Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-18-2023, 11:25 PM

Default Inside release/ locking hood latch project

I bought one of those inside release/ locking hood latches for my '69 GTO as I don't like how anyone can open it from the outside, and I don't want to have to use a chain and padlock. The kit I bought was from the Parts Place, though this same kit seems to be sold from numerous vendors, and I'll describe below as well as on the included pics my process.

Overall- I was not impressed with the latch itself. It didn't match the shape of the original latch, it lacked the secondary safety latch, and overall felt thinner/ cheaper. Also, one of the latch fasteners was a bolt that would protrude up into the engine bay which would look bad, imo. I ended up cutting the locking portion of this and welded it to my original latch which solved all the above complaints, and I was able to retain the OG look while adding a modest sense of security to my car. I'm sure someone could overpower it if they pull hard enough or keep tugging. Hope I never have it tested..

At first I thought I would use this, and proceeded to remove the welded bolt and replaced it with a nutsert so I could re use the original fastener, and then gave the latch a coat of paint to help it look weathered like the rest of my car, but then decided to just add this locking part to my original latch. I cut it off and welded it onto my original, and then used a 3/16" rod to create the locking pin.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7129lr.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	623446   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7138lr.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	623447   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7139lr.jpg
Views:	114