine those numbers into how many of each car were ordered to what, that's what I want to know. I also don't know how many AIR cars were made, my PHS only gives a breakdown of manual-auto, hardtop-convertible-coupe, and 3x2-4bbl.
Here's what I do know:
-About 63% of cars were manual transmission (3 speed and 4 speed, can't go further than that)
-About 37% were automatics.
-About 20% of total cars were tripowers.
-About 80% were 4-bbls.
-About 11% of total cars were sport coupes.
-About 76% of total cars were hardtops.
-About 13% of total cars were convertibles.
That's all I can come up with, how to tell what car came with what transmission or motor I don't know how to get that info.

Old 09-28-2009, 05:14 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Just doing some rough math, it figures to about 5,000 cars so equipped. I have one that was built this way, but I switched it to tri-power. Unless you start figuring in every option the car does or doesn't have & color etc. you're not going to get into any great class of rarity. I always just say that my '66 sport coupe is the rarest model of the best selling muscle car ever.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000862.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	182760  

Old 09-28-2009, 06:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Satyr1966 is correct. I mentioned you won't get it above,unless you volunteer to go through the records free!!! You can get a ball park only.that's the best you are going to get.

I have a 65 GTO 3x2 4 sp. convertible,and always wondered.You rarely see real ones for sale,I haven't in 23years in the hobby.Not the"tribute" cars,tripower add-ons,from the factory that way. I recall doing a rough calculation years ago,and got about 2200. Larry B.

Old 09-29-2009, 02:12 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks, like I said, I'm just curious to see how many 4 speed post coupes there were. I knew I probably couldn't break it down farther. I'm pretty sure this car is probably one of only a few ordered in Mission Beige (yuck IMO). This car has like 7 or so options, most of which had to be ordered basically, like deluxe seat belts.