Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-16-2007, 01:29 PM
Senior Chief

Default Clearing Brush to Plant Grass

A section of my property borders woods. A section of those woods that is approx 30 by 50 has been overgrown since I have been in the property. Over the last two weeks I cut down four trees, and pulled all the dead wood and brush out of this area. At this point I am left with green leafy weeds and brush that I manually cut with a cycle.

My goal is to reclaim as much of this land as possible, plant grass, and as it transitions back into the woods I want to plant rasberry and blue berry bushes for the kids.

I am pretty sure weeds and brush are going to grow back very quickly and over take any attempts I make at getting grass to grow there.

I thought about using a brush killing chemical, but if I do that how long must I wait to plant grass and berries. Would this be dangerous to the kids?

My other thoughts are to rent a machine to turn the ground so I can get all the roots out. Seems like a pretty tough job though.

Any ideas?