Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-17-2014, 08:38 PM

Default distributor timing & losing my hair

Ok, here are my dilemmas,

70 GTO, 400 engine #13 heads Ra 3 exhaust manifolds mild cam Idk what, 16''- 17 vac at manifold 800 rpm, Hei ignition. Engine & trans have less than 2k miles since rebuild 10 yrs ago.

So I am going through the bugs my brother left in the car for years,

I got the car from my him after sitting 10ish years

I rebuilt the 600 holley (which is gone now) had it running pretty good but had alot of pinging, I tried to time it out with no avail & still keep it running well.

I rebuilt a Quadrajet # 17056274 800 cfm, with Cliffs book, Parts & help, installed it on the performer intake ( gone now also) just to see how different it would run, ran awesome but still got pinging, played with he timing no change, also new wires & plugs

Fast foreward...

I ripped the pos holley off threw it across the garage, ripped the performer off, threw it not as far )

Installed a stock 068 manifold with exhaust crossovers blocked.

I pulled the distributor out for inspection during this process & I was not happy with the condition of the unit overall, with the theory that 99% of carb issues is timing, Not knowing the age ( was not new) I replaced it with a NEW standard unit from my local reputable parts shop I have been using for 30 yrs. no spring or weight changes, I just wanted to get a baseline setting before I dealt with that. I cannot drive the car as I am waiting for linkages although I probably would not get very far anyway.

The main issues I am having before the swaps & now are when I try to set initial timing at idle the best idle I can get is 20 advanced, dialed back with a digital light, I can not even get it close to 12 let alone 10( only with vac line plugged) when I re connect it drops back to 20 & idling like sheet, Same with both distributors, although the timing mark on the new unit is steady as a rock the old unit was jumping all over the place.I put the unit in exactly where the old one was at first, same sheet, so i figured it might have been off a tooth.. went a tooth either way wouldn't start. I have confirmed the harmonic balancer mark is accurate by putting the #1 piston at tdc than I aligned the rotor AGAIN.

After screwin with the distributor I can get it to idle still at 20 and stinky stinky exhaust.
if I shut the motor off I can't get it to restart, it will sneeze up through the carb & unless I re adjust the dist and start all over it will not start.
I went through the carb again all looks good there
I can not find any vacuum leaks or any obvious issues, I have been out of the scene for 20+ years but I do have good mechanical abilities, I JUST CANT GET IT!!

Any insight or advise is greatly appreciated.

Thank You