Interior TECH Upholstery, Carpet, Dash, Headliner...

Old 03-26-2017, 04:58 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Need your honest,

candid opinion about something. Hi everyone. My '71 GTO is Tropical Lime Green and came with a factory jade green interior. It also came with a dark green vinyl roof. One of the previous owners, while having a frame off restoration done, decided to eliminate the top all together and change the interior to black. The interior/material/fabric is in very nice condition. I don't think it was ever painted green. It probably is a replacement interior. The owner before me, started reverting the interior back to the jade green. He had a new jade green headliner installed and the steering column and wheel, which had been painted black, are presently jade green again. I asked about this and he said he used lacquer thinner to dissolve the black paint, He also gave me 5 aerosol cans of a green dye. I am very undecided as to whether or not change the interior color. One minute I am all for it and then the next, want to just leave it alone. I am waiting for some parts to come in and this weekend, I had some spare time, so I decided to experiment. I removed the front door panels and arm rest. Prepared them properly and used the dye that was given me. They actually turned out real nice. I looked inside the arm rest and could see the original jade green color. This dye is a very good match. So, where do I go from here? I'm not a purists at heart, but I would like to keep things as original looking/operating as "reasonably" possible. I'm certainly going to need more dye and there is a lot more work involved to change the color back. The dash pad, front bucket seats, rear seat, rear seat panels, console and whatever else that is black , will have to be dyed. The work and added expense doesn't concern me. I just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing. I know it's my car and can do what I like with it, but it would be nice to hear the opinions of others. So please, don't spare my feelings and tell me what your thoughts are. You should also know that I'm leaning heavily towards a Sandstone vinyl roof. That should bring the colors together nicely. And, redline replacement tires. I will post 2 pics. One of the black door panel and the other of the jade green door panel that I did over. I put them against the body color to give a better idea. Thank you for looking and responding, Carmine.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Door Panel Green.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	450724

Name:	Door Panel Black.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	450725

Old 03-26-2017, 05:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Stick with the black

Old 03-26-2017, 05:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Green!

Old 03-26-2017, 06:14 PM
Senior Chief

I like the black

Old 03-26-2017, 06:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, just my 2 cents worth. There are a lot of black interiors out there. Some stock, some have been changed over. Black is a great interior color. Goes with any color. But I have always liked being a little different than everyone else. Kinda like that poem by Robert Frost "The Road not Taken". With that being said, I think that jade green interior is a handsome color and accents the Lime green very nicely. Plus if you go to a car show or cruise-in, how many cars will you see with this color combination?
Good luck,
Tony

Old 03-26-2017, 06:47 PM

Default Need your honest,

I'd say black interior with no vinyl top.

Last edited by tinindian68; 03-26-2017 at 06:56 PM.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Green all the way!!!!!

Old 03-26-2017, 09:45 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Carmine,
I personally like the green interior with the Tropical Lime exterior. I think black has it's place but the green would really be eye catching.

BTW, I included a photo of the passenger side front door panel from my car which matches the 71 door panel pattern from the DeMauro Pontiac GTO 1964-1974 book; your door panels don't look the same or have the chrome trim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmine View Post
candid opinion about something. Hi everyone. My '71 GTO is Tropical Lime Green and came with a factory jade green interior. It also came with a dark green vinyl roof. One of the previous owners, while having a frame off restoration done, decided to eliminate the top all together and change the interior to black. The interior/material/fabric is in very nice condition. I don't think it was ever painted green. It probably is a replacement interior. The owner before me, started reverting the interior back to the jade green. He had a new jade green headliner installed and the steering column and wheel, which had been painted black, are presently jade green again. I asked about this and he said he used lacquer thinner to dissolve the black paint, He also gave me 5 aerosol cans of a green dye. I am very undecided as to whether or not change the interior color. One minute I am all for it and then the next, want to just leave it alone. I am waiting for some parts to come in and this weekend, I had some spare time, so I decided to experiment. I removed the front door panels and arm rest. Prepared them properly and used the dye that was given me. They actually turned out real nice. I looked inside the arm rest and could see the original jade green color. This dye is a very good match. So, where do I go from here? I'm not a purists at heart, but I would like to keep things as original looking/operating as "reasonably" possible. I'm certainly going to need more dye and there is a lot more work involved to change the color back. The dash pad, front bucket seats, rear seat, rear seat panels, console and whatever else that is black , will have to be dyed. The work and added expense doesn't concern me. I just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing. I know it's my car and can do what I like with it, but it would be nice to hear the opinions of others. So please, don't spare my feelings and tell me what your thoughts are. You should also know that I'm leaning heavily towards a Sandstone vinyl roof. That should bring the colors together nicely. And, redline replacement tires. I will post 2 pics. One of the black door panel and the other of the jade green door panel that I did over. I put them against the body color to give a better idea. Thank you for looking and responding, Carmine.
Attachment 450724

