Old 11-29-2010, 01:56 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 72 TEMP SEND..??

..Aight..Since I cant find a ...3 Pronge temp send for my car..whats the ALTERNATIVE to make it still work and hook up to ..3 pronge female wiring harness..?? Single pronge.?? 2 pronge..??

Old 11-29-2010, 11:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

single, put it in the intake for best results, Ill let the others on here tell you which model to buy,( resistance etc) BUT I will say that temp gauge sensors were originally designed to check the DYNAMIC average water temp before the thermostat. Always use an IR gun on your intake to verfify your sender is in the ballpark.

Old 11-29-2010, 11:53 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulabruce View Post
single, put it in the intake for best results, Ill let the others on here tell you which model to buy,( resistance etc) BUT I will say that temp gauge sensors were originally designed to check the DYNAMIC average water temp before the thermostat. Always use an IR gun on your intake to verfify your sender is in the ballpark.
Well??I wanna stay with the same location since thats where the wiring harness is....anyone know what the...1..Lead coming out of the 3 pronge harness to USE for a ..Single pronge..??

Old 11-29-2010, 12:09 PM

I asked the M&H guys about this on a harness I had. I bought the extension harness that goes to the sensor that is mounted in the head on the drivers side for the temp gauge. The extension harness leaves the 3-pronged connector available so that you have both of them hooked up. They said that the 3-pronged sensor was also part of the TCS system. Here is a pic of the extension harness, it looks like the single wire on the bottom is what goes to the other sensor, so that's the one you should use. I haven't received my harness yet, but here is a pic of it from their web site.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	15585.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	9.6 KB
ID:	226232  

Old 11-29-2010, 12:45 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphc4 View Post
I asked the M&H guys about this on a harness I had. I bought the extension harness that goes to the sensor that is mounted in the head on the drivers side for the temp gauge. The extension harness leaves the 3-pronged connector available so that you have both of them hooked up. They said that the 3-pronged sensor was also part of the TCS system. Here is a pic of the extension harness, it looks like the single wire on the bottom is what goes to the other sensor, so that's the one you should use. I haven't received my harness yet, but here is a pic of it from their web site.
..Thanks..When yah get the harness could yah tell me where the SINGLE LEAD attaches to the 3..leads..I dont wanna have any extra wires..i want it to look stock..and what SENSOR do you have..??part #..??

Old 11-29-2010, 01:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have at least two three pronged temp sensors. They look the same as each other. One used and one like new. Any interest in one of them? If so I can post some pctures later.

1966 Ford F250 4x4 White 4-speed - San Jose plant
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/11...-f250-4x4.html
1971 Trans Am White/Blue 4-speed limited options - Norwood plant
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=757496
Old 11-29-2010, 11:42 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

.well..?? Visually it looks to be correct..I sent you a PM...

Old 11-29-2010, 11:50 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I cant seem to find an old AC part#'s on the NET..though..anyone have a link or somethin..??

Old 12-03-2010, 05:00 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

" The EAGLE has LANDED "..Got the sender today...Thanks alot..

Old 12-03-2010, 06:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

On the 72's the temp sender is a single terminal, button head, sender mounted on the driver's side cylinder head. This is a different location than was used on the 70 and 71 cars which had them mounted on the intake.

Here is a good thread on the exact temp sender unit you need and some tests I did on the repro units on page 2. Turned out that the $6 Wells #TU5 sender was the best, next to a vintage original sender. The current Delco replacements were completely inaccurate as were the LectricLimited units:

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...ht=temp+sender

The three prong unit is the TCS sender that is on the pass side head. It is not designed or calibrated for the gauge and I doubt it will read correctly since it pretty much functions as a temperature-dependant on-off switch for the TCS system.

By the way, don't use teflon tape as it alters the ground resistance to the cylinder head from the sender.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TAvalvecovers027.jpg
Views:	492
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	226782   Click image for larger version

Name:	tcsNOS.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	226783   Click image for larger version

Name:	TCS head location.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	226784   Click image for larger version

Name:	temp sender 3.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	226785  

Last edited by njsteve; 12-03-2010 at 07:15 PM.
Old 12-04-2010, 05:46 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

...So..?? Whattayah tryin to say..??

Old 12-04-2010, 08:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666 the legend View Post
...So..?? Whattayah tryin to say..??
What am I tryin to say is that you seem to be referring to the passenger side location between the 6 and 8 spark plugs (three prong sender) as the temp sender location. It is not. That was the emission control TCS sender location. The temp sender (one terminal) goes in the drivers side cyl head between the 1 and 3 spark plugs.

I was trying to give you info on where to get an accurate, single wire sender unit for less than the price of a cup of coffee, after all the searching I did to find one that didn't falsely tell me my car was overheating when it was barely warmed up.

Do you have the single green wire coming off the alternator wiring section of your engine harness? That is the temp sender lead that goes to the sender between the 1 and 3 spark plugs and feeds the signal to the gauge in the dash.

