Old 03-19-2007, 11:02 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Testing Temp Senders

My car was running on the warm side (210) even after I tried most of the tricks read here including the water pump divider plate, which were all great suggestions and none of which should be overlooked. I read a post about inaccurrate aftermarket temp senders from Napa and others. I can't find the post but, a member suggested Lectric Limited. I decided to buy one from LL and test some other sensors I had while using my stock temp gauge from an article I read. I'm not trying to take credit for the article, but here is an overview from the article for your benefit.
I bought a cheap hotplate, put next to car on a stand and then heated a water/antifreeze bath. Made a bracket I could mount the sender in. I used a battery charger style clamp to clamp around the sender and connected that back to chassis Gnd. I extended the signal wire from the car to sender. I used a multimeter with T/C attachment (1% claimed accuracy) and a good thermomenter to measure bath. I took measurements and comparisons at 185 and 215deg. The following results were seen on my stock temp gauge.
The new sender I had in the car (unknown origin) read 15 & 25 deg. too high respectively!
The sender from Napa read 13deg & 13deg to high respectively.
The sender from Lectric Limted was spot on in both cases.
Conclusion: I calculated my car was actually running at 192 when the gauge read 210, big difference. I also have the peace of mind and a temp sender that will ensure my gauge readings are accurate. I can't thank that member enough for recommending a Lectric Limited sender.

Lectric Limited, Inc
708-563-0400

"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice" RUSH (Freewill)
Old 03-28-2007, 08:11 PM

I wonder if the multimeter with 1% claimed accuracy is 1% of total range, which might be something like 0 - 1800 F. There's 18 degrees right there. Did the multimeter read the same as the thermometer?

Old 03-29-2007, 11:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I ordered mine the other day from LL, after reading Pete Serio's advice (always worthwhile). I had put on an AC Delco with the round top connetion (not the single spade) - I didn't run the car with it, but I'm sure it would have been out of spec from the word go...score another for these boards!

400 + .020, decked to .005
SD Performance 240+CFM 670 heads
RARE HO/RA manifolds
RARE 2.5" Exhaust (18" Magnaflows)
SD "Stump Puller" HR cam (230/236, 112LSA, 107.5 ICL)
PRW stainless 1.52 roller rockers
Forged TRW slugs
SCAT H-Beam forged rods
Old 03-29-2007, 11:53 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I know what your saying but, the spec.s from my multimeter stated something like within this range, the accuracy is 1% of reading and within this range, the accuracy is 2%. In my experience, T/Cs are pretty darn accurate. Typically T/C spec.s state a 1-2 deg of accuracy actual reading. RTDs are even more accurate but I have not seen an RTD attachment for a multimeter. Infrared are somwhat less accurate and they typically give an accuracy rating of percentage within a given range.

How do you actually confirm your measuring device is accurate? I know, it's perplexing. In my case, I did not trust my infrared readings. How do I know the coolant flowing past my sender located in the head is at the same temp as the outside surface I was measuring on the head, manifold? What I preferred was to have a measuring device in the same bath as my temp sender so at least I know that the temp should be the same.

What really made me feel most confident is, yes, my T/C reading matched that of my thermometer and with the correct sender, my gage matched my measuring devices.

"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice" RUSH (Freewill)
Old 03-29-2007, 02:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Good stuff!

Wonder if I can get a replacement for my autometer temp sender from LL. It has been acting funky.

Old 03-29-2007, 03:40 PM

RASK; Sounds like you've been doing a lot of the same stuff I have recently. I used my camping stove though, so I didn't have to go out and get a hotplate. I also used cooking oil, so that I could heat the stuff as high as I wanted, to see if the variation was linear in the different readings, as temps rose out of sight. My reference instrument is a decent quality digital therm. (The only way to be sure is to have an instrument that is traceable to the national bureau of standards; but a decent quality device should suffice for what we're doing). I got about the same results as you: The 2 gauges I checked (mechanical), were both way off; the best one reading 'only' 25 degrees too high. I've learned that cheap aftermarket gauges are commonly 25 dgrees and more off target. I finally bought a Dakota Digital for my '73 TA (which by the way, sounds like yours: Buc. Red, 4-spd., black int.) But I've always had the intention of also getting the factory gauge back to reading somewhat accurately. I think I'll look into the LL sender. Thanks for posting your results and informing us all!....diddly

Old 08-28-2007, 07:18 AM

I know this thread is somewhat old but I was wondering the same thing as WEBFOOT regarding using this temperture sender with aftermarket gauges. I have an Autometer temperature gauge that I suspect is reading high. Has anyone used the Lectric Limted tempertaure sender with an aftermarket gauge??

Old 08-28-2007, 11:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

GM also changed the reference resistance around 80-81 for temp senders.A 78 sensor in an 81 car wil show WAY hot!

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
Old 08-28-2007, 01:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Testing Temp Senders for A body cars from the 1960s with gauges

I've done lots of tests on all kinds of sending units as it relates to the gauges I work on. Bottom line is if you have a car made in the 1960s, a GTO or a Lemans, The sender that works the best is an original GM part that is made out of brass & will read around it's inner edge: star, dot AC-MADE IN U.S.A. - 12 VOLT, dot. If you are missing the original sender, in my opinion the replacement made by Lectric Limited is 99.9 perfect & will read just as good as a vintage GM part. The modern replacement GM sending unit they sell as part number: 12334869, will make your dash gauge read too hot, EVERY TIME.

Don't ask me why an aftermarket maker, (LL) of reproduction parts can get it right when GM can't.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TestingCoolantSenders.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	103002   Click image for larger version

Name:	TestingCoolantSenders1.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	103003   Click image for larger version

Name:	TestingCoolantSenders2.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	103004   Click image for larger version

Name:	1966_GTO_Rally_Gauges_incar.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	103005  

Old 08-28-2007, 09:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by RASK
I know what your saying but, the spec.s from my multimeter stated something like within this range, the accuracy is 1% of reading and within this range, the accuracy is 2%. In my experience, T/Cs are pretty darn accurate. Typically T/C spec.s state a 1-2 deg of accuracy actual reading. RTDs are even more accurate but I have not seen an RTD attachment for a multimeter. Infrared are somwhat less accurate and they typically give an accuracy rating of percentage within a given range.

How do you actually confirm your measuring device is accurate? I know, it's perplexing. In my case, I did not trust my infrared readings. How do I know the coolant flowing past my sender located in the head is at the same temp as the outside surface I was measuring on the head, manifold? What I preferred was to have a measuring device in the same bath as my temp sender so at least I know that the temp should be the same.

What really made me feel most confident is, yes, my T/C reading matched that of my thermometer and with the correct sender, my gage matched my measuring devices.

Ah i do a quick check on my digital thremometers and IR gun with ice water and boiling water.
those 2 will be within a deg or 2 of freezing and boiling.
be sure and put some salt in the icewater.

Old 08-28-2007, 09:32 PM
Senior Chief

Now will this sending unit from Lectric Limited work for non-Rally
Guage Dashes too ? (The Red Idiot Light). Because the one from Napa reads too Hot all the time. Thanks...

Old 08-29-2007, 07:27 AM
Senior Chief

Anybody ?