Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-02-2024, 09:23 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 326 head questions

Long story, I'll try and make it short. A half dozen years ago, after test driving a 67 Lemans, I bought it's 326 engine for my GTO roller, I just needed something to make my car easier to work on. The seller wanted to keep the headers and roller rockers that were on the 326, and he would install some OEM rockers back on the 326, I agreed. I installed the 326 with open exhaust into my GTO, and used it to move the car in and out of the shop, probably had 30 minutes run time doing this. When I installed the exhaust system, there was a lot of loud clicking from the DS valve cover. I pulled the cover and discovered that the seller had installed pre 67 rockers that didn't have the squirter holes, well my rockers and valve tips got chewed up pretty badly, that's why I'm taking them to the machine shop. Also the pass head had epoxy that covered up the heads ID #, I chipped it off and it's a "094" casting, while the DS is a "140". My questions are: Will the mismatched heads cause a problem? I bought Elgin RK 535 rockers for a 67 326, so can I also use these on the "094" head? What length push rods should this engine have? Also, the AMES catalog sells 1967 - 77 V8 rocker arms ( except 1967 326 engines) what's up with that? Thanks!