Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-29-2008, 10:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Ign. timing vs cam size

Hello all. I need someone to educate me on the theory of proper timing in relation to cam size. I already understand how initial, mechanical and vacuum timing work together. My current 406 engine combination, which is fairly mild my most standards, uses a hydraulic cam that is 222/228@ .050 and .465/.474 lift. The engine runs great with 11 degrees of initial and 24 degrees of mechanical for a total of 35 degrees. My vac can pulls an additional 14 degrees at cruise. I can't remember the stamping number on the centerplate, but according to my chart, that centerplate gives 12 distributor degrees which equals 24 crank degrees. Therefore 11 plus 24 equals 35 degrees plus 14 vacuum degrees equals 49 degrees total running down the hiway. Am I understanding this correctly so far? Last year, I installed a much larger solid flat tappet cam. The bad news is that cam lost four lobes after 12 miles of driving, but before it went south, I learned a few things that I need some help with. The new cam needed approx 20 degrees of inital timing to idle properly. My problem is becoming obvious now. Add 20 degrees initial to the 24 deg mechanical, and I have 44 degrees. The engine wouldn't last long with that kind of timing.Am I correct in saying, that the answer is to limit the mechanical travel down to about 15 degrees, so that on full advance, I will be back at 35 degrees. (20+15). How does limiting mechanical advance affect performance? What is the best way to limit the mechanical advance? My chart says that a #371 centerplate will give 9 deg in the distributor, or 18 deg at the crank, of mechanical advance. That still isn't low enough, and I can't find a centerplate that will limit it enough. Will the moroso kit that comes with a new centerplate, weights, springs and bushings solve this problem? How big does a cam need to be before this becomes an issue? I hope I haven't asked too many questions at once, and I really need someone to set me in the right direction before the new engine goes together. Thanks to anyone who can help.
Chris