Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-13-2024, 11:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default What Is The Low Down On Carter Muscle Car Fuel Pumps

1971 Trans Am

I know there's all sorts of better options for when you need more fuel. I know I'd be better off with an in-tank electric, full size return and so on. I know RobbMc makes these big mechanical pumps.

My particular deal is I'm trying to go faster without a bunch of unsightly "race" looking stuff and get good bang for buck. I've got the factory hard fuel line to a factory Q-Jet and so I like to keep the factory "big can" style fuel pump.

Now I did find an interesting post on the inlet and outlet hose locations. Basically, that’s the difference between the M6122 and M6405 and neither of them match factory for my 71 F body.

On Summit the price difference is pretty big between the two and the M6405 is sold as a “Muscle Car Series” pump and the spec shows 120gph vs the 40gph of the M6122 and all the other “OEM” spec pumps. That would be really cool if true. And the price is indeed almost 3x higher for the M6405. However, if one visits the Carter spec page or, for example, the RockAuto info page one sees both listed as 40gph (although the price difference remains).

So, anyone know what the deal is? Are Summit smoking something? Are Carter themselves confused? Are there “two” M6405s?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/c...2/make/pontiac
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/c...5/make/pontiac

Sam

Sam Agnew

Where you come from is gone; where you thought you were going to, weren't never there; and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.
Ministry - Jesus Built My Hotrod
The Following User Says Thank You to glhs#116 For This Useful Post: