Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-16-2020, 04:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default SAE 30 w non detergent oil for break in?

I know there are different schools of thought on this but I'll be breaking in my new engine soon that has a new hyd flat tappet cam. I hear that detergent oil can wash away the moly paste on cam lobes but that non detergent isn't good for cleaning the assembly junk and debris and helping seat the new rings. If I do use the cheap non detergent stuff I will be adding ZDDP. Plan on dumping the oil right after cam break in. Also thinking on the Gibbs driven 10W30 oil . Trouble w/ that is they have so o o many different oils to choose from. Thoughts?

FYI : The last time I did this (10 yrs ago) I used the cheap SAE 30 non-detergent oil from Walmart without removing the inner springs on my solid flat I had then. Seat pressure was 150# with 360# OTN. No problems with cam lobe wear after thousands of miles on that one.