Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-05-2022, 02:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 68 electrical engineering

Boy when you look over the electrical system in a 68 GTO it's easy to see where about 3 relays would have made the system so much less likely to burn down.

I was just restoring the console harness and wondered about the big thick purple wires to the neutral switch .. yep, it's feeding a huge load from the battery to the neutral switch, to the ignition switch to the solenoid.

I noticed the purple wires had seen too much heat, I assume someone laying on the starter for two minutes overheated them. A relay on the firewall and they could have removed six feet of voltage sucking wire and a couple of high current connections.

Same with the headlights of course. At least they used one for the blower motor ... but then they also feed all that current through a cheesy speed switch on the dash.

I would have much rather had to replace a relay now and then than have critical circuits sending all that juice through a maze of wiring.