THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-27-2022, 11:05 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default NASCAR is talking about adding electric cars.

So they add and electric car, lets look at a race. The most common race is a 500 mile distance on the circular track. I do not think that there is any sudden changes on the near horizon about the electric motors or batteries. So lets break the race time down. Under high power load electric motors draw a lot of current. I will assume a 200 mile range on a full charge, and a top speed of 200 MPH for the electric car. To get the 500 miles you will need to start with a full charge, then do another full charge, and a half charge to complete the 500 miles. Driving time at 200 is 2.5 hours. One full charge is 4 hours, and a half charge is an additional 2 hours. That gives a total time for a 500 mile race of 8.5 hours.
Now lets take (your choice) a Dodge Neon, a Chevrolet Cobalt, a Ford Fusion, or a Toyota Camry. That car should be able to hold a steady 90 MPH around the track. The tires will not be under extreme stress so any good quality road tire should be able to go the distance. Drive time would be 5.55 hours. Fuel stops should not take more than 45 minutes. That gives a total race time of 6.3 hours. I think gas wins the race.