Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-02-2014, 03:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Just installed a Powertrax No Slip in my 8.2 BOP

Just thought I would share my experience so far with the install.

I was tired of doing one wheel burnouts at the track. Car is a 67 FB, with 350P/Summit 2800/TH350/BOP 8.2 open with 3.23's. I had installed a looser converter to improve launch, but ran into traction issues with the open diff. It hampered my ability to take advantage of the new converter.

Solution? Powertrax No Slip by Richmond. After mulling over various options like an Auburn LSD, I decided this would be what I try. I did not want to go through a whole rebuild and setup of a rear end so that I would be stuck with the same gears due to carrier size. I am not at a power level that necessitates the bulletproof rear end, so this seems like a perfect fit. If/when I get significantly more power, then I will step up to something else like an 8.5 or maybe an aftermarket 9".

Besides... This was my first ever foray into a rear end, so I thought "baby steps..."

Price was matched by Summit from an Amazon seller. I got it for $435 plus shipping.

The unit arrived, and it was surprisingly simple. It was a sandwiching of 4 splined/geared pieces, splined spacers to accept the axles, plus a shaft to replace the spider gear shaft. Add to that a palm full of small springs, and that was it. The whole unit put together resembled a metal cheeseburger with a big whole pickle in the middle.

Install started on an afternoon. Jack up the back end, pull the cover, and drain the diff. Easy enough, so far so good. The next step was to remove the differential pinion shaft retaining bolt and shaft. It took a little bit of fuss, but the shaft presses out. Since the shaft holds the spider gears, they now came right out. These gears get removed and won't go back in. My wife will use them for artwork.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20141129_130104.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	383436   Click image for larger version

Name:	20141129_103225.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	383437   Click image for larger version

Name:	20141129_120054.jpg
Views:	256