Attachment 450725
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Interior door front panel (2).jpg
Views:	82
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	450764  

Old 03-26-2017, 09:48 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

do it just like the factory did including the top

1969 GTO Judge Warwick blue/blue, RAIII, 4 speed, tach/gauges, Safe T track, 3.55's, ps and radio.

1971 Torino 351c 4v GT convertible. White on white with black interior
4 speed, shaker, am/fm, ps/pdb, buckets/console, ac.
One of 26 made
Old 03-26-2017, 09:56 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Black interior. But if the headliner is green then you either need to change all to green or replace that headliner with black. No vinyl top for me.

Old 03-26-2017, 11:08 PM

Definitely leave it Black. Had a 71 GTO for years with a Sandlewood interior. I liked that but triple Green is usually the kiss of death to a muscle car. I agree that those are not 71 GTO door panels.

Old 03-27-2017, 06:58 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercar View Post
Definitely leave it Black. Had a 71 GTO for years with a Sandlewood interior. I liked that but triple Green is usually the kiss of death to a muscle car. I agree that those are not 71 GTO door panels.
Any idea what year they might be?? By the looks of the back side, they appear to be original to something. Chrome stripes mentioned in another thread; they are on my panels. They are vertical and I have them taped over because of the dye. Gives the impression of nothing being there. The GTO emblem on the door, I do believe was eliminated in '72 and replaced with a door pull of some type. The only other door this panel might fit would possibly be a '70??? I don't know. Maybe time to Google '71 GTO interiors, Carmine.

Old 03-27-2017, 07:42 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Just Googled everything from '69-'72, GTO, Judge and Lemans interiors and couldn't find anything that resembles my door panels. Hmmm......................, Carmine.

Old 03-27-2017, 12:05 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Carmine,
It looks close to a 1972 Heavy Chevy door panel. Also resembles a 69 Chevelle base door panel except for the chevron stripes. I went through the Ames catalog and couldn't find anything close.
Maybe PUI interiors would have a photo and maybe look in the Chevy A body section.

Old 03-27-2017, 12:26 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Coast GTO View Post
Carmine,
It looks close to a 1972 Heavy Chevy door panel. Also resembles a 69 Chevelle base door panel except for the chevron stripes. I went through the Ames catalog and couldn't find anything close.
Maybe PUI interiors would have a photo and maybe look in the Chevy A body section.
You could be correct. I'll take a look at those. The panels I have are original to something. The underside of the cardboard has yellowed some and gives the appearance of being older. The 3 small holes that hold on the GTO emblem also look to be factory. Nice and neat. Level. What's interesting, if someone did put these emblems on, they did a real nice job. But at the same time, they installed the whole panel on the door using sheet metal screws and small washers. Nothing designed properly and chromed like I've seen before. Can't figure that one out, Carmine.

Old 03-27-2017, 12:55 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The GTO panels do have five screws that hold the panel bottom to the door.
I looked at Legendary interiors and could not find a match for your panels but they do not have every door panels pictured.
If the panels fit, look good installed( what ever color you choose) then you may as well use em!

Old 03-27-2017, 12:55 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Just took a look at '69-'72 Chevelle and Heavy Chevy door panels. Didn't see any likenesses. Will keep looking, Carmine.

Old 03-27-2017, 08:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I like all the color rush cars. Red, blue, or green. They really Pop.
Black is oh so common.

Old 03-27-2017, 09:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Go back to the triple green!

1979 Trans Am 400, 4-speed, 4 wheel disc.

View from the drivers seat racing down Atco Raceway- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhYDMdOEC7A

Ride along in the other lane-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIzgpLtF_uw
Old 03-27-2017, 09:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've always been a fan of the monochrome cars too. That's what I call the all one color cars. I have two myself except for the black vinyl top on the '68. You have the added bonus of it being correct too. Keep going.