Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-23-2023, 12:02 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 1966 Grand Prix - refresh, rebuild, upgrade fun

Been a while since I've posted here. Thought I'd summarize what I've been doing Bought this car in 2015, and after some maintenance, I was able to enjoy driving it. Since that time I started collecting parts that one day I would add to the car. I came up with a plan to finally get started, so in Jan/2022 I began, Not surprising, as I took the care apart, the list of things I needed to do grew. Condensed summary follows. Many long, dirty, greasy, dusty hours involved.

On the initial list:

-Add several more options to an already nicely optioned car
-Pull the motor, detail it and the engine compartment/components'
-Factory 4 speed conversion w/console and Muncie M20

1. Option installs - Decided to do as much as possible before pulling the motor, completed these first:

-Added power drivers seat track, pass. recliner and headrests to my original seat set.
-Added rear defogger and vacuum deck lid release

2. Engine compartment - With the motor out I determined I had much more to do than I thought, and figured now is the time

-Pulled the motor/trans, wheel wells, grilles and bumper, AC condenser, and everything else off the firewall.
-Rebuilt entire front suspension, found one A arm had been bent when shaft bushing installed years back, Found a good replacement from Franks
-Stripped / prepped firewall, frame, wheel wells, and yea continued underneath to the rear bumper. Car had been undercoated and was now flaking off, surface rusting etc.
-Made a new sheet metal support that sits under the battery tray (wheel well to radiator support) which has rusted out
-Painted frame, suspension parts, firewall, radiator support, wheel wells, floorboards, gas tank, exhaust.
-Power brake booster rebuilt/painted, new lower bearing in the steering column
-Welded Z bar bracket to frame after determining location.
- Driveshaft painted and has new universals and slip yoke

3. Motor currently being worked on:

-Will replace timing chain set, water pump
-Media blast intake, valley pan, oil pan, all other related
-Helicoiled broken bolt in timing case
-Heads taken apart, blasted, getting new valve seals, valves cleaned up.
-Planning on advancing the cam 4 degrees with the Cloyes adjustable timing set I bought.

I have many pictures, some detailing specific parts of the work, maybe they will help someone, but here's just a few for now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220327_201731846.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	609498   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220403_192247111 (1).jpg
Views:	200
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	609499   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20230221_003633985 (1).jpg
Views:	203