Old 07-01-2007, 11:27 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Talking The new 68 GP

Well as most of you know I have been working on the old 68 GP I have for it seems like forever. Well, I was getting frustrated as the car is very rusty. Both rear quarters, trunk floor and Frame were in need of allot of work. Well I was looking for a parts car and seen the new car on e-bay.

I owe allot of thanks to Les Iden for helping me decide on buying the new car. I also owe my parents allot of thanks as they drove from Milwaukee, WI to LA to pick up the car.

They got home yesterday and the fun was on. We messed with the car awhile and it seemed to want to run. Well after replacing some old rubber fuel lines and a new filter it started and ran good. Smokes a little but after sitting for I don't know how long (last tags were in 94) I think it is good. Put some trans fluid in and that started to pull in gear. After putting some fluid in the brakes and bleeding them, we still could not get good pedal. Well we found one leaking wheel cylinder. Went to the rear end I took out of my GP and got a good wheel cylinder and them are working good now also. So went to take the old girl for a ride around the block and started out of the drive way and there was a vibration and rubbing sound. Well a bad trans mount and bent cross member mounts on the frame look to be the problem. Well now I need to get fixed before I try another ride.

I am going to be parting out the old GP I had as soon as I figure out exactly what this new car needs so watch the classifieds if you are in need of parts. And here are a few pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 010s.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	96497   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 008s.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	96496   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 007s.JPG
Views:	187
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	96495  

Old 07-02-2007, 11:29 PM

you stole les's car!

seriously that's a good looking prix. i just redid a set of yellow rally 2's for my 65 that would have looked good on that car as is.

got any interior shots of it?

428 car or 400?

i'd keep the prix specific parts unless you already have a stash, you never know when you'll need them.

enjoy it.

mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 07-03-2007, 12:19 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

LOL, the car is the same color as Les'. I plan on keeping as much as I can off the old car. I figure these cars are only going to get harder to find and the parts are going to be the same. I will post some pics of the interior tomorrow. It is pretty much toast so the old car will be a big help in that. The car is a 400 car, it has a/c and power windows and I can't see much else. Pat

Old 07-03-2007, 11:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Arrow "New" 68 GP owner............

Hi Pat,

Looks like you are making good progress in getting that grand ol' car back on the highway.

Should I sign you up now for next year's summer tour ?

Les

'65 Buick Sport Wagon Custom, 340, T350, 3:23
'66 GTO Post/468, 700R4, 3.31 (Mike's as of 9-16)
'68 Grand Prix/455, dual AFBs, T400, 2:93 posi (sold)
'72 TA tribute/461, T400, 3.08, (Russ's as of 9-16)
'97 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Turbo, Konis, 5 speed
'09 Torrent GXP, nav, Sun & Sound pkg., Bilsteins
Old 07-03-2007, 05:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Les, sign me up.

This thing is going to be a blast. Got to get a few things figured out and make a game plan. I was thinking I never cared for skirts on a car, until I seen this car in person. I don't know maybe I am growing up! I think they are going to stay. The plan I had for the old car is gone, and now I am starting fresh. Pat

Old 07-03-2007, 07:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Question Skirts yes/no...........

Pat,

I went thru the same "skirts or no skirts" decision; immediately removing them when I got the car home, thinking that they were too "low rider" . Sharren liked it better with them on . Then I noticed that they are a vital part of the big "B" body's style lines, which are interuppted when you remove the skirts. Plus the make the ultimate statement when flying thru the 1/4 mile .

Les
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PICT0004.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	146.1 KB
ID:	96627  

Old 07-03-2007, 11:10 PM

les, the skirts look "right" on your car they don't on other years to my eye tho.

so what's this "tour" your talking about? and what g/p club do you belong to?

mike

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 07-04-2007, 01:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up GP Chapter tours..........

Mike,

You are right about skirts not adding to every car's lines. And more rear tire/wheel exposure enhances certain body shapes.

The tour I was referring to is the POCI GP Chapter's cross country trek that sometimes coincides w/ the POCI Nats..

Our first trip w/ the GP Chapter was their 2004 Route 66 tour, which we joined in Joplin MO (they started in Pontiac IL), and then drove cross country, terminating @ Las Vegas. Around 25 cars participated, including 62 thru 2003 model GPs (GP models are not required, ALL Pontiacs are welcome). I thought we would be one of few folks that would be driving a classic Pontiac on this trip, but was pleasantly surprised when we arrived and were surrounded by 60s and 70s model GPs. There were three 4-speed 62-64 models with no a/c that made the whole trip in the July heat, with their occupants grinning like teenagers all the way .

In 2006, we met the same crowd in Rapid City SD, after they had started the GP Chapter's "Spirit Cruise" in the Chicago area, picking up members along the route. We toured the Badlands, Mt. Rushmore, and Yellowstone on our way to Seattle and dinner @ the Space Needle. Most overnights we had special coned off parking @ our motels and an instant car show formed when word spread of the Pontiacs being in town. We then drove down Hwy. 1, easily one of the best drives on this continent, to San Francisco and on to Ontario CA, where the POCI National was held. One of my fondest memories happened on this trip: driving the GP across Golden Gate Bridge in the fog .

