Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-16-2021, 06:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Testing the 4.9 ESC module. Any ideas?

Is there a way to test the electronic spark module on the 4.9 turbo cars? Mine crapped out last year & I had to take the jumper wire approach so it would run again. I always run 91 or better octane & the car is only driven around town & sparingly. In the meantime, I have been watching for a replacement module & I found one that has been in storage for many years & I was told it came from a low mileage car when it was a year or two old. I realize first & foremost the car needs to start & run with the replacement module plugged in to verify its not dead, but is there a test to see if it is actually working? Maybe a pulsed ground input from the knock sensor wire & a timing light?

Does the knock sensor provide a steady ground, or maybe a pulsed ground with each ping it detects? I have never studied how the system works, I have only researched how to bypass a failed unit

Thanks, 68RT

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
78 S/E Trans am L78, WS6 Auto
78 S/E Trans am W72, WS6 Auto
79 10th aniv W72 Trans am
80 Indy pace car Trans am
89 Trans am GTA