Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-16-2023, 10:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If you're one of those guys lucky enough to have one of Kris' converters very early on in Continentals existence, then I think you'll be fine with those gear changes without too much worry. I have one of his early converters and it's one of the best I've used.

Later on however towards the last year or two, after discussing with Kris his issues finding good cores and the specific parts he liked to use in his converters, it became apparent he couldn't build them as efficient as they once were. He was open about this and expressed to me how critical a rear gear change can be.

I experienced this first hand when messing with dad's car. He had 4 of Kris' continental converters in the car, and those are the ones I remember off the top of my head. They were too loose and he kept trying to tighten them up. The last one was as tight as it could be according to Kris and he warned to not drop the rear gear any further. At that time we were running 3.73's and I felt the converter was still a bit mushy. When I installed 3.42's (not that much of a change) it made a big difference on the street and became really not that pleasant to drive, just as Kris had said. Shortly after that Kris closed his doors.

That started the whole converter debacle on this car trying to find one that would couple well on the street but still work acceptable at the track. 2 converter companies later and 4 more tries finally got it.

Converters are a complex piece and not many out there can do one correctly, and the ones that can usually takes 2-3 tries to nail it down. Changing any variable around the converter can and will affect how it acts. That's why they have a page worth of questions when building a converter. What's the car weigh, how much HP, do you have a dyno sheet that shows the curve, what rear gear, what's the tire size, etc. etc....

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
The Following User Says Thank You to Formulajones For This Useful Post: