Non Pontiac Motors in Pontiacs includes factory 403,305,350 Chevy, Buick V6,
Also Pontiac Motors in non-Pontiacs!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-05-2008, 12:12 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 72' Caprice 402 engine - miss, low power, low compression on one cylinder....

Sorry, its not a Pontiac engine, but at least its a GM and my questions is about engines in general.... and no luck on the Chevy sites....

Well, upon everyones recommendation I did a compression check on my 72' Caprice wagon with the optional 402 engine. (Remind me to never buy a BB Chevy again LOL)

Backing up some... it runs good and smooth, but it has a miss and low power. Did a compression check and all cylinders are perfect on compression except the 3rd one back on the passenger side. Before it got dark I managed to remove the driverside valve cover (I did this before I checked the compression).... then I checked the compression and everything checked out OK on the driverside. I am going to remove the other valve cover tomorrow evening and see whats going on that side.

On that cylinder there is only 60 lbs of pressure on the first crank, whereas the others are much higher. On that weak cylinder, after the cranking stops, it holds the pressure and does not leak down.

I am not that "great" on engines, so I am not sure if its a worn camshaft, bent rocker arm, stuck valve etc, etc. As a side note, the car had been setting in a garage for many years. My old 69' Caprice with a 396 behaved the same way, but it ended up being a worn cam, but it also had a knock with the miss.... this 72' does not have the knock.

I hope its not the cam.... Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.