Last edited by njsteve; 12-04-2010 at 08:25 AM.
Old 12-04-2010, 02:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by njsteve View Post
What am I tryin to say is that you seem to be referring to the passenger side location between the 6 and 8 spark plugs (three prong sender) as the temp sender location. It is not. That was the emission control TCS sender location. The temp sender (one terminal) goes in the drivers side cyl head between the 1 and 3 spark plugs.

I was trying to give you info on where to get an accurate, single wire sender unit for less than the price of a cup of coffee, after all the searching I did to find one that didn't falsely tell me my car was overheating when it was barely warmed up.

Do you have the single green wire coming off the alternator wiring section of your engine harness? That is the temp sender lead that goes to the sender between the 1 and 3 spark plugs and feeds the signal to the gauge in the dash.
..Oh okay..I will have to look at my harness for that wire..later on today..These cars are Complicated...lol..

Old 12-04-2010, 07:59 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Just curious?? iwas on e-bay and found this TEMP SEND that said it was for cars with GAUGES ONLY and is good for 70-78..? or somethin like that..Will this work..If not..Whats the one at AUTOZONE you were talkin bout..?? Part #..?? or just ask the idiots behind the counter for TEMP SEND for a 72 Pontiac..??

Old 12-04-2010, 08:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ask them for a Wells part number TU-5. That is the correct sender. The ones on eBay are pretty much all the same incorrectly calibrated "one size fits all" pieces of crap they sell to enthusiasts thinking we will never know the difference. But once you install them and then see your gauge reading 210 when it is actually 170 degrees water temperature, you will get as mad as the rest of us.

The Wells TU5 is the most accurate one I tested other than finding a vintage 1970s Delco sender. Stay away from the newer Delco senders as they are completely inaccurate. See here: http://www.sssacc.org/Tips/Temperature_Sending_Unit.doc.
Or here (where they used my chart!). http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?p=1486927

It seems like all the modern produced senders other than Wells are made by the same company who has the resistance settings all wrong, leading to the too-high temp gauge syndrome.

Last edited by njsteve; 12-04-2010 at 09:06 PM.
Old 07-03-2011, 02:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Auto Zone Temp Sender

The autozone sender is made by Wells; it is part # TU5.

Another one I have had good luck with is sold by CarQuest. It is part # 53-7719.

In my tests both of the above senders were very, very close to the old AC Delco # 1513321.

In a case where you have a laser gun and your gauge still reads 7 to 10 degrees hotter on the dial than actual, (and you have tried one or the other of the 2 above senders) try a Sorensen TSU5.

WARNING: STAY AWAY from both GM #12334869 AND NAPA # TS6469SB. Both of these have low resistance and will cause your dash display to read anywhere from 10 to 20 degrees higher indicated temps than actual. (Verify with a laser gun.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666 the legend View Post
Just curious?? iwas on e-bay and found this TEMP SEND that said it was for cars with GAUGES ONLY and is good for 70-78..? or somethin like that..Will this work..If not..Whats the one at AUTOZONE you were talkin bout..?? Part #..?? or just ask the idiots behind the counter for TEMP SEND for a 72 Pontiac..??

Last edited by Peter Serio; 07-03-2011 at 02:32 PM. Reason: added one line
Old 07-04-2011, 10:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

On ebay, a seller's car fitmet chart says the Wells TU5 won't work on 70s Firebirds with guages. Sure looks like the right part, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Serio View Post
The autozone sender is made by Wells; it is part # TU5.

Another one I have had good luck with is sold by CarQuest. It is part # 53-7719.

In my tests both of the above senders were very, very close to the old AC Delco # 1513321.

In a case where you have a laser gun and your gauge still reads 7 to 10 degrees hotter on the dial than actual, (and you have tried one or the other of the 2 above senders) try a Sorensen TSU5.

WARNING: STAY AWAY from both GM #12334869 AND NAPA # TS6469SB. Both of these have low resistance and will cause your dash display to read anywhere from 10 to 20 degrees higher indicated temps than actual. (Verify with a laser gun.)

Old 07-04-2011, 04:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71 T/A View Post
On ebay, a seller's car fitmet chart says the Wells TU5 won't work on 70s Firebirds with guages. Sure looks like the right part, though.
He's wrong.

Here is my original testing in the old thread. You can see the Wells TU5 was the closest specs to the original, old sending unit.

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...=632070&page=2

Old 07-04-2011, 06:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by njsteve View Post
He's wrong.

Here is my original testing in the old thread. You can see the Wells TU5 was the closest specs to the original, old sending unit.

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...=632070&page=2
Steve is correct, I have now tested a TU 5 with a 1970 set of gauges, and a 72, its very close.

Old 12-04-2010, 10:14 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

..WELLS TU-5 it is then.....Thanks alot steve.....I like learning from your MISTAKES...lol.......seriously though..Thanks..