Interior TECH Upholstery, Carpet, Dash, Headliner...

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-02-2023, 03:00 PM
Senior Chief

Default Odometer repair/refresh

After searching the Tech and 70-72 GTO/Tempest/Lemans Tech forums, only a few threads were found which discuss the specifics of odometer (odo) repair/adjust. So I am posting this here to get some feedback from anybody with knowledge of the engineering/production of the odos in our cars.

Cars are: '72 Lemans Sport Vert & '72 Lemans HT. Odos are most likely in all '70-'72 GTO/Lemans/Tempests. I've been in several odometers and their construction is a little confusing (discussed later), but they are easily cleaned up to get them working again.

Recently my vert began to appear to be dragging with slight clicking sound. Upon opening it, I discovered a new "part". The speedo/odo appear to be a virgin, so I am very confident that it has never been molested (unlike some others). The part is shown in the first two posts below, w/broken off missing center piece.

It is a semi-hard, off-white plastic (50+ yrs old) which is installed on the silver "legs" of the odo cylinders to keep them together. The silver "legs" are split to fit over a bar below the numbers (again appearing to be to keep the correct {once set} numbers together). The third pic shows the bar (with open area on left) where the "legs" are fastened, and the 4th pic is my attempt to duplicate the "part" with mixed results.

Does anybody have knowledge of the engineering design/manufacture of the odos to try and clear up some of my questions? I would certainly appreciate any ideas.

TIA,
Ogre
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2050.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	620885   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2051.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	620886   Click image for larger version