WELCOME!

Go Back   PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together > PY Welcomes 2004-06 GTO Owners > 04-06 General Tech/Discussion

04-06 General Tech/Discussion 2004-2006 GTO General Tech and discussion.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-27-2004, 10:22 PM

Glenn,

Judging by your complaints, I don't think you really understand the concept of a muscle car at all. A muscle car is minimalist by nature - if it doesn't help performance, then you don't put it on the car.

If I asked you to name the all time best muscle cars, what would you say? An L88 corvette? How about the Buick wildcat? Or <gasp> the Shelby cobra...

All of these cars were about performance first, and keeping your butt warm on a cold day second. All the crap you mentioned, particularly the stereo, just adds weight. Modern cars have to handle and stop as well as go fast, and while the numbers on the GTO are a little down, the fact that the Monaro already has an aftermarket will take care of a lot of that.

Personally, I LIKE the sleeper look - my current daily driver is a 96 impala, completely stock on the outside. I even like the single dual exhaust - the twin dual is a little too much of a giveaway that the car is something more than a fwd 6-banger. I do think the wheels need some work, though. They look too small for the body.

And I absolutely DO NOT want hood scoops. Too boy racer, IMHO.

I'm also not real impressed with the pontiac front end, either. You're right about GM's styling department. I've had the opinion for years now that it was the f-car's styling that did it in - it really sucked! GM's styling department has got to be the worst of any automaker's on the planet.

The 04 GTO is definitely going through some teething problems, but I think once GM gets the details worked out it will definitely take off.

I don't like the wheels on the new car, but I saw a car at a local dealer's tonight that had some beautiful chrome 5-spokes. Looked a little like Fiskes. They were also wider than the stockers, and stuck out a little bit from the fenders. Really gave the car some muscularity without looking ricey, the way hood scoops would.

I really think the car will catch on once they correct some of the styling cues. The basic car absolutely kicks ass.

Sincerely,

Randy Stone