Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-07-2021, 08:20 AM
Senior Chief

Default Drilling cooling holes

Ok I am willing to do this on my 455 build as I ALWAYS had cooling issues on my last 400 build....25 yrs worth. The 400 was iron headed .030 over TRW slugs, RAIV cam and headers at 10.2:1 compression. The only way I kept cooling "reasonable" was running the CARB a little fat. 4 row MODINE radiator every fan know to man kind, shrouds, waterpumps, pulley sizes...you name it NOPE. When I say reasonably cool I mean on a 90* day it ran at 210 idle in gear in traffic. Yes It would go do to 195* driving (160 thermostat) but I was at the mercy of the temp gauge (yes 10000% calibrated). When I went EFI in '08 even the ECU (its own sender) confirmed the dash gauge setting.

So can I get some clarification on this mod.?

https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...d.php?t=583733

here it shows what gets plugged and the 1 new hole in the block. (post 5) pic shows plugging the water holes in EXHAUST SIDE of block around forward most cylinder (1 or 2) then plugging the INTAKE side water hole toward FRONT between 3 and 5 (4 and 6) of cylinder.

So basically we are MAKING the water go from the FRONT of block toward REAR and the first time it is allowed to enter the head is thru the NEW hole between 3-5 (4-6) and of course all holes reward of that. This allows it to NOT "short circulate" around the front cylinder only?

Am I understanding this correctly? I would LOVE to be in control of water temp and not at the mercy of my ingenuity.