Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-18-2023, 10:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Vanishing Clutch.....

Eleven years ago I swapped the Turbo 400 out of the GTO and a TKO600 in. I'm guess the car has traveled 20,000+ plus miles since. I used a hydraulic clutch setup. Recently where the pedal takes up in the pedals travel has dropped closer to the floor, but I'm not sure its completely because the clutch is worn. I tried bleeding the hydraulics and really didn't see a change. Last night I took the car for a ride and after starting it, getting the TKO into reverse was tough. Hard mash into the floor did it. Into 1st was fine, but pedal at the floor, and pulling off and clutch modulation was not problem. No issues during the 30 mile ride....until....I pulled out from one country road onto another, ran it gently through 1st gear, shifted into second and then rolled into it. Redline shift, hard through 2nd gear and then I couldn't find 3rd. I went to neutral and coasted a while and tried to find 5th. Nope. I found 4th and then 5th and headed home. Finding any gear was tough, but I got home. I left the GTO out while I did some stuff in the basement and then really struggled to get reverse and then 1st to pull the GTO into the basement. As this has played out over the last few weeks I initially thought the clutch was worn, then gradually I've changed that to the master or slave cylinder giving up. Pulling through the gears yesterday there was no hint of slip.

For some reason I ended up with 2 master cylinders as I installed the TKO (thank you Keisler) and I think I'll start putting the unused one in Saturday morning. Try the easy stuff 1st.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.