Newly elected POCI Director Steve Fleury; great guy and owner of a sweeet 65 blk on blk GP, is the GP Chapter President and often times, the tour leader. Steve maintains an agressive pace for those that are up for it, but everyone is encouraged to proceed @ their own safe pace. Absolutely the greatest bunch of folks that I have had the pleasure to tour with. There are several tours being discussed for 08, and suggestions are welcome.

Les
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PICT0025.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	142.4 KB
ID:	96662   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0041.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	96663   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0076.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	96664   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0170.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	160.8 KB
ID:	96665   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0297.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	184.8 KB
ID:	96666  

Old 07-04-2007, 07:46 PM

Default wide tracking...

That's a great pic of the 68 going through the tree in Leggett. I can just see somebody waving you in like a plane landing on a carrier (left, left, hold it, hold it, RIGHT THERE! Good Landing...) God, I miss my 65.

Great Car!

"Not quite Prius mileage"
Old 07-04-2007, 08:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Talking Car in tree...........

Thanks Randy,

The gentleman guiding me thru the tree is newly elected POCI Director, Steve Fleury, from Dayton OH. Steve is also President of the POCI GP Chapter and frequently runs point on our tours.

Les

Last edited by wheelspin; 07-09-2007 at 02:56 PM.
Old 07-04-2007, 09:50 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Good Luck on your new GP, 68Prix!!

Les, yours is the 68 Grand Prix that keeps the rest of us going.

I got my 68 last March from board member BVR421, and haven't been done much yet.

I agree with you both on the skirts, they are missing on this GP, but my last one had them. The skirts just make the body lines flow.

Anybody got an extra pair (especially in Verdoro Green)?

I've been in POCI for 11 years now, but I really need to join the GP Chapter (of course, I am a few years away from going on the tours with my 68).

Keep those 68s rolling,
Dave

----------------------------------------------------------

2004 Grand Prix GT daily driver
1974 LeMans GT 455
Old 07-04-2007, 10:07 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Smile

Thanks Dave,
If you need any parts feel free to contact me.

As for the car, I got the transmission cross member loose and just have to think about how I want to straighten the frame brackets that hold it to the frame. It is tight down there to be heating things up. This new car looks great underneath. I am going to sand the surface rust down and put some protectant on it and give it a spray bomb job just to keep it nice. The frame looks solid and great other than these mounts being bent. After these I got a few lights that need to be looked at then I can get driving it.

Then comes the fun of tearing down the old GP and switching out all the better parts from that car to the new car.

Pat

Old 07-04-2007, 10:27 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Yeah Pat, it sure is nice to get a car from out west or down south.

I've always said "rustfree" has a whole different meaning here in the Midwest ("rustfree" here means we don't charge any extra for the rust on the car).

My GP came from Tucson, AZ, although it spent most of it's life in Salt Lake City (minor rust by our standards). I'll definitely keep you in mind for parts.

Thanks, Dave

----------------------------------------------------------

2004 Grand Prix GT daily driver
1974 LeMans GT 455
Old 07-04-2007, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Prix
Thanks Dave,
If you need any parts feel free to contact me.

As for the car, I got the transmission cross member loose and just have to think about how I want to straighten the frame brackets that hold it to the frame. It is tight down there to be heating things up.
Pat

get her up on stands and get a big pipe wrench after the mounts, mine straightened right out on the 65. check you crossmemeber to see if it's warped up in the center also. i had to straighten mine out. it came down about an inch.

mike

- Winston Churchill
Old 07-07-2007, 01:21 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

We got the mounts straightened out last night and I actually got to take a nice ride. I feel great that I got this car. It rides nice and not to many problems for being off the road so long. I will keep you all posted as things go on. Pat

Old 07-07-2007, 04:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Prix
We got the mounts straightened out last night and I actually got to take a nice ride. I feel great that I got this car. It rides nice and not to many problems for being off the road so long. I will keep you all posted as things go on. Pat
Congtrats Pat. 68 is a great year for a GP.

Old 07-09-2007, 02:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up New 68 GP in the family...............

Hey Pat,

Your Mom promised me photographic proof (video is best) of you actually driving, not pushing the new GP .

Les

Old 07-10-2007, 12:36 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Les, I have to get the water pump changed and I will have her take some good footage of that baby floating down the road.
Pat

Old 07-10-2007, 08:32 AM

Congrats on the arrival of your "new" GP!

70 Grand Prix J-Granada Gold
70 Grand Prix J-Verdoro Green (4-speed)
Old 07-12-2007, 11:57 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I got the water pump done. Now I have to change the alternator, do a tune up, and change the motor mounts. I also found it is a numbers matching car. Pat